PDA

View Full Version : Temperamental Speedo

VR4Manna
06-03-2010, 01:22 AM
/help please. My speedo works as and when it wants to at the mo, so I presume the sensor is faulty and would like to change it myself..... I have never done it and don't really know where it's located on the box....

Has anybody got any tips and/or tricks on changing the speedo sensor on an auto box or would it be better to take it to a garage?

waxer
06-03-2010, 02:17 AM
My speedo is usually OK, but now and then it goes dicky and starts flicking between zero and a high reading.
It was re-calibrated from KPH to MPH by the dealer who imported the car, and I have always assumed that this was the source of the problem, but done nothing about it. It might be the sensor, but mine has a manual gearbox. I suspect it's a bad connection related to the re-calibration.

GalantOnly
06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, it's usually caused by dodgy kmh-->mph conversion. Mitsu did their job right.../yes

Nick VR4
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
sounds about right mine did the same a few years back stopped altogether so wasnt clocking up the miles either

cant be a hard job as I waited for mine to be fixed at Mitz garage

AlanDITD
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
mine was the same after i fitted a MPH/KMH convertor, has yours had this done?

VR4Manna
06-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys.

As far as I'm aware the conversion was done on an SVA when the car was first imported....

Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Mitsu as mine started off like waxer's speedo and then fairly quickly progressed to what Nick's speedo was doing - nothing....

Does anybody know where these converters are usually hidden?

GalantOnly
06-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Behind the speedo