PDA

View Full Version : Is it alternator issue?

swinks
19-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi!
Recently I suffer from very loud squeaky and screech noise on start obviously indicating on loosen drivebelts. But belts tension seems to be OK.
Noise starts after long stand (5 or more hours) and last from start for approx 1 - 2 min. then settled and OK, no issues whilst driving.
Belts were changed 1000 miles ago. Also alternator tensioner pulley. Well, my first thought was to go for PAS tensioner pulley, hence I've bought one and new belts again.
Well, today I did another quick investigation and noise seems to come from alternator area.
Hence my question, does it possible that alternator is dying? (no other issues with alternator i.e. low current, etc.)
Or someone from nearby can look more experienced eye, and help me with this annoying issue.

Turbo_Steve
19-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Could just be a bearing drying out in the alternator....or even the tensioner?

crazyken76
19-03-2010, 11:54 PM
could be a mouse :)

Davezj
19-03-2010, 11:57 PM
after your long stand when know the car will screech, put the bonnet up ready and have a can of wd40 to hand with the direction tube fitted.

as the screech is audible spary the alternator belt and only the alternator belt with the WD40 and if the screech stop instantly then that is the offending belt. if it does not stop then spray the PAS belt and it should stop after that.

this will only diagnose which belt is slipping. don't worry about getting WD40 on the belt it will ware off in a matter of minutes and the screech will come back next time you start the car after a long stand.

if the screech has been going on for a while, then a new belt can get trashed very quickly and i would suggest chaging the belt again and tighten it up a bit more than it is at the moment. you need to check the belt tension before and after the belt change with a proper belt tentioning gauge. but if you don't have one of those you can judge this by undoing the tensioning bolt a set number of turns to change the belt and then do it back up a set number of turns and add a couple. Then you know you are slightly tighter than before.
it is the cheapest solution to start with and if the screeching returns after the new belt is fitted then it is time to start looking a the alternator and idler pulley for bearing play etc.

or as steve has said if the screech does not go away after the belt has been sprayed the you could try sparing the alternator and idler bearings. it turn to diagnose the offing item.

crazyken76
20-03-2010, 12:00 AM
sounds like the bottom tensioner u might need a new one

Wodjno
20-03-2010, 12:09 AM
sounds like the bottom tensioner u might need a new one
This was my 1st thought.
But as stated the WD40 regime is a good way to start!
Another thing is u have said belts have been recently changed. How was they tensioned ? Not over tensioned and putting excess pressure other pulleys !

swinks
20-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Apparently spraying doesn't help at all. I know that PAS tensioner pulley is knackered (bearing has play), so it's my 1st priority, but defo noise was coming from alternator area hence my confusion.
Yhmm... need to source another alternator, best one could be a 120A one. /Hmmm

BTW, which direction is loosing and which is tightening tensioner by screw (clockwise and anticlockwise). Now got confused how it works...:coat

Wodjno
20-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Pretty sure A/C wise is tension belt.
May have Alternator if u need 1.
Drop me text tmora if u do and i'll take a look..

swinks
20-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Glenn, you have PM.

Davezj
20-03-2010, 12:22 AM
don't jump to any conclusions about play in the PAS idler pulley. i thought mine had excessive play in it, as when i grabbed it and trying to rock it from side to side it went dingk, dingk, dingk, dingk and moved about 1mm in each direction. so i was going to change it. that was 3 years ago and it is exactly the same now as it was then just gives a little dingk, dingk moves about 1mm as you rock it from side to side.
I didn't change it originally because i took the opportunity to check other cars when i went to meets, and all of them were exactly the same, all gave a little dingk, dingk moved about 1mm, as you tried to rock them from side to side.
i still check it periodically but nothing has changed.

by the way the pulley's are not cheap things, check camskill and the ebay sellers for price comparison.

swinks
20-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Dave, I got PAS pulley in my hands whilst last time belt change. Honestly bearing was knackered, but haven't got new one to replace.
Now, I have new one recently purchased due to noise we talking about, but not yet changed. And you're right, it's not a cheap stuff.

Davezj
20-03-2010, 12:32 AM
just didn't want you speding loads of cash when it was not necessary.
but as you say if was knackered then your doing the right thing by changing it.

psbarham
20-03-2010, 12:39 AM
if glen can't sort you out then i have a 100 amp one here

swinks
20-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Paul, have you got a time tomorrow, Sunday or Monday to look closely?

psbarham
20-03-2010, 09:18 AM
i'm about all weekend, although sunday would be best

swinks
20-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Right then...
Busy Saturday morning. Galoon on jack stands and another investigation. :book:
I replaced PAS tensioner pulley. Old one looks like in pictures. There is little noise coming from bearing and little play. Noticeable difference in comparison with new one.
Belts still in good condition, so I didn't replaced ones. Checked on tension with simple ruler. I know it's not a perfect measure method, but only one I could do.
PAS belt bit loose, deflection 14mm, so after replacing pulley I tighten up a bit.
Alternator belt - completely PITA. Deflection 18mm, and I couldn't loose locking nut of tensioner (access!!). Finally I tighten up a bit.
Car is back on driveway and staying till evening. We'll see if that was it. Fingers crossed.

swinks
21-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Seems that problem solved.
Runs after 24 hours nice and quiet.
Happy bunny :)