PDA

View Full Version : Paint code problems.

kinger
23-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I was ment to be getting my car back from the pain shop today after having my bonnet fitted and painted and my front bumper painted, had a phone call from the painters saying they were having problems, the paint code on the car seemed to be out a little bit, he said in some angles it looked ok and in others it was totally different!!! so was doing his best to match it.
Was just wondering if any one else has had this problem??
What ever the colour, my car is silver (dont know the actual name)

miller
23-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Silver is very hard to match, i am presuming he is using the Hamilton Cilver code and not the Thurston Grey?

Mine has two codes, these i mention above. The Thursten grey if like mine is to be ignored.

What does it say on your vin plate? Any pics or can you go have a look?

Mike

miller
23-03-2010, 07:19 PM
have a look at this thread of mine, does the paint codes match yours?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29612&highlight=twin+paint+codes

steelie600
23-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Yep silver is one of the hardest colours to match. So is Red. with red they may look perfect under sunlight but under streetlighting the matches can be awful!!!

hardarse
23-03-2010, 09:22 PM
you will find it very hard to match with metalic in. the wrong distance, too dryer applied coat. things like these will make it look different. but the ten year old paint on your car is the biggest problem.

Spirit
23-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I was ment to be getting my car back from the pain shop today

Some S&M for your VR4 eh ?

Hope you get it sorted mate but, as said, I would guess the old paint is the biggest issue.

HMG1K
23-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I had the same problem with Pyrenees Black - a Pearlescence paint.

Paint shop (a main dealer's in house bodyshop) gave me the car back having painted the two rear panels on my saloon and it looked great. However, under flood lights the panels looked a shade out. Back at the bodyshop they called a guy in from ICI. They used a handheld scanner to scan the good panels and the freshly painted panels. Yes, they were different. When he ran it through his computer matching software, it turned out my Mitsubishi Pyrenees Black was closest match to a Honda colour. On a scale of 1 to 20, the match was a '1' which he said was ultra spot on.

My car went back into the body shop, had the Honda shade and it looks an identical factory match. So much so I then had my bonnet and front bumper done to get rid of those stone chips.

See if your bodyshop has a guy on call from the companies they buy their paints from to do the same computer colour matching.