PDA

View Full Version : Lowering rear end ....

Physician
28-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Another devastatingly complicated question from this auto-technically challenged member.

I note a number of posts state that many owners lower their suspension by about 30 mm. I don't like the way the standard VR4 tends to look - there is a large gap between tyre and bodywork, particularly at the rear.

The question is: can the existing hardware be adjusted or does one need to buy different springs or whatever?

Thanks,

Richard

Kieran
28-07-2004, 07:35 AM
The standard hardware can't be adjusted. You'll need to buy a 'Lowering Kit', which is essentially a set of shortened springs to allow a reduction in ride height.

You might wish to consider different shock absorbers as well. Whilst these don't have any effect on height, they may be better equipped to deal with lowered suspension.

EDIT: As for kits.... With the VR-4, i'm not sure. I know that HKS and Tanabe do kits. Barry had a set of Tanabes fitted to his VR-4. They made it ride like a supermarket trolley. Pete's got HKS Superform springs. Derek's got some other brand of kit.

enigma
28-07-2004, 08:15 AM
The standard hardware can't be adjusted. You'll need to buy a 'Lowering Kit', which is essentially a set of shortened springs to allow a reduction in ride height.

That is not strictly true, 20 bags of concrete will have the same effect! :D

I bought a set of coilovers brand new for £420 all in, Kieran doesn't think a lot to them though as they are a bit firm!

Spirit
28-07-2004, 09:39 AM
I was lucky in that my VR4 came with the HKS springs already fitted when I bought the car, but I am sure they retail for around the £250 mark. Funny thing was that I never knew it was lowered until CVR4 was formed and others saw pics of it (2 months after I bought it) :$

HJM
28-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I was lucky in that my VR4 came with the HKS springs already fitted when I bought the car, but I am sure they retail for around the £250 mark. Funny thing was that I never knew it was lowered until CVR4 was formed and others saw pics of it (2 months after I bought it) :$
Ditto Pete

Only found out at Santa Pod (thanks to hawk-eye Nick Mann who was straight on the case!) that mine is heavily lowered and is good for giving your internal organs a regular workout !!!!!

Heath

Kieran
28-07-2004, 12:22 PM
....I bought a set of coilovers brand new for £420 all in, Kieran doesn't think a lot to them though as they are a bit firm!

Yes... They A-R-R-R-E a B-B-B-B-I-T firm! Jaysus! :$ You can slip a disc just getting into the car!:-D

However, Dave's Legnum now has physics-defying (or Ar$e clenching) cornering prowess!

craig-1
28-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Yes... They A-R-R-R-E a B-B-B-B-I-T firm! Jaysus! :$ You can slip a disc just getting into the car!:-D

However, Dave's Legnum now has physics-defying (or Ar$e clenching) cornering prowess!

dont know if the springs are the same on the v6 2.5 but i just got a set of PI springs for £110 from a place in kilmarnock called autogear they also supplied cross drilled and grooved discs with green ebc pads for only£165 which i thought was a bit of alright (picies to follow when i get the dam camera working) :D

Big Ian
28-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi Craig
just think?...if you were a full-member you could have got them 10% cheaper :-D and deliverd to your door..an with the saving youd have made would have near coverd the membership fee .. :laugh:

Physician
28-07-2004, 10:01 PM
OK ........ thanks everyone. I don't particularly want to change the general geometry of the 'ride' albeit these cars are a bit 'wallowy' when pushing on windy roads/bends. (I appreciate that it's a bit of a contradiction saying that - change ride height etc = changed geometry :sad3: )

I assume one CAN get adjustable shocks/springs but at a cost?

Thanks again,

Rich

craig-1
31-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi Craig
just think?...if you were a full-member you could have got them 10% cheaper :-D and deliverd to your door..an with the saving youd have made would have near coverd the membership fee .. :laugh:

if its that good an offer why havent u got them on that long list of yours---thats right i need more stopping power ive got a v6 you AVENT :p

Kieran
31-07-2004, 09:47 AM
if its that good an offer why havent u got them on that long list of yours---thats right i need more stopping power ive got a v6 you AVENT :p

OK, lets try the more subtle approach....

