PDA

View Full Version : Incontinent engine...

GalantOnly
16-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Bought recently 1996 VR4, took the engine out yesterday and found "some" oil leaks behind cambelt cover... just about everywhere...:anxious:

There's oil traces on:

1. Rear cam cover gasket
2. Between oil pump and sump
3. Behind the water pump
4. Oil pressure switch

+ coolant is coming out of the hole in water pump.../woot2

And there are small pieces of something spread all over (looks like cambelt?)

:mexicanwav :mexicanwav :mexicanwav

The question: can I be so lucky that all those gaskets started to leak exactly at the same time, or can all this oil come from only one location and just be distributed futher by rotating cambelt? Anyone have expierenced something like that?

Turbo_Steve
16-03-2010, 11:40 PM
I'd say you've just got one oil leak under pressure, and the cambelt is flinging it about all over the place. As the oil and the rubber of the cambelt don't agree much, the oil has degraded it and the mechanism is chewing the cambelt to pieces very slowly.

GalantOnly
17-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I'd say you've just got one oil leak under pressure, and the cambelt is flinging it about all over the place. As the oil and the rubber of the cambelt don't agree much, the oil has degraded it and the mechanism is chewing the cambelt to pieces very slowly.

Yeah... You might be right on that, Steve... That's what I thought too.../yes Cambelt is actually very oily

How can I give the rep point if I'm not a member atm? :)