PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet lining

Scanny
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
does it serve any purpose other than reducing engine noise? i am seriously thinking about removing it because i like the roar of my engine. is there any reason not to?

Atik
05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Additional heat protection. Means that the bonnet doesnt get scalding hot.

funkstardelux
05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
as atik says, hence silver lining plus also i think its a fire safety blanket incase your engine decides to ignite itself

Johnny_Cashed
05-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Is it possible to replace the bonnet lining as mines looking a little tired?

Scanny
05-03-2010, 09:48 PM
points noted but how do the guys with EVO 6 vents deal with this? assuming they are cut in rather than stick on, surely they need to cut away part of the lining which would have an effect on its intended purpose/s?

Atik
05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Well the vents in the bonnet allow the excess heat to vent out, therefore the bonnet doesnt absorb the engine heat. Its when you have a closed bonnet space, the heat will inevitably build until the 'rising' heat is absorbed alost totally on the bonnet. Good if you want to fry an egg ;)

And yes the bonnet lining can be taken off and replaced. I have done that on my car and have replaced the VR4 silver one with a V6 black one. I'm not sure if Mitsubishi stock them or if they are available at all!

elnevio
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Well, according to ASA, the 'hood insulation' for my Leggie is:

MR214609

ANTHONY
06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, according to ASA, the 'hood insulation' for my Leggie is:

MR214609is it listed as hi ho/duh

elnevio
06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Anthony, I often admire the intense subtlety and Sahara-esque dryness of your sense of humour - but even I am clueless as to that one! :huh2:

Jane
06-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Anthony, I often admire the intense subtlety and Sahara-esque dryness of your sense of humour - but even I am clueless as to that one! :huh2:

Silver lining ???

elnevio
06-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Silver lining ???
Aw, man! He could have at least quoted funkstardeluxe's post instead of mine! :hal:

ANTHONY
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Aw, man! He could have at least quoted funkstardeluxe's post instead of mine! :hal:keep up nev

Jane
06-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Aw, man! He could have at least quoted funkstardeluxe's post instead of mine! :hal:

Oh, was I right?

Wow.

ANTHONY
06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Oh, was I right?

Wow.yes you were jane :bananadan .......his so slow heheheheh

Gly
07-03-2010, 01:43 AM
i have the evo style vented bonnet,
im using the heat lining from the vr4 bonnet, just cut out the piece where the vent is

Davezj
28-04-2010, 08:38 PM
i was thinking of removing the lining from my bonnet.

reason for removing:-
to get rid of heat, i don't care if the bonnet gets hot, that is a good thing.
When the car is moving the bonnet will be cold due to air rushing over it, under side of bonnet will get hot, and heat transfer through the bonnet will occur.
When car is stationany the bonnet will get hot which is a good thing as this will shed heat to the air.
The only reason i can see for having a insulation under the bonnet is to soak up a bit of engine noise, which i don't mind. the factory insulation will not help with vibration as it is not actually rigidly bonded to the bonnet only with loose clips. so it is purly heat and noise.

so after the MOT on friday it is coming off.

Turbo_Steve
28-04-2010, 10:20 PM
but...but....but.....THE LIFTERS!!!!!?

Davezj
28-04-2010, 10:24 PM
but....but......but......

mine lifters are oh so quiet.

Scanny
29-04-2010, 09:34 AM
this is still niggling at me. i couldnt have done it on the GDI anyway because the lining wasnt attached as i thought. i thought it was those buttons that pop in to holes in the bonnet but this stuff seems to be glued on. i got a finger covered in it when i touched it and that car is going next week anyway
i might take the time to remove it from the V6 though. i cant wait to hear the engine which is supposed even nicer than the GDI so noise is no reason to keep the lining. heat is a strange one. unless it retains more heat under the bonnet then i dont see the problem. the outside shouldnt be an issue anyway as the only part of the bonnet you touch is right at the front which has no insulation anyway nor source of heat as the radiator does not generate heat.