PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control

The Vee
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Never did plumb in the cruise control when I swapped the engine. So, as my air bleed screw has always been knacked since I imported the engine, thought Yesterday I'd take a look and yes it was all munched up. Wonder where I can get another throttle body? I know, I'll put on the V6 one to see if that affects performance as well plus connect the cruise to boot.
Not quite straight forward but easy enough. Just had to swap the lower part over from the vr4 one as the water heater connections go different ways. Then just put it on (with the v6 gasket as its slightly different face) but mates up with the plenum perfectly.
Result?
I now have a decent air bleed screw that works. I also have cruise control, that works (after an iffy start as I had forgotten which way to push the stalk to set it /pan) and performance change?
Well, maybe something has always been wrong with the old throttle body, but the car went well enough. Now though, it is so damn eager and the throttle response is awesome. Havn't done a detailed test yet like checking AFRs etc but three gains from one throttle body. Can't be bad!

Spirit
05-03-2010, 08:55 PM
/megawoot Excellent mate, that's a fine result

Mark 4
05-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Sounds too good to be true Andy, keep an eye on things :uhoh:

psbarham
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
top marks,

i bet the performance gains comes from the fact the v6 tb is bigger than the pfl vr4 one.

The Vee
05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds too good to be true Andy, keep an eye on things :uhoh:

Aye, on a long run to Dorset tomorrow, so think I'll take the old lappy with me and do some logging! ...nothing to do with trees. /pan

Turbo_Steve
05-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Cool - as Paul says, bigger TB will maybe have opened things up a bit.
Did you really bother reconnecting the throttle plate heater? :(

GalantOnly
05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
One of my VR4's got a V6 TB because I've fitted factory V6 cruise control on it. It's acually a bit faster then the other standard 6A13TT/yes

bradc
07-03-2010, 07:41 AM
The JDM V6's have ~64mm throttles and most VR-4's have 60mm. Some later VR-4's have 64mm throttles.

The Vee
07-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Now that's useful info Brad. It does explain some of my findings on my run yesterday.
I think the much quicker throttle response is due to the tubs spooling up much quicker at less throttle opening (pedal pressure). If the throttle is bigger then more air is getting in at relative throttle position compared to the old one therefore turbo's coming on quicker. The actual volume measurements may well be the same at a point just that you need to open the bigger throttle less to achieve the same result. Think I understand what I have written!!
Other factors Car because of this does seem more lively but that may be just the feel of the car.
Quick throttle action, and the power comes in with a bang and with front wheel drive mucho point and hope for the best /pan
Generally (with care) nicer to drive
AFRs OK
Full throttle makes less difference as power already there at lesser levels
One down side:
Covered about 400 miles yesterday with all sorts of different driving.
Returned 27.4 MPG
Now that may seem OK to most, but on the VR2 that is actually down by about 10% on what I would normally achieve in similar conditions. One reason may well be the very eager boost up untill you get used to it.
This is also with cat fitted.
So overall?
Yes I like it, plus I have cruise back
Is it worth it?
Probably but I wouldn't spend money to buy a throttle body to do it - just that I already had my old V6 one lying around

Turbo_Steve
07-03-2010, 02:47 PM
It's also possible that the TPS is reading a little differently, so more air can pass the butterfly for less opening, and the ECU doesn't enrichen quite so much: that'll make it less "boggy" on throttle changes.

Is it possible the mpg is lower cos you've been "experiementing with" (enjoying) the new responsiveness? :)

Kieran
07-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Covered about 400 miles yesterday with all sorts of different driving. Returned 27.4 MPG

That's better than I'm getting from Hermes, by a considerable margin!! :furious3:

Turbo_Steve
07-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I feel an auto / manual debate rearing it's ugly head again :(

bradc
07-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Kieran probably isn't driving at sustained high speed like Andy would have been doing yesterday driving 400 miles in a day.

psbarham
07-03-2010, 07:42 PM
That's better than I'm getting from Hermes, by a considerable margin!! :furious3:

Wheres the point and laugh smilie gone? mines doing 28 ish, including making sure a 200sx owner went home to google wtf a legnum is /haz

swinks
08-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Shall we expect V6 to pfl VR4 throttle body swap library article as "mod must be done", then?
Fantastic job Andy!

GalantOnly
08-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Andy, did you use the FL inlet albow?

The Vee
08-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Andy, did you use the FL inlet albow?

Unfortunately I don't know!! I used the one that come with the engine, but it's always been up up for debate whether it was actually a pre or post FL engine. The elbow was a very tight fit though.

The Vee
08-03-2010, 05:04 AM
It's also possible that the TPS is reading a little differently, so more air can pass the butterfly for less opening, and the ECU doesn't enrichen quite so much: that'll make it less "boggy" on throttle changes.

Is it possible the mpg is lower cos you've been "experiementing with" (enjoying) the new responsiveness? :)

TPS could be different, but that is one value often overlooked, which TBH I checked on both engines.
Certainly did play a little with the responsiveness, but not much more than my normal "moments". There was as Brad says a lot of sustained high speed and quite a bit of sustained lower speeds on ordinary A roads at night. So I think it is just a tad thirstier - not that economy has ever really bothered me on this car but I just like to keep a check on longer runs of what it's doing and if any mods affect it either way.
Hermes - you have two engines developing 2200 bhp combined - what do you expect /pan/lol

Kieran
08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Hermes - you have two engines developing 2200 bhp combined - what do you expect /pan/lol

I am thinking of getting some D823 name plates made up...:D

White Lightning
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey, sounds like you had fun here Andy. And I guess this may be the first VR-4 engined Galant with working cruise control? Either way, good effort mate, and interesting findings about the throttle body. I guess you'll be 'cruising' through Belgium at the end of the month :D