PDA

View Full Version : Gabs

VR4WGN
05-03-2010, 07:46 PM
well i finally took the crappy Teins out and put the gABs in and i dont get any roll now,the tyres dont touch the guards now and the car sits lower..
however coz i paid reasonable $$ for the Teins i thort i would maby put them in the Mivec Wagon..is there anyhting i can do to test them maby for wear or anything?

mpau009
05-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I think that model actually just has too soft of a spring rate..

I had them side by side with a factory spring, and my current setup, and i actually thought the Tein Low-Down Cool Master what-ever-the-****-base-model they were,, were softer than factory.

Not bad mouthing Tein at all, but that entry level style master type dealie were just not up to the effort of having the car certified..

scott.mohekey
05-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Do the stock springs fit on the tein shocks?

mpau009
06-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Do the stock springs fit on the tein shocks?

Not with the ones i had.. the factory spring would be maybe a third larger in diameter of the coils.. that was my plan too at one point :P

scott.mohekey
06-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Not with the ones i had.. the factory spring would be maybe a third larger in diameter of the coils.. that was my plan too at one point :P

Doh! I'm guessing its the large adjustable height bolts that the stock springs would slip over? Get some bigger ones made?

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
or just dont own a set of these top NOTCH suspension units lol....

thfelipeth
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
can you get harder springs for the teins?? anyone know... i have them on my car and i agree abit too soft.... abit undecided.. but could do with harder springs.. i like the firmer ride.

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
try GABs man,i honestly swear by them now that im used to them lol,had these now in both my vr4's(purple ones) and wouldnt change them for anyhting else

scott.mohekey
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
You probably can get harder springs for them. But as these shocks are discontinued, you might have to pay a premium. It might be better to sell them on to someone that likes the sail boat experience and pay the difference on some decent coilovers.

MarkSanne
06-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I've used both the 'BASIC' TEIN coilover and the TEIN coilover set that can also be adjusted in firmness (30-steps or something like that) on the Legnum. The difference is massive! The BASIC is around as good or maybe slightly better compared to stock, but the other TEIN's are just perfect. Tight corners can now be taken without hesitation or any feel of wooly-ness. I love it! Then again, on the (much lighter!) VR2 I have a TEIN Basic set which I absolutely love on that one. I think weight is a big factor!

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
its a pity.. id rather sell these and buy those Gabs and hav gabs i nboth but then again a cruiser must have a comfy suspension so maby i will keep them for the mivec then

thfelipeth
06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
try GABs man,i honestly swear by them now that im used to them lol,had these now in both my vr4's(purple ones) and wouldnt change them for anyhting else cool thanks fellas! i'll look into gabs and see if its worth buying.. or i'll go back to stock with aftermarket springs... we'll see... p.s i'll upload pics of the taillights on my legnum quinton..

VR4WGN
07-03-2010, 12:10 AM
do that man,id love to see it.. um i dont think you can buy Gabs anymore ey,um when we meet up sometime you can take mine for a drive and a feel,the tyres let go before any suspension roll lol..

um personally besides the Gabs i like the king springs,they are really comfy,or the RS-r t2000's i think theyr called

bradc
07-03-2010, 08:01 AM
The TEIN's use standard size springs, any suspension shop should be able to make up a set of springs for you. My plan if Quinton was going to sell them to me cheaply was to put in 8kg springs at the front and 6kg at the rear, the basic's have 5kg and 3kg and that just simply isn't stiff enough.

VR4WGN
09-03-2010, 02:14 AM
:undecided well further the moaning of these items i purchased!! i tried to adjust the rings(move them) and have failed miserably!!,so much for the " yes theyr all working fine" qoute!!!

how do i get these rings to move again?:stupid:
i have 2 keys and a BIG Hammer and a lot of nice words?? would this help?:ranton:

Kenneth
09-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Take them to a suspension shop.

The problem you describe is common, as you would expect with a steel shock body and Aluminium alloy spring retainers.

VR4WGN
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
damn more work involved then!! these are beginning to cost more than what theyr worth!!

RXWPN
26-03-2010, 04:44 AM
I bought some Tein coilovers a few years back and sent them back to the supplier 3 times asking them to firm up the shocks they were rediculously soft. Left the back springs standard and put 10kg ones in the front now its perfect! Its reasonable comfortable on max soft and back breaking on max hard :)