PDA

View Full Version : Street, Track or Strip

chris g
28-07-2004, 06:33 PM
We have had a number of meetings throughout the country and cruising - as on Snake Pass

We have had a few track outings but these are linked to events such as JapFest and upcoming Trax

But we seem to congregate more at Santa Pod - biggest gathering to date? and we seem to expect as many/more people to attend again at Santa Pod. Also for owners to RWYB and on this site we seem to make a great deal of 0-60 times and speed over the 1/4.

For owners with a great handling car with 4WD this surprises me. I expected owners to want to try the cars handling and to push this at higher speed than on the road - so track days should have been the natural home of the VR-4 and its owners

But we seem somewhat resistant to get out there on a track

I know a number of people have tried it and some are trying it more regularly - Simon partic and Pete is getting into track days but the growing obsession seems to be matching the Lancer Register in seeking power and putting NOS into cars and focussing on this - 0-60, bhp, torque rather than the fantastic day they could have/had exploring handling and speed round a twisty track

Of cours everyone to their own but its so surprising how owners and this site are moving

Perhaps tracks are frightening - they can be / fears about damage - always possible / looking slow - who cares if you're having fun / expense - it is more than RWYB

But you do not need to tune or do anything, not a thing, to have fun at a track

If you WANT to push speed more then discs/pads as Pete did helps with stopping power

But to have fun with the VR-4 you can just go on track and the car has more power than you can ever handle so the best and cheapest fun and overall best for car and for you is look to try trackdays

You do not need to go abroad and get addicted to Ring as I did, we could link to a trackday organiser for a VR-4 day - say Donnington National Circuit and if we think wecannot get enough cars,open it up by invitation to other clubs of our choosing or individual owners know to us

MR2 owners are doing this so why not us - theyu must have as many trackday virgins/inexperienced owners as we do

Of course many of us could not afford this as a regular event and other things would continue unchanged but the VR-4 is a car for twisty roads and 2 or 3 events a year could be a great attraction for our members/Galant owners

Use different tracks around the country:
Donnington/Castle Combe/Anglesey as examples to catch our owners nationwide and lets enjoy the VR-4 more for what it is - a great handling car!

Chris

Japmetal
28-07-2004, 07:09 PM
I hear where you're coming from - we dont even need to hire a track to get a good thrashing session together; If tehre was enough interest, I'd happily lead a party through the Wilds of Wales past Bala and Trawsfynydd for a day-trip on some interesing Welsh tarmac :-D

I realise that would be a long way for alot of folk, but would be well worth it I promise ;)

Beyond that, a few track days at Donnington Park would work well for me too, since my other half lives close enough to hear us going round from her bedroom window :-b

chris g
28-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I would like to be shown some good roads in Wales, if a day is planned I will try to be there but for safer fun a trackday is better

Fewer dry stone walls, sheep and tractors around

enigma
28-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Track days are not measurable! Sure they are a lot of fun, but there is a much greater risk of damaging your car. The car is probably better than most of us and this is what makes it more daunting.

I really enjoyed myself at Castle Coombe, my car did not! It was 3 laps before I had no brakes and a further 2 before my gearbox overheated.

chris g
28-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I do not measure my pleasure by fractions of seconds of ET or whole numbers of bhp/torque

Its more about the unquantifiable pleasure of driving the car othrough combinations of twist bends

I have done CC a number of times and never run out of brakes and never overheated the gearbox AND still had some fun

I would have though launching off the line at RWYB as quite hard on car transmission

If brakes are fading due to pushing on then more improvements to brakes and/or take greater care of brakes - similar attitude with gearbox - perhaps AT oil cooler and/or more care of gearbox

Go slower to preserve car AND still have fun

If thats not possible then I guess you upgrade various parts of car but if things have to be measured then you do strip rather than track

As I said everyone to their own but my point, my opinion is still valid I think, and my surprise is still genuine that for a great handling car, that many owners want to go in a straight line for their pleasure

Thats what the thread was about, my surprise about this and why I think the way I do

I can hear the call of the Nurburgring at this very moment

Each of us will just get on with our own pleasures

enigma
28-07-2004, 10:38 PM
I have done CC a number of times and never run out of brakes and never overheated the gearbox AND still had some fun

You obviously were not pushing it hard enough! ;) :D

I would have though launching off the line at RWYB as quite hard on car transmission

The trans can cope with it, in fact there is a very similar test detailed in the service manual to check the torque converter!

Go slower to preserve car AND still have fun

Where is the fun in going slower???? :laugh:

I take your point that the VR4 is a fantastic track car, but it is just a bit too much for some people. There is a huge buzz going in a straight line and dare I say it - after 10 mins at Catsle Coombe I was starting to get bored! Didn't mean I didn't want another go, but I think people will understand what I mean!

As I said something that is measurable gives rise to competition which furthers everyones understanding and appreciation of these cars. If I wanted to tear up the track I would buy something smaller as the weight doesn't lend itself to being really chucked about!

Each to their own, but mine is in a straight line! :rolleyes5

Spirit
28-07-2004, 10:41 PM
As we have already seen people have their own opinions and views, and thats what makes us all different - and humans ;)

As Chris said, I have done a couple of track days and a couple of Santa Pod days now and I can say both are exhilarating in their own ways.

