PDA

View Full Version : exhaust noice ... not nice ... advice

Bal
30-07-2004, 06:21 PM
got the car back today and basically when i accelerate the exhaust makes a loud rattly noise. when coasting along it is fine just when accelerating. they are gonna fit a new exhaust on monday to see if exhaust is mash up as it isnt a mitsubishi one but a oem one.

dude reckons once iv done 200 miles on it and laid some carbon down it should be better but i wanna know wot you guys think.

cheers
B

Kieran
30-07-2004, 08:21 PM
got the car back today and basically when i accelerate the exhaust makes a loud rattly noise. when coasting along it is fine just when accelerating. they are gonna fit a new exhaust on monday to see if exhaust is mash up as it isnt a mitsubishi one but a oem one.

dude reckons once iv done 200 miles on it and laid some carbon down it should be better but i wanna know wot you guys think.

cheers
B

Hmmm... Is the sound a 'RATTLE-RATTLE-RATTLE-CLANK-RATTLE' as you accelerate, or is it maybe a steady "BUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" ?

If it's the latter, then I had the same problem on my old Accord Coupe. The flexi-pipe had a spring loaded knuckle joint on the end of it and this had siezed up. I don't think the GLS has such a joint, but it's worth looking before jumping to the conclusion of the more common exhaust issue of a loose baffler plate in one of the expansion boxes.

Big Ian
30-07-2004, 09:49 PM
i'm right in saying,you only had the front pipe replaced?
would you say you are loseing any power sin's getting your car back? more so under pressure (up hill's feeling slower?)

firefly
31-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Last time I had a rattly noise like that was because some spanner monkey put the exhaust back together but resting against the rear axle!! :p

So hense it was fine at coasting but rattled like hell when accelerating :laugh:

I'm sure its not that but you never know!

Bal
31-07-2004, 11:58 AM
no loss in power it is a consistent buzz and the car is great ... i believe the noise was there before but a shed load quieter. im gonna drive the car to birmingham and back today so should get some mileage on it and lay some carbon down might settle it a bit.