PDA

View Full Version : Do most of you bother?

jiggy007
16-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Just something ive been thinking, do most of you bother with a BOV ?:shocked:

peter thomson
16-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes I have one fitted

Wodjno
16-03-2010, 12:28 PM
We've all got a BOV from standard /yes

Some change to a VTA.. Some to an uprated Recirc. And others to a Hybrid Recirc/Atmos..

If your upping the power then an uprated recirc i think is a must as the tired spring in the standard BOV suffers /yes

And for the 1's who go Atmos or Hybrid ?!? Then thats outta just i think rather than any performance increase..

Cheers

Wodj :D

jiggy007
16-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Can you please recommenced any BOV in particular that i can use for my vr4?

Medium price range..

PS can you link us anything on ebay so i have some idea...
Cheers...

peter thomson
16-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Some on OZVR4 believe that we don't need one and run without it. I don't and I thought that this thread may be heading that way from the first question

jiggy007
16-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Some on OZVR4 believe that we don't need one and run without it. I don't and I thought that this thread may be heading that way from the first question
ok roger that ! :uhoh:

elnevio
16-03-2010, 01:07 PM
No BOV at all? Get some nice-sounding turbo stalling going on? Followed not long later by turbo death?

Or have I misunderstood that?

Wodjno
16-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Run without a BoV is putting excess pressure on the impeller of the Tub on lift off and Manual Gearchange..

Suppose it's not much of an issue on an Auto/Tip car for acceleration.. But for a Manual Box it's a different ball game..

The Tubs will prematurely fail without a BOV on a Manual car..

But if u like the sound of the Flutter the Tubs will make without 1, over the sound of the opening of your wallet for new tubs /Hmmm

Run with No Bov /megawoot

Ghost_2008
16-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Most BOV's are universal, the fitment is the important thing........ I am running a HKS SSQV bov, which vents to air, I have no problems what so ever, it took all of ten minutes to fit. In addition to a bov you will need a blanking plug for the pipe that becomes redundent when running a vent to air bov.

However have a search and you should find the information you need, but HKS SSQV, Sard R2D2 or a Forged Evo recirc bov seem to be the weapons of choice....

crazyken76
16-03-2010, 01:59 PM
ive just put a sard r2d2 on and sounds mint can get them on ebay for about £110.00 :)

peter thomson
16-03-2010, 02:04 PM
ok roger that ! :uhoh:

Glad to hear that is not the route you are taking

chris g
16-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I am sure the car has one, somewhere...

It does something, recirculating I think but I know there are doubts about benefits of changing to VTA

When thinking of more upgrades, I read posts about BOV deteriorating, saw GFB advertised and in a moment of madness bought item - never fitted it though and may sell on here as future car ownership uncertain...

Recent thread descibed same item...

This BOV stuff, it's a mystery but then it is techno jiggery pokery...

Wodjno
16-03-2010, 03:09 PM

It does something, recirculating I think but I know there are doubts about benefits of changing to VTA

When thinking of more upgrades, I read posts about BOV deteriorating, saw GFB advertised and in a moment of madness bought item - never fitted it though and may sell on here as future car ownership uncertain...

If it's GFB Stealth FX ? Then its a VTA and Recirc in 1.

chris g
16-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes I think it might be that one - been in storage since purchase and left Cranwell last year...

Will have to find it and sort pictures if going to start FS thread...

waxer
16-03-2010, 10:41 PM

It's not that technical. There's an interesting article on Wiki;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve
Here they use BOV to mean what Wodj refers to as a VTA, and Bypass Valve to refer to what the car has as standard. Maybe that's where some of the confusion arises?

Turbo_Steve
16-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Chris - are you serious? It's really very simple: Dumpvalve released pressure between the closed throttle butterfly and turbo compressors. A recirc (as per factory) returns it to the inlet pipework.

A VTA (or BOV as they sometimes called) vents the pressure to the air.

And that's all you really need to know about the device itself.

If they leak due to the spring rate being too weak, then they will cause all manner of issues with idle and loss of power.

As the VTA does not return air to the turbo inlets, the ECU sees more air enter the system through the MAF, and uneccesarily adds extra fuel, which can make the throttle feel a bit boggy and compromise your MPG.

chris g
17-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Well Steve, I may exaggerate my technical naievety but being able to say/point to where this stuff is and to check/repair/replace it is definitely one step beyond...

