PDA

View Full Version : Ring trip - last trackday for 99 VR-4

chris g
26-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Before 99 car is sold it looks like I may manage one more visit to Nurburgring Nordschleife - group will include hopefully MR2 turbos, Mazda RX7 turbo, an Evo 7 and Nissan 350Z from Italy plus my VR-4

Should be going Fri 13 Aug 0700 Dover ferry and returning either Mon 16 or Tue 17 Aug prob 1400 or 1515 ferry

More likely to be Tue 17 Aug return

Anyone want a ride out to the Ring as passenger with me or bring your car

If passenger you pay your hotel, food and drink - no other costs - journey is more pleasant with a passenger although we travel as a group usually

Italian cars will be joining us from Sicily and Genoa

Hopefully ferry journies will coincide/meet at Dover or we may meet en route in France or Belgium

So, anyone interested? - what about you Japmetal?

Japmetal
26-07-2004, 10:04 PM
I would love this - any idea how much accomodation is roughly ? Think I'll stick to passenger tho, I'd be slightly outclassed in the power/trackday stakes anyway :laugh:

chris g
26-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Japmetal

People circulate in all sorts - it's lapping the place that is the fun

I started in an auto MR2 normally aspirated - now your car cannot be much slower if any slower at all

However if you want to passenger with me then hotel costs are:
(45€ single room, 80e double)

I book a single so your costs would be same 45 euros pppn b & b for 4 nights
Arrive Fri - return Tue

Still checking plans of others and I have not booked ferry or hotel but likely to do that tomorrow or in next few days

How soon can you sort time for the trip

Can you do it at short notice or will you need so many days notice

Let me know and I then know how much time I have to sort out my plans

Japmetal
26-07-2004, 11:21 PM
If those are the definite dates, I just need enough time to book then off work [which I can do tommorrow/day after !]

beyond time off work, there's nothing to sort out really, besides where to meet you - definately cant afford to take the car at the mo, and I have a few issues to sort out before taking it on any long-haul trips besides :(

chris g
27-07-2004, 07:58 AM
I need today to check things and then decision time tonight and you can book tomorrow Wed - I need to confirm trip going ahead and dates as Mon or Tue return undecided

Will post message this evening

Physician
27-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I need today to check things and then decision time tonight and you can book tomorrow Wed - I need to confirm trip going ahead and dates as Mon or Tue return undecided

Will post message this evening

I was just doing some calcs Chris ...... roughly how much is the ferry cost rtn? And Ring costs?

Fuel = £190 from Leicester (not including Ring laps), Hotel x 4 nts = £120, Food/ancilliaries etc = £100 .... sound about right ???

Thanks,

Richard

chris g
27-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Richard

I stopped counting how much I spend on a a Ring trip when I realised the cost for each trip would frighten me

So.....as a guide

Ferry costs vary depend on day/time of crossings but for Aug trip 5 days - quoted from around £94 early 0600 start and late 2130 return - to £166 for reasonable start 0700 and afternoon 1415 return

I have a deal sorted with an agent who can get us £125 for Hoverspeed 0700 out and around 1400 return - thats a decent deal and maybe a little less if a few cars book same trip

It is about 270 mls to Ring from Calais
Rooms are 45 euros single/80 euros double b & b pppn
Ring laps are around 13mls and costs are for single lap/5 laps/6 laps/12 laps tickets - whatever you want
Petrol used per lap depends on your right foot
Food and drink whatever you consume but good portions/value

I never calculate what I spend anymore - after quite a number of visits I just go/buy fuel/lap/eat/drink/come home

Are yoou thinking of joining us or planning a later trip

This will prob be last trip to have my company in my VR-4 for passenger laps or following me around

Unless of course I can still get the 91 VR-4 with 4G63 engine after my car sold

Hope you can go with us

Chris

chris g
27-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Do we have the beginning of a Club VR-4 Ring trip?

Physician
27-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Hahaha! OK, thanks for nothing Chris - lol.

My calcs suggest (so that you CAN worry on your last trip in the VR4) that the total is roughly £575 :sad3:

Seriously, it does get quite expensive doesn't it ...... but worthwhile for the fun I'm sure. There is just ONE thing that really annoys me - no video/photos allowed from the car.

Thanks anyway,

Richard

chris g
27-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks Richard, trying not to look at figures

People have done videos - hiddenbullet cams or hand held by passengers but easier to do now with small digital cams doing video footage

Sounds like you are not joining us with car - ? as a passenger ?

Physician
27-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Sounds like you are not joining us with car - ? as a passenger ?

No, I won't thanks Chris but I was tempted for a couple of hours.

Whilst writing ..... your car is EXACTLY the spec I wanted when I was looking for a VR4 a few months back. I ended up with a very good one with 40,000 miles but Silver and no sunroof whereas my list of requirements stated Black with sunroof. The one I found had such a good history that I decided not to wait for the precise spec I had wanted. Somewhat less expensive than yours as well.

Anyway - have a good blast with Japmetal; I envy you.

Richard

chris g
27-07-2004, 10:21 AM
OK Richard - would have been nice to have more Club VR-4 people along

As far as price goes I am open to negotiation and its a lovely car - lovely sound from the Tube Torque exhaust - IMHO a far better system than an HKS Drager - not all s/s - had HKS on my MR2 - but everyone to their own choices

chris g
27-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Japmetal

Asuming car OK and ferry/hotel available as required then the Ring trip is on!

