PDA

View Full Version : new member looking for a vr4.

onereallynicespeed
20-03-2010, 08:32 PM
hi guys.ive just joined the club so its a hello to everyone.ive been looking at these vr4s for a while and now that ive just sold a weekend toy im on the lookout for one.ive seen that the gearboxes are a weak link but are there any other issues to consider when viewing or roadtesting apart from the obvious? mileage wise should it be the lowest you can get or are high milers ok? all your input greatfully received. many thanks barry

bradc
20-03-2010, 09:14 PM
The manual gearboxes are completely bulletproof. The auto gearboxes need to have the exact type or oil in them and the exact amount of oil in it too. They can also explode for no apparent reason it about 5 different ways!

Well maintained they tend to be pretty reliable though.

WildCards
20-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Well maintained the auto boxes are also bulletproof. Unless you're going to put pap oil in the box or track the car every weekend you'll be fine on an auto, especially for standard power.

Nutter_John
20-03-2010, 10:46 PM
The manual gearboxes are completely bulletproof. .

What absoute twaddle you speak , the manual box is basically an evo box with different ratios . Just look on any forum for Evo's and see how many people have issues with there gearbox ( loads )

Also I suppose Gowf's gearbox is still in great shape given it is a manual

The auto box is a good box if you looking after it

Nick Mann
20-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't worry about high mileage if the car has been maintained.

Both gearboxes have issues. Most cars are autos and the big deal with those is making sure the current owner understands which oil needs to be in there.

They came out of the factory with not enough underseal, so make sure the car is looking nice and clean underneath - especially where the front strut comes up in the front wheel arch and the lip of the rear wheelarch.

Most stuff is just personal preference and dictated by budget. Oh, and late 1998 onwards will be facelifted and so is automatically better than 80% of the cars on this site! :P

crazyken76
21-03-2010, 12:08 AM
have to say this but every car that is made has a fault in some way or another they are built into them just look at toyota :)

bradc
21-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Well maintained the auto boxes are also bulletproof. Unless you're going to put pap oil in the box or track the car every weekend you'll be fine on an auto, especially for standard power.

Mostly yes, but sometimes things like the wave spring and the torque converter seal can go. The wave spring tends to cause destruction, while the torque converter seal is only a problem if you don't spot the leaks and let the oil run low. There are also cases (witness Kieran's VR-4) where perfectly maintained auto boxes explode without reason.

bradc
21-03-2010, 04:54 AM
What absoute twaddle you speak , the manual box is basically an evo box with different ratios . Just look on any forum for Evo's and see how many people have issues with there gearbox ( loads )

Also I suppose Gowf's gearbox is still in great shape given it is a manual

The auto box is a good box if you looking after it

You find me a manual box in an Evo that has caused problems at stock-ish power, heck even up to 350hp I doubt you'll find one that has failed as spectacularly as some of the auto's do on here.

Ryan
21-03-2010, 07:47 AM
uploaded/50107/1269154032.jpg

psbarham
21-03-2010, 09:30 AM
cough cough, toasted 5th gear sychro here, cough cough

Nutter_John
21-03-2010, 11:41 AM
You find me a manual box in an Evo that has caused problems at stock-ish power, heck even up to 350hp I doubt you'll find one that has failed as spectacularly as some of the auto's do on here.

My fifth gear syncrho is kanckered , thats a evo 8 260 car , it was kanckered when I bought and the power was stock .

Two totally different situations Brad , the auto is far more complex than a manual box , so there is more chance that they go wrong

BUT

Hmmm now with both mine and Paul's being knackered does that still make em bullet proof

elnevio
21-03-2010, 12:13 PM
LOL at the manual/auto conflict! /lol

Anyway, welcome to CVR4 - madness optional... :rolleyes4

onereallynicespeed
21-03-2010, 02:44 PM
thanks for all your comments guys.didnt mean to start a full scale scrap on here was just interested in your thoughts about the niggles with these cars.im assuming most of the problems are with the gearboxes then? so many nice looking cars for sale and just not shifting.so much car for little money.

bradc
21-03-2010, 07:20 PM
EVO 8's are 6 speeds though aren't they? Messing up the 5th syncro is impressive though!

Nutter_John
21-03-2010, 07:24 PM
No Brad it is a 5 speed box

elnevio
21-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I thought the 5 speed was available on VIIIs anyway.

By the bye, that is a little OT anyway!!

The gearboxes are generally unproblematic. The only real 'common' fault with VR-4s is the clock! Nothing else is particularly common.

bradc
21-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Nev, over here all road cars were supplied with 6 speeds, I thought only the 'standard' USDM and Rally EVO 8's had 5 speeds. Can't beleive someone blew the synchro on 5th!

As a general rule though, yes the manuals are great gearboxes.

ANTHONY
21-03-2010, 07:36 PM
arn't we going a bit off track here the guy only asked ( new member looking for a vr4.) and it's started fighting in the ranks ..... a hope you find what your looking for