PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Few questions!

Ahmed
07-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying a galant 2.5 v6 non-turbo as it seems like the ideal car for me .... (4wd/cheap insurance etc)

Was just wondering what they are like? It is very important for me that I get the non-turbo as insurance is too much on the vr4. However; I was wondering:

- Since the engine codes are the same (6A13) is it just a case of swapping over parts from the vr4 like turbos etc to increase power? (in the future if i need more power once insurance dies down...)
- Also - what kind of tuning can be done to the NA 6A13 engine?

Atik
07-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi and welcome.

Firstly, its not as simple as that. There are no UK specification Galants with 4WD. The VR4's are all 4WD and there are the STR (I think), but they are both Japanese market vehicles, and would only have been brought over to the UK via import processes.

You would be looking for a long time to get hold of a non-turbo Legnum in the UK as they are very rare.

As for the 'normal' UK 6A13, yes the engine code is similar and whatnot, but there is more to it than just bolting the turbos on. There is a heck of a lot of VR4 specific jiggery-pokery and magic that the non-VR4s do not have, so it requires a complete VR4 engine to be put into a Galant body. It has been done though - Andy (The Vee) drives a UK Galant with an implanted VR4 engine which is affectionately and unofficially referred to as a VR2. It is FWD though and having seens its capabilities firsthand around the 'Ring, I can say it is a BEAST! Wheelspin in third gear while travelling at about 60mph-ish!

Your best option would be to get hold of regular V6-24. They are very very good cars. All the looks, half the cost and two thirds of the power. The club is very useful for help, maintenance and parts. The people aint too bad either.