PDA

View Full Version : It's finally happened (in more ways than 1)

Gowf
19-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Im sure some of you are/were aware of my current ongoing battle to solve the identity crisis that my legnum has (its neither quick or nimble enough for competition, nor truly comfortable enough for the road).

So im sure if you dont know what i intended to do you could work it out from the acid dipping thread.

So the plan was to keep the car running until its MOT ran out, and maybe longer..... however this is now no longer the case.

Ive been having intermittent issues selecting 2nd and 4th, which i put down to the bracket on top of the box. now with that all bolted up it was much better, until wednesday.....After a more than spirited drive on monday night, it just wasnt really happy with 2nd or 4th. When i got to reading on wednesday night i no longer had 2nd 4th or reverse, bit of a bitch to get out of a space in that situation!

So.... although i do have a spare manual box I really dont see the point in doing a job twice, only to prelong the inevitable, and drive a car thats costing me £80 per week in fuel. Instead, i got thinking and impulsively went out yesterday and bought a 1997 1.6 Colt, which is for the time being my only mode of transport.

To cut a long story short, as im sure you're quite bored by this pseudo tale of woe, the legnum is to be broken..... Thats right, broken and nearly everything is up for grabs.
I will put another thread up soon, in the apropriate section but just to give you a taster, everything does not include (for the moment):
Engine, turbo's manifolds, downpipe, wiring loom, Vipec, rear plate diff, shortshift, clutch. As i've got 2 boxes, there will be a manual conversion opertunity with a rebuilt box, im doing both anyway, as one has to become dog-toothed at some point.

I will put up a more definitive list of whats available later, and i should start stripping it in a few weeks.... Just cannot wait to see this pheonix rise from these ashes!

Nick Mann
19-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Sad to see the end of this project.

Looking forward to the next though!

What do you mean the clutch isn't available for £5.20?

Good luck with it all.

The Vee
19-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Ah you've worked so hard on this, but as you've said, and mentioned in the past perhaps it's been a long time coming.
The bits that are not for sale, hmmmm, guess they might fit in a colt!!;)

pezza
19-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear that the end is nigh for the beast... but wont the VR lump fit in the colt like the Vee says? :-)

Am sure the parts will live on amongst many VR's tho...

Wodjno
19-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Sorry to hear this also Gareth.. But as stated , it will be a quick Colt /yes

Turbo_Steve
19-03-2010, 12:22 PM
It would be a quick colt....but not a very economical one.......:)

crazyken76
19-03-2010, 01:35 PM
gowf u have pm mt

Gowf
19-03-2010, 05:35 PM
True it would be a quick colt.... But then it would be far too heavy. 1000kg is a joke...... 700 is more like it!

666damned
19-03-2010, 09:50 PM
bit of a bummer that m8y.............but i'm sure your parts will live on in memory....

ANTHONY
19-03-2010, 10:39 PM
bit of a bummer that m8y.............but i'm sure your parts will live on in memory....yes i agree your pants will live on in memory:mexicanwav

giblet
19-03-2010, 10:46 PM
True it would be a quick colt.... But then it would be far too heavy. 1000kg is a joke...... 700 is more like it!

Uber stripped out colt? Sorry to hear about your car, but I suppose you can now move on to something different and just as mental

Turbo_Steve
19-03-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm only gutted I never got to go out in the White Whale :( I wanted to see how it stacked up against the Black Death.

Gowf
20-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Its a shame you never did steve, it was pretty epic when working right, but there have just been too many teething problems with it. Gearbox was the last straw.

Now as long as i dont put this new thing im building on the road until finished, it might stand a fighting chance of being finished, unlike the leggie.

Why does everyone think im building a colt?

psbarham
20-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Why does everyone think im building a colt?

coz you've brought one /pan

200 shot of nitrous and it'll beat the leggie up the strip :D

ANTHONY
20-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Why does everyone think im building a colt? well if you aint ....think about it could be fun with a VR4 lump

Gowf
20-03-2010, 01:45 PM
well if you aint ....think about it could be fun with a VR4 lump

I have and it would be far too slow... thats all im saying, but you'l find out hopefuly by august the 14th 2011

crazyken76
20-03-2010, 01:45 PM
hmmm i think u have a galant :)

crazyken76
20-03-2010, 01:49 PM
hmmm what could i buy :)

aboo
20-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Gutted to see this Leggie is getting broken.

I had the pleasure to have a spin in this monster all be it in the wet but still got a feel for the kick in the arse it gave you.

To sit in a Leggie that spun the wheels through 1st,2nd & 3rd gear up the strip I will never forget & will probably never do again.

Was hoping you would get the recored 1/4 before it left your hands.

Look forward to seeing your next project & good luck with it mate.

Gowf
21-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Gutted to see this Leggie is getting broken.

I had the pleasure to have a spin in this monster all be it in the wet but still got a feel for the kick in the arse it gave you.

To sit in a Leggie that spun the wheels through 1st,2nd & 3rd gear up the strip I will never forget & will probably never do again.

Was hoping you would get the recored 1/4 before it left your hands.

Look forward to seeing your next project & good luck with it mate.

It was good for me that someone has actualy sat in it, just to prove that it did exist!

To be honest, i am gutted. Seeing it sitting on my drive, when it could be sorted easily does get my goat. But i promised myself that if anything else went id start this project. oh well.

miller
21-03-2010, 11:15 AM
sad sad day.

Kenneth
22-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Have you taken a look at the gearbox selector cables?

Mine recently had that problem, all it was was the U clip thinggy that holds in one of the selector cables. Because it kept "catching" on the bracket, I sometimes could get 2nd, 4th or R, but most of the time it didn't work.

Gowf
23-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah i had had a look at the cables, and id previously sorted out the bracketry to stop it flexing.

Had another look today though as i need to get it off my drive and just wondered if it could be what your saying Ken. Anyway, today getting it into gear wasnt an issue (from a hand on the selectors point of view) but nothing from the gearstick at all. So the lower cable has snapped. Oh the joys, but at least that saves me having to rebuild the box. Always a silver lining eh

AlanDITD
23-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Have you actually stripped any of it gowf?

I would fix it and get it on the strip asap before you do, be a real shame to not see it smash the girly nitrous times :)

Gowf
23-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah i know, i know..... But no the time has come. Everytime its been at the strip there has been some issue or another. So i've got to be sensible here and just get on with the job in hand, and to be honest, i really cant be bothered fitting a new cable, just lost interest in it now

TAR
23-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Send it over to John's - we can fit a new cable and even take it down the strip if you like

Go on you know you want to....

:happy:

Gowf
23-03-2010, 11:40 PM
You paying for the new cables? £180 from the stealer for the pair! Again, although i need a set, its just the straw thats broken the camels back.

Ive seen john drive........... saying no more! :afro:

miller
24-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Ive seen john drive........... saying no more! :afro:

at least your car wouldnt break :D

coney
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey gareth sorry to hear about your car mate i'd be gutted if it were mine! did you say some parts are up for sale?

btw what caused the the gears to fail?

Humpty's Revenge
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey gareth sorry to hear about your car mate i'd be gutted if it were mine! did you say some parts are up for sale?

btw what caused the the gears to fail?

Neal that thread is 16+ months old bud.

Rixarena
06-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Lol I like it when old threads get reopened usually when people search for stuff and don't check the original or last post date.

Gowf
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
As has been said, its all gone, car is no more... Just wear and tear on the cables over time combined with the them over compensating for the wearing rubber mounts.

I do miss this car I really do, but smaller, lighter and better things as they say.....