I guess that means beyond what interests me, never done service work on bikes or cars apart from oil change on some bikes and checking plugs...

Checking plugs on R60/R75/R90 BMW is really easy...

jiggy007
17-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Most BOV's are universal, the fitment is the important thing........ I am running a HKS SSQV bov, which vents to air, I have no problems what so ever, it took all of ten minutes to fit. In addition to a bov you will need a blanking plug for the pipe that becomes redundent when running a vent to air bov.

However have a search and you should find the information you need, but HKS SSQV, Sard R2D2 or a Forged Evo recirc bov seem to be the weapons of choice....

Does that BOV (HKS SSQV) make a massive "whooosh" sound?

Because im keen one that doesnt draw to much attention...

Does "whooosh" depend on certain adjustments made to the BOV or BOV brand itself?

wintertidenz
17-03-2010, 10:20 AM
If you are looking for a BOV that doesn't attract too much attention, go recirc.

However, if you still want a VTA one, the Blitz ones are fairly quiet. Not sure about the Sard ones, and the HKS one can be noisy however, more like a whistle than anything else.

jiggy007
17-03-2010, 10:39 AM
If you are looking for a BOV that doesn't attract too much attention, go recirc.

However, if you still want a VTA one, the Blitz ones are fairly quiet. Not sure about the Sard ones, and the HKS one can be noisy however, more like a whistle than anything else.

A sharp short whistle i can deal with .....its the big "whoosh" i dont want...

Ghost_2008
17-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Does that BOV (HKS SSQV) make a massive "whooosh" sound?

Because im keen one that doesnt draw to much attention...

Does "whooosh" depend on certain adjustments made to the BOV or BOV brand itself?

The HKS SSQV is quite loud, the sound itself has two tones, difficult to describe in writing but "Ptt Shoooo", it's a dual piston devise hence the two tone. The sound also varies depending on amount of pressure it's releasing.

If you are looking for something quiet a Forged Evo Recirculating blow off valve would be your best bet...... it looks identical to the plastic devise you already have it's just made of metal and is able to handle more pressure so you can raise the boost that little bit more. Also it's a straight swap, however if your not experiencing any issues with the stock valve and you want to keep the noise down I wouldnt bother changing it......

jiggy007
17-03-2010, 11:07 AM
The HKS SSQV is quite loud, the sound itself has two tones, difficult to describe in writing but "Ptt Shoooo", it's a dual piston devise hence the two tone. The sound also varies depending on amount of pressure it's releasing.

If you are looking for something quiet a Forged Evo Recirculating blow off valve would be your best bet...... it looks identical to the plastic devise you already have it's just made of metal and is able to handle more pressure so you can raise the boost that little bit more. Also it's a straight swap, however if your not experiencing any issues with the stock valve and you want to keep the noise down I wouldnt bother changing it......

Dont get wrong i do want some noise, but id like to avoid the"whoooosh" and the "Ptt shooo"..
On the odd occasion ive heard a car go by when there BOV has only made short "whistle" noise, only enough to just turn your head, not give every pedestrian a heart attack when you go past..

Can help you me out with the BOV brand?

Atik
17-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Get a GFB Stealth FX. That it totally adjustable so you can be silent or as loud as you want. Its as simple as twisting the BOV a few clicks on the mechanism.

I have mine set to around 20% VTA, and under light acceleration when the BOV releases there is a very subtle whoosh. On hard acceleration, its a sharp PTSHH. I think thats the sweet spot for me.

Thing is they are quite expensive, but they are very well made, look really good, and work really well.

It might be worth asking Chris how much he wants for his 'spare' one that he has ;) I paid around £250 for mine, and if you keep a look out on eBay you can find them significantly cheaper than that.

Turbo_Steve
17-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd have to say that I wouldn't bother. I've removed mine and gone back to recirc, and so far I haven't missed it much.

And, of course, there is the other option, which is to fit a piece of shaped metal into the return pipe from the recirc. That makes a really cooooool noise then, as it comes back up the inlet pipe. It's quiet, but sounds like your turbos are angry!

It sort of goes "CRRRRR!" rather than "TSH!".

And if you want ultimate coolness, and are spending £250+, then make up some modified pipework and run TWIN dumpvalves :D :D :D :D