PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension knock - some advice please

White Lightning
17-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Now some of you will say that I am not happy unless I have got a specific noise on my car to listen to and worry about ... and you would probably be right :p

But ...

I have over the last month become increasingly worried about a knocking noise that I am getting from my front passenger side suspension area. The noise only occurs when that wheel goes over a fair bump in the road and is more likely to occur on right hand corners (well, that seems to be the case, but that's what I do mostly around Bracknell, with all the roundabouts!). It is what I would describe as a 'heavy' knock and I think is slowly getting worse. I am concerned that it may be one of the lower arm balljoints on it's way out.

So, at lunchtime, I took my 'mechanically minded' work colleague out for a drive so that he could have a listen from inside the front and rear of the car. He agreed the noise was from the front passenger side and that it sounded 'heavy' and probably ball joint related. We both think it's unlikely to be the track rod end as the noise sounds too 'heavy'.

The other point to note is that occasionally I get a slightly odd sensation from the steering. It's hard to describe but it's almost like the weight of the steering changes slightly mind corner or some slightly bumpy corners around Bracknell. It may be the 'speed sensitive' power steering doing it's thing and I am over sensitive to it ... but I will put it in here as it may be relevant.

I had the front coilovers and upper arms out over the weekend to do the wheel arch underseal so I know everything is OK there. Also, whilst at it, I regreased the upper arm ball joint and replaced the rubber cover, so I know that one 'should' be OK.

Now, some info ... the car has now done 73,000 miles. It has all the recall work done including the lower arm recall which was done in November 2003 according to the Jap website. I also have the '1003' G sticker in the back window which confirms this.

Ben at Eurospec checked over the suspension back in Aug/Sept when I first got the car, and the only thing that was spotted was that the rear toe control arms go do with replacing (I have new ones ready to fit). However, I have done a 'Ring trip in September and a couple of thousand miles on the road since then.

It's worth noting that the near side curved arm appears to have been replaced at some point as it appears to have a Mitsi part number label on it. Also, I think Ben spotted that one of the straight arms was not original based on the shape of the ball joint base metal - but I can't remember which one!

Given that we have the 'Ring trip in a couple of weeks I am somewhat concerned that something may get worse and worse case scenario fail. But obviously the arms are expensive so I can't really justify just replacing them all.

So, what do you think I should I do folks?

TIA

peter thomson
17-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Split the arms from the hub to check them Wayne. It is always difficult to check when they are bolted up and a lot simpler when removed to find which one is faulty

White Lightning
17-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Split the arms from the hub to check them Wayne. It is always difficult to check when they are bolted up and a lot simpler when removed to find which one is faulty

Thanks Peter. I wondered whether that might be suggested. I have never removed any of the lower arms before though. I have unbolted the other end of the straight arm (when I was changing the wheel bearing that side to allow the hub to move out further) but never removed the ball joint. How difficult is it to do? Do I need to worry about damaging the rubber? Any ideas whether my new scissor type ball joint splitter (which I used for the upper arms last weekend) will fit?

Beastlee
17-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Wayne, this sunds just like the issue I have but on the driver's side with left hand bends. I've replaced all lower arms on mine and it's still not been resolved. I'm lookig at track rods and rod-ends as a possibility.

White Lightning
17-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Wayne, this sunds just like the issue I have but on the driver's side with left hand bends. I've replaced all lower arms on mine and it's still not been resolved. I'm lookig at track rods and rod-ends as a possibility.

I guess both are definately possible Lee, looks like I have got a weekend of pulling ball joints apart and inspecting them ahead of me.

peter thomson
17-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Just unbolting them from the inner end and taking any pressure off them should allow you to check them. The splitter may get in but may catch the hub/cv

White Lightning
17-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Just unbolting them from the inner end and taking any pressure off them should allow you to check them. The splitter may get in but may catch the hub/cv

Thanks Peter. And if I do it that way, what am I checking for ... like I say, I have never had these apart before so have nothing in my head to compare against. I guess I can compare side to side ... but of course, they may both be equally worn.

peter thomson
17-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Either they will be seized or you will feel play in the joint. Very easy to feel when they have been removed or there is no pressure on the joint.

The Vee
17-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Agree on Peter's way of checking - as you know I do this before every ring trip regardless!! The lower straight arms don't normally knock in service as they have the weight of the car pulling down on them. Still worth checking though as they can seize and and make noise when they are forced to move. Do check the curved arm joints as well - they are often overlooked. Also worth a check are the ARB bushes. Notorious on earlier galant models.

White Lightning
17-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys. What's the best way to check the curved arms?

The Vee
17-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Personally on them I'd drop em from the hub and check the pin that way. You can see the other end with it's big rubber bush more or less in situ. Easy enough to drop though if you want

scott.mohekey
17-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I have the same problem, except on the drivers side. I've replaced everything except the shock and axle and it's still there.

Turbo_Steve
17-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Even the ARB, ARB bushes etc? CV joints? Bearing? EVERYTHING?

Wodjno
17-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Ignore me :D I reread it now :p

scott.mohekey
17-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Even the ARB, ARB bushes etc? CV joints? Bearing? EVERYTHING?

Ok, it was a little early in the morning. I haven't touched the ARB or the ARB bushes, but I have done the drop links. CV joints I included in the axles, so they haven't been done. Bearings have been done. Brake discs have been machined and new brake pads have been put in, but the calipers haven't been touched. SO yeah, MOST things.

Both lower arms are brand new, the lateral arms being genuine mitsi. The upper arms are new. The bearings are new. The drop links are new.

The next thing I'm going to try is to replace the shocks and springs with a pair of monroe reflexes on the front, and tunabe sustec lowering springs all around. I had them on my ST and they were very nice, better even that low end tein adjustables.

Beastlee
17-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I've not done the ARB stuff on mine yet as I'm awaiing some Selby bars :)

c0xxy
17-03-2010, 10:31 PM
mine knocks, although it sounds as if its from the center of the car and its over every tiny little bump, sounds like the lottery balls when they drop into the machine... could that be the arb bushes?
ash

Beastlee
17-03-2010, 10:34 PM
c0xxy that sounds more like the compression arms (curved arms on lower suspension). My old car did it and it turned out to be the driver's side one.

c0xxy
17-03-2010, 10:41 PM
thanks, sorry if that was hi-jacking!

Adam.Findlay
18-03-2010, 03:57 AM
hmm i think i am getting the same "deep" knock sound you are describing but on my front driver wheel. i have not had any issues with the steering and have not long ago changed my track rod ends. ill get on to checking my lower arms
dont want them failing on me!!!

Beastlee
18-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Seems to be a pattern forming here......

White Lightning
18-03-2010, 08:06 AM
There does indeed Lee, we could all have different problems though /lol

Thanks for the ideas guys, I will crack on and start checking this lot out at the weekend (well, if the weather holds out!)