PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light Ignition Problems

legnum STR
06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi there bought a 96 Legnum ST r yesterday, got it checked out by a mechanic who serviced the car for the previous owners and all he did is replace a gasket seal and said shes a good car.

Once I got it home Ive had an issue getting it started - When I turn the ignition key on to start the car nothing happens but the abs light comes on. After mucking around for a while turning the key on and off it eventually starts and everything seems to be otherwise sweet and I love the car.

Anyone come across this problem before, what was the exact issue and was it expensive to fix? Cheers in advance.

Subaru ETA
07-03-2010, 01:07 AM
is it only the ABS light coming on? check the basics like battery terminals etc first

confusis
07-03-2010, 01:19 AM
how many kms on it? keep your eye on the auto (if it is one) as they do fail!

legnum STR
07-03-2010, 04:35 AM
cheers for the replies, the other lights all turn off but the abs light comes on by itself I think. im a mechanical moron and Im starting to think I bought a lemon but it would seem strange that the mechanic who services the car wouldnt be straight up with me when i got him to look over it . Driving today the car started shuddering badly for a few seconds then came right- Im pretty sure it wasnt road corrugations or anything so it may well be the auto (shes done 154K)--ill get it into the garage asap, what a bugger.

any idea of ballpark figure for a replacement auto tranmission + labour so I dont get taken for a ride?

confusis
07-03-2010, 04:38 AM
phewwwwwwwwww the shudder and kms lead me to believe you're due for a torque convertor failure. does it shudder at part throttle, part load?

costs so far - proper sp3, 120ish? gearbox and tc $900, and 10 months of waiting for people to help me finish the job. labour i don't know, i wish i had done it thru a mechanic, i'd have a car right now.

legnum STR
07-03-2010, 04:47 AM
not sure about throttle re shuddering as I wasnt driving ( get my licence back next week) and was in passenger seat. Either way Im going to be really pissed at mechanic if I need a new auto, what a dickhead. Might be worth a complaint to the MTA, though robably just more hassle.

Is it the sort of thing that can happen suddenly or is it a gradual thing that gets worse over time? Ive only done 20kms since getting the car, surely the previous owners must have known something was up?

Subaru ETA
07-03-2010, 05:05 AM
whats the fluid like. the trans issue wouldnt be related to your starting issue. if you start it in neutral does it start straight away?

Subaru ETA
07-03-2010, 05:25 AM
phewwwwwwwwww the shudder and kms lead me to believe you're due for a torque convertor failure. does it shudder at part throttle, part load?

costs so far - proper sp3, 120ish? gearbox and tc $900, and 10 months of waiting for people to help me finish the job. labour i don't know, i wish i had done it thru a mechanic, i'd have a car right now.

way to show gratatude to brad who has gone out of his way, driven for miles to come help you because you didnt have money to pay a workshop. if i recall we said it would be better to bring it to auckland - if you did you would of had 4 of us on it and it would of been done in a weekend. but no - you expect people to spend there weekends to drive the 170km down to you to work on your car and now you complain..... :microwave

legnum STR
07-03-2010, 05:55 AM
thanks will check fliuds, guess its all a bit of a guessing game until I get someone to look at it and Im likely to just wind myself up even more when it may just be some reatively minor electical/sensor fault.

confusis
07-03-2010, 06:23 AM
way to show gratatude to brad who has gone out of his way, driven for miles to come help you because you didnt have money to pay a workshop. if i recall we said it would be better to bring it to auckland - if you did you would of had 4 of us on it and it would of been done in a weekend. but no - you expect people to spend there weekends to drive the 170km down to you to work on your car and now you complain..... :microwave

I don't expect them to help, i just ask and hope people are nice enough to help, as brad has been.

I was referring to the my useless father who sold the car to me and the local morons. Sorry should have been more clear.