PDA

View Full Version : power steering issue

joshua
23-03-2010, 06:36 PM
recently iv had a power steering issue on my 1997 legnum vr4,i was turing around and had it full lock,as i drove away i had no power steering,the belt is still on and there is no oil leaking,has got me quite stumped

Davezj
23-03-2010, 06:51 PM
you might have trashed your pump. did you pull away quickly or had you been doing doughnuts.
i trashed my power steering pump in the snow by doing half a doughnut. it is the full lock and accelerating that does it.
did you hear an unusual noise from the engine bay when you pulled away and then the steering went very heavy.

joshua
24-03-2010, 04:23 AM
i did pull away quickly probably on one bar of ayc,but didnt hear a noise as my music was up quite loud,how much was yours to get fixed?

Turbo_Steve
24-03-2010, 11:44 AM
If the pump has failed it'll be a new pump, Joshua, either from Mistubishi or a used one from someone on here.

And I would imagine you can fit it yourself - I haven't done it, but it doesn't look especially hard.

Davezj
27-03-2010, 07:47 PM
there are write up on here for changing Power steering pumps.

be careful though the Pre Facelift and facelift pumps are different. Buy the correct one if you need one.

pedro
27-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I trashed my ps pump on my old car and even I managed to change it no worries. Its a little tricky to get it out but other than that its easy peasy!!
Hope you get it sorted.

joshua
29-03-2010, 05:32 AM
changed the pump and still no powersteering,have no idea what else it could be,anymore ideas??

thump3rvr4
29-03-2010, 06:58 AM
have you checked for leaks along the steering rack?? mine was doing the same thing (heavy steering at low revs). it was leaking from a bolt underneath when i went for a warrant. i had the steering refurbished and its seems to have gone now so that might be a possiblity

Davezj
29-03-2010, 08:35 PM
changed the pump and still no power steering,have no idea what else it could be,anymore ideas??

i presume you have refilled the reservoir with ATF and bled the air out of the rack.

if you have not done this then it is easy to do see below.

all you need to do is fill reservoir and turn steering wheel from all the way left to all the way right a few times, top up reservoir repeat steering wheel turning, top up reservoir again if necessary and turn steering wheel again the should purge all air from the system.

sorry if this sucking eggs but some people don't know they need to do this.

joshua
30-03-2010, 06:10 AM
there are no visual leaks and the powersteering fluid level doesnt change,i did bleed it but didnt seem to make a difference,i was told that the system has a sensor so im thinking i might of buggered that.

Davezj
31-03-2010, 10:00 PM
this how the theory goes as i understand it but i could be wrong, if someone know for definate then i am sure they will correct me.
the sensor/valve is close to the pump, it is on top of the high pressure out pipe from the pump to the steering rack.
i not 100% sure but i think it is not a sensor, more like a valve that changes the pressure delivered to the rack, depending on the load on the engine by using the manifold pressure to change the position of the valve, which changes the amount of assistance.

check the pipes going to the valve for leaks, etc. it should obvious where they go to they are quite short. you will have to take the plastic engine cover off to do this.

however i never really got my head round the actual functioning of the this valve. so i don't know what pressure valve does what, e.g. opening/closing presure/vacuum. from the engine inlet manifold.

joshua
12-04-2010, 08:22 AM
i got the issue fixed,cost me $800 >=(, it was the new pump i put in it was a dud, thanks for all the help

Davezj
12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
glad to here you got it fixed, must be a weight off you mind. well done

batherst
16-04-2010, 05:07 AM
so it seems a replacement pump did the trick for you? Im having the same prob but the only difference is, when i am stationary and turn the wheel the pump makes a groaning noise and power steering fluid leaks quite fast out onto the ground. so im not sure if its the pump thats stuffed or if its the leak thats causing the prob. any ideas?

Davezj
16-04-2010, 01:47 PM
firstly, if the pump is working you can see the fluid in the reservoir moving about. as it gets pumped around the system.

secondly if you hold the steering wheel at full lock then the pomp is under max load and will probably make a noise to say "Stop doing it, your going to break me"

thirdly, if there is enough fluid leaking out so you can physically see it running out, stop what you are doing and fix the leak, you can see where it is coming from.