Ferry Dover 0700 out - return Calais approx 1400

Hotel Fri-Tue 4 nights b & b

The other important thing is a meeting place en route

As i would usually go down M6 it would be convenient to pick you up at a motorway services or some other motorway junction

Service better if you have been dropped off and I am delayed

We need to sort this out

I will book a room tomorrow morning - before midday - for you, if you confirm overnight or first thing in the morning

We are all trying to be in same hotel

RX7 may not be part of trip - he may bring his Mk1 MR2 instead

So fingers crosssed everything goes smoothly and bookings available as wanted

Send PM if you prefer if you want to confirm/discuss and/or arrange things

chris g
28-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Japmetal

I need to know whether you are still able to go on Ring trip

Have you sorted time off work - def Fri to Tue

I would meet up with you lat Thurs night for leisurely drive to Dover

Get back home Tue evening maybe 1000ish depending on M6 traffic

Booking hotel today and prob ferry tomorrow

Also need your full name for ferry company as part of booking car onto the ferry - also name for hotel booking

Get back to me as soon as possible

Chris

Japmetal
28-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Full name; Daniel Varley

I could meet you at Lymm services just off the M6 if this is viable ? [just after the Thelwall Viaduct !]

I am definately going - bored of NOT doing things because I'm skint

usual convo would go along the lines of "been up to much?" "Nah not really "

Much better to say "Actually, This nutter took me round the Nurburgring in his VR4 !!" :-b

I shall PM you my mobile phone No so you can get in touch if necessary !

chris g
28-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi Daniel

Got your PM and tel no noted

I have seen your name I think when an event was being planned but at my age and infirmity I tend to forget more things now

Now where was I....oh yes going abroad - will send off fax to hotel for single room - 45 euros b & b pppn and then meeting you en route

I did not even know that thing was know as Thelwall Viaduct - anyway I should be able to meet at Lymm Services but NOT on my map - are they like a service area off the motorway - sounds like it - as long as its not toof ar off course and I can find it then we are OK

Other matters - get an E111 from a post office and do you want to get a crash helemt if you do not already have one - travel insurance - passport up to date and in your hand

I do not always wear my crash helmet but when its busy or other reasons for caution then I will wear it - I would suggest you do have one with you

We can confirm other details nearer to date but partic where the hell are Lymm Services?!
(old fogey pushes zimmer frame aside, gets more maps out and starts looking with magnifying glass)

chris g
28-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Do you mind, its ' a mature nutter took me round Nurburgring in his VR-4'!

chris g
30-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately Japmetal has had to pull out of trip to Nurburgring Nordschleife so there is a passenger seat and hotel room available for anyone that wants to go - just pay for your hotel, food and drink

So get in touch with me as soon as possible to take this golden opportunity to visit the Ring - it should be lots of fun

Chris - 07946 086 440

Kieran
30-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Is there a lay-by somewhere on the circuit for me to have a 'pit-stop' as it were? Nothing major, just somewhere to stop and have a quick fortifying cup of Earl Grey with a nice slice of ginger cake and give Hordak a quick wash whilst I'm there, shortly before donning my driving gloves and goggles and returning to the fray? :)

chris g
30-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Well part way round the track, at Breidscheid there is an exit/entry point where you can adjust your goggles,get a drink (may not be earl grey) and a snack, tighten your glove and a garage where you might be able to wash 'Hordak' - not certain how well that will be received by the locals as I do not know if 'Hordak' is the car, a pet or some part of your anatomy

However, assuming all of this to your satisafaction, is that a yes to visiting the Ring or are you a dilletante like most people on this Forum?

If I knew what that word means I am sure that I might be insulting a few people

Kieran
31-07-2004, 09:34 AM
I fall into the 'Dilletante' class I'm afraid. Though I thought it was spelt with one L and two ts... Perhaps I'm not such a dilettante after all?! :-D

chris g
18-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Well for those amongst you who could not make the trip, perhaps more notice needed for a grand CVR4 trip - how about next easter and/or a date in June - anyway the trip has been completed and I think Japmetal (Dan) would agree that it was memorable - the cars, the tracktime the company and the laughs

Memorable partic for me was getting to grips with the benfits and advantages of 4WD and AYC in some of the wettest conditions I have ever seen at the Ring - and it was great fun as well nobody could keep with us or drive around the bends like we were

Only one kamikaze M3 actually flew past us in the wet and disappeared into the distance

We also had lots of sun and it was a fantastic w/e - despite the rain we got sunburned

I will wait for Dan to give some of his views of the place and his experiences and the highlights

Japmetal
21-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Everyone needs to do this at least once - what a fantastic place !!

not just a massive race-track, but set in some of the most amazing countryside aswell !!

The wet-weather driving was fun - although I felt maybe we should have been driving a canoe at times, the amount of water on the track !! And when the M3 came past [it was a CSL, don't feel too bad !] I couldnt believe it - He didnt even seem to be trying :rolleyes5

Or how about the maroon M5, rally-prepped, who drove sensibly until the cameras came out, then hung the back end out well and truly at rather high speeds !

Also, my 3 laps round the ring with a mad Italian in his flame-spitting Evo 7 were equalled only by the enthusiasm he showed for Chris's VR-4 [at one point proclaiming it to be the "Ultimate Mitsubishi" !!]

Can't think of much more at the moment - except to thank Chris and his friends for taking me in and making me feel welcome; It's just a shame we had to come back :sad3: