PDA

View Full Version : Map differences

psbarham
18-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes i have searched, so that line of reply can be stopped.

What are the differences between the map's on the 3 respective ecu types apart from the obvious manual/auto specifics?

Nick Mann
18-03-2010, 10:46 AM
My facelift auto map has been compared with a pre-facelift auto map and no difference could be seen.

AderC compared them a couple of yeas ago when he was first researching the ways of talking to the ECUs. I guess he'll have more info.

psbarham
19-03-2010, 07:48 AM
aah ok, i was expecting some differences between pre and post f/l with things like fuel cut limit because of the bigger throttle body/ inlet manifold in general.

so if there is no difference in maps then why have they changed the ecu's? are the later ones a faster processor?

Turbo_Steve
19-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Most likely cost - As John correctly pointed out on the TCU remap thread that Steelie started, the cost of knocking out almost identical ECUs in every car (and for every function) is way cheaper than plugging away at older designs. So chances are that the "ECU and electronics" division did a deal on 7202s, completely retooled and only produced ECUs based on that platform from then on.

bradc
19-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Or that 7201's couldn't be purchased any more, just like how you can't buy Pentium 4's any more ;)

Turbo_Steve
19-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Just to add, I'd be willing the bet that although the timing and fuelling maps haven't changed, some of the algorithms may have been tweaked.

We also don't know exactly how the TCU and ECU communicate on the autos: might be worthy of some investigation.

bradc
19-03-2010, 09:43 AM
And the whole 20hp loss thing!

Turbo_Steve
19-03-2010, 09:55 AM
just like how you can't buy Pentium 4's any more
Yeah. Though I suspect if you're Mitsubishi you can buy anything you want - it's just whether the price is worth it.

A previous employer of mine had a specific run of 486's (YES! 486s!) 'made' last year for a piece of software that would only run on specific hardware. It cost them a fricken fortune, but the project re-writing the app for modern hardware (and an a proper OS) was dragging on, so they had to swallow the cost or face the risk.

(note I say 'made' as I'm more prepared to believe that someone still has a stock of them somewhere)

Wodjno
19-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I would suspect the extra 19 or so Gee Gees, are almosy purely from better flow !

chris g
19-03-2010, 09:57 AM
You can't buy Pentium 4's any more...?

swinks
19-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I would suspect the extra 19 or so Gee Gees, are almosy purely from better flow !
And triangle: "ecu - tcu - tcl" is dragging it down. IMO differences between pfl anf fl (no tcl) tcu is worth to investigate.