Dave makes a valid point about the measurabilty of a 1/4 mile run, and when investing heavily in power modifications this is surely the best method. But, I found the real way to experience the VR4 is on track, this is where you find the limits of the car and just how brilliant it really is - but as pointed out the wear and tear on the brakes/tyres/gearbox etc and the risk of an accident is sure to put some people off.

I have another track day (and Simon) at Coombe on the 9th August and this one is a full day event - as many times as you want. Today I have swapped my tyres over to my spare set as the F1's are shagged and I am not prepared to shod her with new ones only to wreck them at Coombe. I must admit the hazards of a full day event are already in the back of my mind, and part of me is determined to take it easy on the day to protect the car but then again I want to prove to other owners attending just what the VR4 can do on track - tough call :-D

Chris, if I could afford it I would be coming with you to Germany for sure - the lure is ever increasing and I am sure I will get there soon - maybe next year for sure just need to put aside some cash for it ;)

To summarise - both arguments are valid, the answer.......get in your VR4 and try them both......they are both a real buzz and what's the point of owning such a beast if you arn't going to put it to the test - and if you are really worried about having an accident then invest in some trackday insurance ;)

Simon
28-07-2004, 11:03 PM
I do prefer track days as its "not a straight line" and ive been doing it for years BUT..................................

I have got the Santa Pod "Bug". I personally think that the VR4 was made to go around corners but it is difficult to compare cars in this manner. I thought the "Pod" would be boring and basic...how difficult is it to drive in a straight line?!?!.............BUT .........its addictive. :rolleyes5

The choice between Track and Strip will fall in and out of fashion. The best i can compare it to is "the need for speed underground"....do you play racing, or drag or...............who is going to be the first for drifting!!!!!!! may have to remove the front drive shafts.................although i did try spinning and do-nuts! at the weekend at C..Combe,........on the grass....must try harder. I also got told off!!!! :rolleyes:

My suggestion.......... :lipsrseal .......the VR4 should be allowed to try all of these events and owners will find what they are most happy with.

PS i would love to have gone to the "Ring", but money is a problem........If a trip was set well in advance im sure you (Chris) would get a lot of support..........

PPS cant wait for combe............i want to put the Skylines in their place! ;) GTS's easily :-b ......GTR's not so sure :dozey:

chris g
28-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Go slower to go faster to have more fun?
- go slower, faster thru the corners, enjoy the handling
- dont wear out the brakes or gearbox

I got bored at CC also

VR-4 is a heavy car - too heavy for some for trackdays

But as a sprint vehicle for the strip even worse

At least on track we get the bulk moving which is important - it will never accelerate like a lighter and/or manual car but get it going, brake less into corners, carry corner speed and see how much fun that can be

For the strip surely a much lighter car and whatever the owners manual says I do not want to put it thru standing starts to get a good ET - I want my fun round the twisty bits never by RWYB

its still a mystery to focus on that rather than enjoying its handling

chris g
28-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Yes Simon between us we will be trying all of these things

But as for the fun in doing some of them.......as Toyah said...'it's a mystery'

SGHOM
29-07-2004, 12:06 AM
.......as Toyah said...'it's a mystery'
or should that be Itth a mwistewee !! :lipsrseal :laugh: :laugh:

Spirit
29-07-2004, 12:18 AM
or should that be Itth a mwistewee !! :lipsrseal :laugh: :laugh:

:lolz: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

chris g
29-07-2004, 07:31 AM
You shouldn't make fun of the afflicted!

That's part of my job- care and understanding - unless you happen to drive a blue scooby with gold wheels....no, make that any scooby with gold wheels!

pjjohnson
29-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Since I've been on trackdays the idea of driving the car anywhere near its cornering limits on public roads seems mad.

For me the thing about track days is that it makes me realise what a crap driver I am, and how good the car is. The most fun I've had on track days has been with other people - really good drivers - driving the car. I can never forget beeming out of the passenger window at Donnington as we went by everything we saw, including Porsches, EVO's, Elises, Skylines and Scoobys with gold wheels.

I have spent some dosh on more power and measuring the improvement is interesting, and the quarter mile is a good way to do that. Its only one part of the cars performance, but a very important part.

Either way the straight line perfomance and the handling are far better than most people realise, and thats where the real fun is for me.

chris g
29-07-2004, 01:30 PM
So carry on measuring for those who want to do that but, hey give the car a break, give in to its real nature and set it free on some real twisty bits on a track

And pj, I think you should give in to YOUR nature and pay a visit to the Nurburgring

Like Simon and Pete and me, that's the place for us - enjoying what the car already has, power AND great handling - to explore on a 13 mile track - 12 minutes or so for one lap!

pjjohnson
29-07-2004, 04:59 PM
One day maybe, I'm sure I'd really enjoy it, 8if I live to tell the tale. My nature is to push things till they break (eg turbos went pop at Cadwell). I'm just a poor driver, but also competitive with no symapathy for the car. Not a good combination.

Japmetal
31-07-2004, 10:47 AM
The best i can compare it to is "the need for speed underground"....do you play racing, or drag or...............who is going to be the first for drifting!!!!!!!

Remove driveshafts ? never ! just fit a rear LSD and tweak the front/rear balance back a bit [Haven't been thinking about this at all, honest !! ;) ]