PDA

View Full Version : Low idle ?

Wobble
17-03-2010, 05:14 PM
have searched but cant seem to find much.

the last few days my car has nearly stalled after a run

got in this morning started her up fine, drove 15 miles no problems at all ,
got out out to go to tescos for approx 15 mins.
got back in started her up and idle drops to the point where it is about to stall (400 rpm ish and hovers around this point
tcl and engine managment lights flicker on
500rpm and the tcl and engine managment lights go off
thinking it might be the air con as have had this with my evo i then play around with the aircon button ,as soon as it goes on the revs climb to 800rpm and all is ok
turn off air con and seems to have corrected itself.
drive home with no problems again
this has happened a couple of times now only when i have warmed the car up then stop it for 10 odd mins then drive again so only happening when car is warm.

vr4 is an auto and completly standard

sorry to dribble on a bit :zzz:

The Vee
17-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a stepper motor clean job required. Plenty of info on here how to do it.

Wobble
17-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a stepper motor clean job required. Plenty of info on here how to do it.

why thankyou , had a new search on stepper motors and it does sound like the problem , something to do at the weekend i suppose

elnevio
17-03-2010, 06:00 PM
This is a fairly common 'feature'. Cleaning the idle stepper motor out may or may not help the situation - but I wouldn't worry about it if not anyway.

Turbo_Steve
17-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I found that dremmelling a little bit off the "plug" on the end of the stepper made the difference on mine. When reassembled it initially idled very high (as I've made the gap bigger) however the ECU quickly adapted. As you've moved away from the "dead" spot on the stepper, it tends not to hit it and get stuck anymore.

crazyken76
17-03-2010, 08:25 PM
i had the same problem but it was me dump valve