PDA

View Full Version : Custom Side Wall Sub Boxes

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 05:45 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well guys i am getting 5 Sub Boxes Fabricated as we speak,1 is MINE!!!
and the rest are up for Grabs...

Pics are of my own Vehicle and a mates with twin setup(his preference,not mine)

this is just to show them off and see whos interestd,next step ill then list it in the Shop Section and setup a Listing to confirm orders should anyone want 1 or 2 ..

they can come plain uncarpeted and you can do it yourself or itll come totally complete with or without sub aswell if you want.

this box is designed by MYSELF(originally) and is farmed out for fabrication(current firm was charging WAY to much),so Price will be available afte ri do the math but just to give you an idea the prototype cost me $450 to build,im hoping to Nearly Half this!!

box will house any depth 12" Subwoofer
and it is designed to house the JBL GT Series mono amp but i know people and preferences change so im leaving it upto you...

the box WILL be a straight fit in and then screws to the body using most of the existing screw points available,all you will need to do is cut out the carpet area where it goes and your away with the fairies...

PM or emial welcome
qcustoms@xtra.co.nz
+64277210104

confusis
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
What are the dimensions of the amp part?

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
to fit the gt series 600w mono amp.. google it and youll get what you need

confusis
06-03-2010, 08:45 PM
so 30.5cmx23.5cmx6cm .

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
sounds about rite its actually 65mm if i remember correctly

VR4WGN
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
thats with the gay covrs on tho..

Kitten
08-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I was wanting something similar to this...but Paul advised against it because he said it won't sound that good.

Hence why I got what I got now :)

Still would've preferred this set up haha.

VR4Kaos
08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
this should sound good if ....
the speaker is the correct one for the size of box
it is fastend in properly so no rattles or vibration
personly would have a slight tilt so the speaker is faceing up to give it more of a comfort sound rather than a boomin bass sound personal choice that tho ...

VR4WGN
08-03-2010, 07:17 PM
make 1 thne ,thats all i can say!! make 1 in that amount of room and TILT it!!!!
ofcours ei designed the box to have the correct volume!
and it is fastened securely as mentioned in the thread!
and it does sound good,a few members have heard it already!!

Roberto
08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Nice work Q, similar to my set-up, but much more professionally made.

It's on my list to re-do it again, I managed to fit a 12inch Sony sub in the same space in a sealed box (again to manufactures spec).

And again a flat front mount is the only way I could get it to fit.

Kitten
08-03-2010, 10:18 PM
He said something along the lines of the subs would be competing with each other.

I dunno, can't remember exactly, but it's his industry. He wants to make my car a sound off car to help advertise, it looks really good how it is, I'll leave him to it :)

Roberto
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
He said something along the lines of the subs would be competing with each other.

I dunno, can't remember exactly, but it's his industry. He wants to make my car a sound off car to help advertise, it looks really good how it is, I'll leave him to it :)

So it's the subs facing each other that Paul says is an issue. Which is true at some frequencies, they can cancel each other out, so if it's a Sound Off Install it's very important.

But as a single sub install these boxes would be perfect.

Kitten
08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, that was it, I wanted to have two 12", and I thought it would have more space that way hehe. I don't know much about these things, I trust his judgement :)

VR4Kaos
08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
i would of thought that a slight tilt would be obtainable :sigh:
but still yet to build,buy and install all my ice :deal2:
im not thinking about sound off's or anything just pure quality sound :sleeping:

VR4WGN
08-03-2010, 11:46 PM
thanx guys,and as mentioned elsewhere just switch the phase and youl be ok.
so yea it was my original decision to make it tilted,can show you original drawings of this,but it cut out neary 1/4 of the volume so that idea got scrapped!!

confusis
09-03-2010, 02:19 AM
if you reversed the polarity of one of the subs wouldn't it balance out instead of cancelling?

VR4WGN
09-03-2010, 02:40 AM
phase!!!

PRLWHT
09-03-2010, 02:42 AM
yea, i think mines running mono, theres no sound cancel. as a musician, im quite picky on sound quality and have no complaints with the system. Ive recently had one taken out so Q can do some work and found the sound with only one a little unbalanced with the directional nature of the single sub, but i think that might be just because im used to the twin set up. Like he said, theres no rattle and sounds great at all frequencies, highly recommend the set up, one sub or two. worth the money!

VR4Kaos
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
givig the fact of losing 1/4 of the volume i would go for the straight option aswell never relised it would be so costly (in volume) with a slight tilt im glad its being mentioned and coverd tho saved me 4 peices of mdf a few hours labour and a whole lot of dissapointment ;)

VR4WGN
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
givig the fact of losing 1/4 of the volume i would go for the straight option aswell never relised it would be so costly (in volume) with a slight tilt im glad its being mentioned and coverd tho saved me 4 peices of mdf a few hours labour and a whole lot of dissapointment ;)

lol im not often right but im never wrong!!!:iagree:
but also im too young to know anythin tho!!!/googleit
hmmmm:lipsrseal

i can send you my blue prints if you want to see for yourslef lol.. its tragic..
the only ay to minimise the loss on the tilt option is to do a full custom fascia that rescesses the sub into the box slightly with the angle wanted then its a matter of forming or rolling some wood to create the rescessed cylinder to enclose the side of the sub if your with me??:runkest:
that way the box stays straight but the sub is angled

VR4Kaos
09-03-2010, 01:38 PM
yeah im with ya werth considering aswell

VR4WGN
09-03-2010, 07:16 PM
definatly would look cool thoo,but hard to make.. maby i will 1 day lol..,maby for a reversed sub install...

VR4Kaos
09-03-2010, 07:34 PM
yeah it would on both counts i will post my progress when i get round to doing mine but defo going for the side install need put a grill on it too to protect it from my dogs ..

VR4WGN
09-03-2010, 07:55 PM
crank the bass up lol thatll detterr them lol

CANDEE
10-03-2010, 10:06 AM
yeah it would on both counts i will post my progress when i get round to doing mine but defo going for the side install need put a grill on it too to protect it from my dogs ..
Remember to include the movement of the cone/surround in your measurements for how much you resess the sub when running a grill... For example my new sub has 25mm of Xmax.... :afro:

VR4WGN
10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Remember to include the movement of the cone/surround in your measurements for how much you resess the sub when running a grill... For example my new sub has 25mm of Xmax.... :afro:

meh!
let it hang out lol.....:runkest:

or just dont have aminals in your VR4.... shes an animal on her own karl lol

Joikale
25-06-2010, 01:58 PM
How much is the volume (approx) in this sub box? I'm making one myself... /help

VR4WGN
03-07-2010, 09:16 PM
How much is the volume (approx) in this sub box? I'm making one myself... /help

bout 26.5