PDA

View Full Version : Buying a VR-4

bluefox
28-07-2004, 03:11 AM
Hi all,

Im a newby to this forum and I am looking to buy a legnum VR-4 in the next short while.

Im from New zealand as you might be able to tell and this site seems to be a brilliant spot to find advice about VR-4's.

Im just wondering who the best dealers to look through are????
and what to look out for when buying one?????

dickytim
28-07-2004, 05:51 AM
www.autotrader.co.nz enter mitsi legnum then goto advanced search put in VR4 and if you are smart Manual, the best dealers are the ones with them on the lot, look for Autosure approved and STAY away form Royale cars, both in Panmure and Hamilton. Get an AA check, when these things go you are looking at serious $$$$$$

I can also recommend both 4 guys autobarn and Paul Walker cars, both in Hamilton, try to stay away from auckland dealers (expensive). If they dont have one both can bring in a car to order.

Any way good luck.

PS try to get a stocker.

bluefox
28-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Cheers DIckytim,

YEah I've been lookin in Autotrader, and theres plenty there, but rare as hens teeth for a manual one, but I aint gonna get an auto, YUCK!!!!!

Yeah Id get a AA check and a warranty when i bought one, ben stung with my current car on that.............

Ha funny you mention about royale cars, they have a VR4 ther at the moment with so much stuff on it that it looks disgusting.....

Cheers for your help anyway ill be posting as I find some possibles anyway...

KiwiTT
28-07-2004, 07:52 AM
I got mine from "Buy Right Cars".

The Tiptronic is almost like a manual if you want it. Some people find the gear change slow, but not in mine. Ideal - if you drive a lot in Auckland :)

dickytim
28-07-2004, 09:12 AM
if it is a white one with the 3 inch exhaust, cold air box, ajustables every concevable guage, and light weight rims, I personally wouldn't touch it, if you did don't pay more than $16000 for it. And sorry to disagree KiwiTT but the auto is still just an auto. Which is good for some but not for others. The manuals seem to hold their value slightly better.

auto = lady driver
manual = Micheal Schumaker

:$

Spirit
28-07-2004, 09:43 AM
If it helps, also have a read of the Buyers Guide......just click HERE (http://www.p.honey.btinternet.co.uk/buyersguide.htm)

enigma
28-07-2004, 10:55 AM
auto = lady driver

With tip you get the best of both worlds, its just there is no need to have a manual when the auto shifts quicker and better! :D

bluefox
28-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Cheers all I will have a look at all those places.

DIckytim, yeah thats the one, and no I wont be touching it aye....You know it??

Ah I think I'll stick with the manual aye, both my parents have tip-tronic mitsi's and they are having no end of problems with them...... You just dont feel as much in control either, well my thoughts anyway......

Anyone got any thoughts on whats a "fair" price in NZD for a 97, or 98 Legnum VR-4.......... Its hard to get a decent idea just looking at car dealers.....

KiwiTT
28-07-2004, 10:16 PM
auto = lady driver

Now where did I put the Lipstick; oh that's right behind the rear-view after adjusting my makeup :$

The latest F1 cars have fully automatic transmissions, however this is changing back to "Manual Gear Selection", i.e. "tiptronic" :D Therefore Michael Schumacher is a Lady Driver. Albeit a fast "lady" driver.

Kieran
28-07-2004, 10:19 PM
auto = lady driver

:-D Hmmm! I'm not sure I like being compared to him! But for the sake of not wanting to incite xenophobic comments and potentially libelous statments, I won't elaborate further! :lipsrseal :$ :$

dickytim
29-07-2004, 12:40 AM
$18-20g for a manual with reasonable k's. look for 60-80km

KiwiTT
29-07-2004, 12:45 AM
... both my parents have tip-tronic mitsi's and they are having no end of problems with them...

Anyone got any thoughts on whats a "fair" price in NZD for a 97, or 98 Legnum VR-4.......... Its hard to get a decent idea just looking at car dealers.....

In August 03 I got my 96 VR-4 Tiptronic Saloon for $15K. I felt that it was a bargain, as I got 17" Alloys, Upgraded Springs, Lowered, Adjustable Shocks, HKS Air Induction.

