PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Seat Rails

Beastlee
21-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know if we can use the Recaro universal seat rails on a VR4?
If not do we need a different rail to a UK Galant?

I'm trying to find prices for a pair as I've found a matching seat to the one Marcus is selling over here but I'll need at least one new rail set for them if I can get away with the universal one.

Mark 4
21-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Pretty sure it won't fit Lee. You'll probably end up having to fabricate something

Beastlee
25-03-2010, 10:33 PM
I just found out I can get the rails for about £100 each but there's a lead time on them. This is via a purchase in Germany though so expect to add 19% plus postage to the price.

phosty
27-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Lee, I bought the genuine recaro rails and yes they fit the floor bolts perfectly.....but fitting Evo 8 recaros to them hasn't progressed very well.

The Evo 8 stock rails are longer than the recaro subframes so the bolt hole on the outside rear rail has nothing to attach to.

The recaro frames came with rails but to attach them to the Evo 8 seats you have to remove the old rails - and they are attached with soft steel alan bolts that are threadlocked in so the alan head holes just rounded.

I contemplated grinding off the bolt heads but then I'd need to extract the bolt shank somehow (it's threadlocked). So I instead cut a hole along the rail in the correct place - but then you can't get an alan key onto it because the seat doesn't got far enough forward. Argghhh!

I'm going to try grinding an alan key so it is short enough to fit between the rail and seat - so it's in the garage until a dry day.

Beastlee
27-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks, this will be to fit the aftermarket version of the Recaros in a VR4, these ones have the full electrics, heat and vent which means a little more weight but a very comfy drive. I'm interested in them more for my back than anything. I believe it's a simple remove old universal frame and bolt on new frame....but I'm still not sure if I should go for it or not.

Atik
28-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Lee, if you dont mind fabricating the mounting, why not just go for any comfy seat you can find? Any sort of luxury car brand seat would be electric, heated and sporty. If you wanted to match the interior, you would have a much easier time doing it that way.

Beastlee
28-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Atik, the thing is that any pair of seats with the full kit on them are going to set me back £500+ including sorting the mount. Ideally I'd like something like you bought with the S8 seats but they aren't appearing much and, as you say, need some fabrication.
I like the idea of the Recaros as they are similar to the option for the VR4 but with all the extras. My only issue is that they are cloth and grey rather than dark blue or black to match the interior. I expect to get a pair and fit them will be in the region of £6-700.