PDA

View Full Version : Help looking for a vr4

scottie2hotti
23-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey well I'm new here been looking for a VR4 Legnum, found a couple on trademe but am curious how often the timing/cambelts need changing. are there any issues with tiptronic ones or should i pay a bit more for a manual. I may be 19 but im not a boyracer i just want a reasonable powered car and 4wd for ski fields etc. also whats the best insurance company for anyone else round my age?

Ryan
23-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey well I'm new here been looking for a VR4 Legnum, found a couple on trademe but am curious how often the timing/cambelts need changing. are there any issues with tiptronic ones or should i pay a bit more for a manual. I may be 19 but im not a boyracer i just want a reasonable powered car and 4wd for ski fields etc. also whats the best insurance company for anyone else round my age?

Hi

* Cambelt: Replace every 90-100k

* Tiptronic box: Need to be well maintained with the correct fluids. Known issue are torque converter seal failure (expensive job to replace as it needs AT out to fit).

* Manual: Shorter gear ratios, car feels a lot more aggressive through the gears. Clutches will need replacing but other than that should be fine. I own an auto and am happy with it but that said, I would have preferred a manual. Autos are heavier than manuals both in weight and fuel consumption.

* Insurance: Shop around - no idea what sort of licence you're on, what sort of anti-theft you have fitted to your vehicle and no idea of your driving history.

Gly
23-03-2010, 09:10 AM
cambelt, 100thou km or 5 years which ever comes first

have a read of the buyers guide...
http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=BuyersGuide

insurance, you will get reamed, mainly because of your age,
and as soon as you mention twin turbo, you will be put in the boy racer category

scottie2hotti
23-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Cheers guys. Had a bit of a shop round and fire and theft all reasonable cheaper than my Vl commodore was. but as soon as ya mention full it skyrockets to 80-200 a month. Dam those boyracers..

elnevio
23-03-2010, 09:36 AM
/Welcome

Good luck in your hunt for a VR-4, and cheap insurance! :)

bradc
23-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Have you seen mine for sale? It has the good gearbox :)

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45330

OnBoost!
24-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Welcome,good luck with finding a nice VR4.

djb160
24-03-2010, 05:06 AM
... looking for a VR4 Legnum ... I may be 19 but im not a boyracer...

That's what you think. You just wait.. LOL

As the others have said 19+Turbos=Insurance Inflicted Pain in large amounts. Hell even at 25 with a full drivers, no accidents, full cover will still be a lot. At least you're not want a Legacy GT, that would be much worse.

Goku
24-03-2010, 05:26 AM
^^ Dude I pay like $65 a month for my insurance, that's with full cover and contents insurance.

It all depends on the insurance company, best way to deal is to go to a branch with documentation from previous insurance companies to show no claims have been made, and you're a good customer.

VR4WGN
24-03-2010, 06:00 AM
well TBH i think theres only Brads one available on the mrket ATM that id trust,it is original,manula and rare colour..

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 06:58 AM
this is who i get insurance through. i pay 855 a year for full cover and AFAIK they are the cheapest in nz for turbo modified cars with drivers under 25.
http://www.carsure.co.nz/

plus if you say i reccomened you i get a $40 fuel voucher :) haha
but in all seriousness they are a wicked insuracne company, and they are owned by the same company as NAC and tower and BNZ insurances.

bradc
24-03-2010, 06:59 AM
I had my first VR-4 when I was 20, still got it :) No big deal for me at all finding insurance.

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 07:04 AM
oh yeah and by the way I am 19 too and all the mods are covered in my policy. I got this car when i was 17 and 855 a year is what they charged me then

Goku
24-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Have you had to claim anything yet though ?

NAC are real iffy about paying out, and the excesses can be large sums.

I got my VR-4 when I was 21, I was insured through state with no problem, they charged 1k for the 1st year and then it dropped to 800 after that. Now I'm with AMI and I only pay about 600 odd a year with a $500 excess.

Ryan
24-03-2010, 07:43 AM
NAC are real iffy about paying out, and the excesses can be large sums.

I'm busy looking around for insurance now that I've my licence back and I've approached two companies so far, Clic (never heard of them but underwritten by AMI) and NAC (IAG).

NAC's annual premium is about $400 less than Clic but the excess is $300 more and the Burglary / Theft excess is $500 more. Lastly - the windscreen excess is $150 - with Clic this is free apparently (yet to see a written quote from them though).

So ja, not quite sure who to approach TBH - might look at that crowd that Adam mentioned.

Subaru ETA
24-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Protecta are good - i have the vr4 and the airtrek with them.

the vr4 used to be with pioneer but they got out of car insurance and transfered all ppolicies to protecta.....turned out protecta are cheaper anyway!!

insure direct are well priced aswell.

i wouldnt go anywhere near any company under written by IAG personally.

Ryan
24-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Ideally I'd like to do both car and contents, preferably with the same company as part of some sort of package?

Sorry for the /Hijack

scottie2hotti
24-03-2010, 09:52 AM
only slightly. is there any km limit you'd recommend not going passed for legnums. and anyone know of any in chch area. there a purple one on trademe link http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=278483833 what do you think?

bradc
24-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Not really. Once over 200,000km you probably need to think about the turbos and ayc diff potentially causing problems. Suspension bushes can wear out too of course. The bigger thing really is when the cambelt was last done!

Subaru ETA
24-03-2010, 10:12 AM
if you are going to buy a higher km car, buy a club car. then it has history!

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 10:33 AM
na i havnt claimed, but all insurance companys want to keep the money you give them. haha
but my excess is 600 for guys on full licence under 25 and 400 for girls on full licence under 25, and 400 for anyone over 25 on full licence. 150 windscreen excess.

but anyways if anyone does go with carsure. say i reccomended you. all you got to do is drop my name over the phone and I think they send me a fuel voucher, and i could definatly use a few of those

taupodrifta
24-03-2010, 08:36 PM
how much did you wanna spend?

djb160
24-03-2010, 09:04 PM
SOuth island is not a good place to look ATM. I suggest checking out what you can get in the north island, get an AA check, ask a member close by to give you a 1st hand opinion/test and then just truck it down.

Subaru ETA
27-03-2010, 11:24 AM
mine was just sold to a south island member :)