As for the tiptronic problems, could your parents have the basic 4 speed versions or the better 5 speed ones that come in the VR-4's.

i3ooyah
29-07-2004, 01:17 AM
i got mine from city cars on great north road, they gave me a free 1year mechanical warranty & replaced the cambelt for free, they also did a aa check on it & tidied up the lil scratchs if any so u get a nice mint car

brought jan of this year for $16k

bluefox
29-07-2004, 02:45 AM
Cheers guys, awesome help here..........

KiwiTT.......... The parents have the 4speed tippys, probably the reasons they are playing up so much id guess.........

Any obvious things to look out for as signs that they have been given a hard time in the past??

Scotty
02-08-2004, 10:38 AM
First post.. Don't flame if I screw it up... :p

I brought my 98 white\pearl legnum vr-4 for $10grand a month or so ago. They seam to be coming a bit down in price now. Although I did get mates rates. One of the best things about it is the tan leather interior... But **** it is cold in the mornings.. hehe

bluefox
03-08-2004, 02:52 AM
Scotty............ WOW!!!!!!!! 10 grand is amazing, where are you gettin deals like that for on a 98 legnum VR4????? How many kms has it done??

Rima
02-11-2004, 09:28 AM
I got mine from "Buy Right Cars".

The Tiptronic is almost like a manual if you want it. Some people find the gear change slow, but not in mine. Ideal - if you drive a lot in Auckland :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much and how many k's did it have?

A work mate bought one recently, 109k's around 13 - looking at spending a little more to get under that 100k mark.

matsondawson
02-11-2004, 10:53 AM
I imported my 2000 model VR4 Type S Manual (25,000km) from Japan for $19500 all up. I think at the time in NZ if it was available that would have cost around 26k+.

There's a nice one here for 24k(could probably get a discount) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-16284011.htm
It has recaros, and is a Type S

KiwiTT
02-11-2004, 09:04 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much and how many k's did it have?

Just below 80K - $15K

Pescha
12-11-2004, 09:59 AM
I wish people wouldn't stereotype gender. My golly, I own (yes I own) a tiptronic and I'm still yet to get beaten by boy racers that have spent thousands hotting up their beasts! I've even beaten late model SS holdens, XR6 falcons late model, skylines GTS-T's and GTS4's etc etc etc. Nothing wrong with tiptronic transmissions if you know how to drive them. I have to disagree with Auckland being expensive, I got mine in Auckland (car yard) for $13, 999 April 2003 (details what it is in my signiture) we looked at several legnums in Hamilton from assorted dealers, from 1800cc's to vr4's (still keeping an eye on prices now) and we were at the time looking at paying between $13,000 to $15,000 just for an 1800cc, so when we saw our VR4 for $13,999 (we are the first NZ owner, the 2nd overall owner) we snapped it up! Just have a set price and go looking thats my advice and if you get a tiptronic make sure the transmission is ok!

Pescha
Sole lady mowner of a VR4 Legnum!

i3ooyah
13-11-2004, 03:02 AM
ahhhh ive seen your car pescha in akld a while back

very nice clean ride

Pescha
13-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Haha, can't miss me with my name as the number plate. We travel everywhere in her. We went to Rotorua and Tauranga yesterday, and we are heading to Hamilton today some time! So if ya see me wave always admire other VR4's, I hope my baby was clean (as in dirt) as I have a very busy lifestyle and sometimes my baby does get negected unfortunatley :$ !

Cheers for the compliment,
Pescha!

i3ooyah
14-11-2004, 05:36 AM
yea i waz like

where the hell have i seen those plates b4, lol im so duuuh sometimes

i waz in the silver legnum with the carbon bonnet, aftermarket front & white rims. i'll hail you down nex time.

Pescha
14-11-2004, 09:23 AM
You do that, just been up to Auckland to buy a stainless steel muffler for my VR4! It's second hand off another VR4 but it was only $85.00, the dimensions are:

Brand - unknown
Inlet - 60mm diameter
Outlet - 110mm diameter
Tip - 200mm long
Muffler - 350mm long
Total length of 550mm

Its a best lol....

Going to see how loud it is and see if I need a silencer, it's in good nic! (see pic!)...

I think you'll hear me coming before you see me....

Pescha! (Rock on the extra hp's & kw's lol)