Hem-Hem.........

:soapbox:

Membership entitles you to discounts ranging between 5-15% at an increasing list of suppliers and garages etc! You will get access to our full technical information archive, which has lots of technical articles in it. For example... Do you know how to change your Spark plugs on that V6? Including the back ones? Well neither do I, but I will shortly be finding out and posting the pictures on how to do it!

Not that you'll know, because you haven't parted with the princley sum of fifteen british pounds! :lipsrseal

Get your hand in your pocket! It'll be worth it! :-D

Big Ian
31-07-2004, 07:32 PM

you may have a "V6 smarty" but can you drive it! with the mod's that are done to mine i'd prob,blow you away? and i aint jokin read what it say's "IT AINT YOUR USUAL GLS?" and i aint affraid to use what ive got!!,ive prob got more gut's than most folk with "so called faster car's"as for stopping power only coward's use brake's :evil2: if you think you have something to prove then come on over to Dumbarton an we'll see who the smart A*r* is? :lipsrseal

if that's the type of answer you get when trying to help someone with a bit of help, then i'm finished helping!!!!!!
an like i say c'mon over to Dumbarton as right now i'm well pi$$ed off

if youd like to meet me i'll be on the door at a club called CHEER's 10:30 till 3am......

KiwiTT
01-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Ian: Craig-F1 didn't sound too bad. He's a newbie. Let him find his way. We all operate differently on some days. Most importantly he's found us. Good on him for that.

Keiran: You're Right ... He should join and get the full benefits of membership. There is a wealth of information available in the "Member Area", some of it's mine too.

All together now :bighug:

Big Ian
01-08-2004, 12:05 AM
hello
i'm ian's wife, he just phoned me and said how stupid he feel's about his last note and has asked me to put on an apology to Craig-1 from him (scottish ian)

he got some bad new's today about a family member,and he has been quiet up-set all day.i tried to stop him going to work at the club tonight but could'nt. i just hope no one pushes him .
thank's Jacque...and a sorry from Ian

KiwiTT
01-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Tell him we are thinking of him.

We are all prone to outbursts, especially when we are upset, and the "Written" word in the forum does not make it easy to see what is happening to the person writing it.

Again, Tell him to take care.

Spirit
01-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Ian, sorry to hear of your news and as Richard said we are thinking of you.

I am sure Craig will accept your apology, and I for one know that sometimes it things can get a little heated and words written which one later regrets :lipsrseal

craig-1
01-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Ian, sorry to hear of your news and as Richard said we are thinking of you.

I am sure Craig will accept your apology, and I for one know that sometimes it things can get a little heated and words written which one later regrets :lipsrseal

no need for an apology just a little miss understanding,i took ians post the wrong way and ditto.no hard feelings eh it was only meant to be a smart qwip to break the ice and as kwiTT has pointed out im only a newbie, as for the membership its already on its way to vr4.so ian when i do see you at dumfries i hope we can put this behind us and see eye 2 eye because wee do have one thing in common we both share good taste in cars :D

Big Ian
01-08-2004, 01:37 PM
THANK'S GUY'S :)
i'm not to good about dealing with bad new's :sad3:
witout to much detail,iva a cousin who i hung about with all the time,we'd do load's together.only up un-till last year we always made a point of havin a good night out every 2 week's then he fell out with his wife,would'nt talk,hid away and then started hangin with a low-life.
last i spoke to him was 6 week's ago and he did not look himself...then i got a phone call yesterday morning from my father to say he'd been found dead..
life is life an all that stuff.....but i'm gob-smacked and angry at the same time

i'm sorry again for putting all that crap stuff on the post's and i apologize :sad3:
IAN...

Big Ian
01-08-2004, 01:46 PM
.so ian when i do see you at dumfries i hope we can put this behind us and see eye 2 eye because wee do have one thing in common we both share good taste in cars :D

thank's craig once again mate i'm sorry :sad3:
an yeah i can't wait for the meet it'll be good to meet you guy's :-D an hav a good ole chin wag...and a break from the norm!......ROLL ON THE 21st