PDA

View Full Version : Water from Exhaust

frankoni
16-03-2010, 03:59 PM
My car has been sitting outside my house for a couple of weeks now because the p/s cooler pipe is leeking. Ive been starting it up every other day to keep the battery topped up. Today i noticed that there was a large amount of steam / water coming from the tail pipe, when i revved it it got a lot worse.
Ive checked the rad coolant which was on the maximum, i also checked inside the oil cap and found there was slight cream which im not that worried about. Also dipped the oil and all seemed ok.

I was thinking it could be the head gasket on the way out!!
Are these cars prone to moisture build up in the exhaust when not driven for a while

Cheers
Frank

elnevio
16-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Yep! /yes

All sounds normal to me, given the use described.

Wodjno
16-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Because of the length of the vehicle, moisture does build up in the Zorst. Especially with the colder weather. After 5 mins or so it should clear..

frankoni
16-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I did start the car up for about 15 mins and it was still coming out, I suppose it could really do with a good drive. I was really worried that the head gasget was on the way out. At the moment it seems to be one thing after another, i cant wait to get it back on the road. Mind you having said that ive borrowed my dads Prodrive Subaru the Bugeyed one, now thats quick!!!

Cheers for the replys
Frank

Ghost_2008
16-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I was under the impression that water in the exhaust is a sign that the engine is running very well. Rolls Royce's used to produce a lot of water. During the combustion cycle the oxygen and hydrogen combine producing water vapour.

Would a head gasket failure cause this type of issue, I thought that would cause the water and oil to mix causing the oil to degrade and turn creamy in appearence...................

Obviousely if the car has been sitting and the exhaust is cold it will collect water from the ambient air in the early hours of the morning.

Wodjno
16-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I did start the car up for about 15 mins and it was still coming out, I suppose it could really do with a good drive. I was really worried that the head gasget was on the way out. At the moment it seems to be one thing after another, i cant wait to get it back on the road. Mind you having said that ive borrowed my dads Prodrive Subaru the Bugeyed one, now thats quick!!!

Cheers for the replys
Frank

My 5 mins time was for 5 mins driving spirited.. Sitting idling will take a lot longer as theres no pressure forcing the water out as well as a lot less heat.. /yes

Turbo_Steve
16-03-2010, 07:00 PM
When the headgasket goes, just about anything is possible: There are no hard and fast rules about what will end up where: it depends whereabouts in the gasket the failure has occured. A breach between oil and water will drive one into the other, but only at specific pressure differentials.

A breach from the water jacket into the combustion chambers can pressurise the cooling system on combustion, and suck water out of it on the exhaust cycle.

In this instance, I suspect, however, that your exhaust is full of condensation and (usually with a cold VR4) a fricken stupid amount of fuel.