PDA

View Full Version : I think my radiator may be knackered - where to get a new one?

Jesus-Ninja
23-03-2010, 11:40 PM
I've been having this problem where the oil temps are high, but the water temps are low - I take my oil temp in the filter (sandwich plate) and my water temp in the top hose. I thought it might be the 'stat and so I changed that, but the problem is still there.

My reasoning is this - if the rad is blocked or gunked up, then coolant will flow very slowly through it during which time it will cool a lot, showing a low temperature in the top pipe, but actually not cooling the engine very well, as there's not much moving through the rad and it's going very slowly at that. As a result the oil and engine temps will be high.

The stock temp gauge sits bang in the middle, but in my experience they ted to until things blow up.

So, where to get a new rad from? Happy to go uprated at the right price.

What else fits? Evo rads?

Gowf
23-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Your going to struggle to upgrade. The only one that i could find was a copper one at £800.

The evo ones dont fit at all im afraid, but if you go for the likes of the ones viking radiators are selling you wont have any issues i can assure you.

Wodjno
23-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Camskill /yes

www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1394p10874

swinks
23-03-2010, 11:58 PM
You can get alloy high flow radiators costing approx. 110 to 130 quid. But there are only ones for manual transmission available, so if you want to go this way, you'll need additional gearbox oil cooler and thermostat.

Ryan
24-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Doesn't Bradc have some sort of EVO radiator?

edit: Yes Brad does have an EVO 4-6 radiator which he managed to fit :thinking:

scott.mohekey
24-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Pretty sure Carsten (Gly) has one too.

CANDEE
24-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Yes both Brad and Carsten both have Evo radiators that they have made fit.

There is also the Golpher ones from Michaels Auto in Aussie.

There also will be another option coming soon from Scarles in Auckland, which should be a direct fit like the Golpher ones...

Gowf
24-03-2010, 02:47 AM
But youve got to ask yourself, how much cooling do you actualy need or want?

I looked into this when mine originaly died, and with what i had running at 1.5bar of boost (with a 1.3bar rad cap), the water temps never got beyond acceptable levels, even on the dyno.

So is there need for the likes of a koyo rad? Probably not.

I know that if you made an evo one fit then you do have more of a choice of upgrade, but what is the point if you can get a stock aluminium rad for £110 that does the job sufficiently?

Kitty's VR4
24-03-2010, 06:41 AM
This is one of the Golpher 40mm Radiators compared to 26mm OEM Radiator

uploaded/57846/1269409248.jpg

But you have to notch out one of the drivers side fan support legs so it clears the aluminium tube going to the A/C compressor (not a deal buster, but something to be aware of)

uploaded/57846/1269408464.jpg

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 08:24 AM
You can get alloy high flow radiators costing approx. 110 to 130 quid. But there are only ones for manual transmission available, so if you want to go this way, you'll need additional gearbox oil cooler and thermostat.

I have a manual :)

Do you have a link?

Kitty's VR4
24-03-2010, 09:46 AM
This is the Link to the Micaelsautoparts one, 40mm Manual Model (http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/p/294/96-01-Mitsubishi-Galant-VR-4-6A13T-AT-375x718x40mm.html)

swinks
24-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a manual :)

Do you have a link?

Here, sir:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISH-GALANT-2-0L-2-5L-96-HIGH-FLOW-RACE-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ220519829990QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item33580191 e6

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Here, sir:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISH-GALANT-2-0L-2-5L-96-HIGH-FLOW-RACE-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ220519829990QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item33580191 e6

:thumbsup: Ordered. Can't see it being any worse than the stock item, and it's certainly no more expensive.

Rambaud
24-03-2010, 12:54 PM
:thumbsup: Ordered. Can't see it being any worse than the stock item, and it's certainly no more expensive.

Did you get a price from a Mitsi dealer?

The one in Belfast wanted £350 + VAT! /Grrr

Nick Mann
24-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Nick, could you see how the gap between the fans and the turbo etc changes?

I'm assuming that the thicker core will mean the fans are further in to the engine bay, meaning less room for a bigger tub....

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Will do, Nick. If it does, then it will either need to be a thinner fan (eg spal etc) or front mounted (yuk)

Wodjno
24-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Will do, Nick. If it does, then it will either need to be a thinner fan (eg spal etc) or front mounted (yuk)

Wouldn't it be easier just to fit a know to fit one from Camskill :huh2:

Nick Mann
24-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of room for the standard tubs. I'm just curious if it makes any significant differance to clearance with a bigger tub.

Gowf
24-03-2010, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Jesus-Ninja]Will do, Nick. If it does, then it will either need to be a thinner fan (eg spal etc) or front mounted (yuk)[/QUOTE

Push fans are the only way if you are wanting to maximise space for bigger tubs. You really would struggle with the stock fans being any further back than what they already are.

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, allegedly it's going to arrive tomorrow, which is handy as I have the afternoon off. :)

Pictures to follow.

elnevio
24-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, allegedly it's going to arrive tomorrow, which is handy as I have the afternoon off. :)

Pictures to follow.
Which guarantees morning delivery! /wall

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't it be easier just to fit a know to fit one from Camskill :huh2:

I don't think there will be any issue with fitting. The response was more aimed at Nick Mann RE bigger tubs. This is £30 cheaper than camskill, and I'm confident the cooling will be as good as, and probably better than, stock.

Making things fit is a speciality :)

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Aye, you're probably right, Nev! I shipped an AYC diff out to a chap on Monday, and sods law, the courier came to collect exactly in the middle of the only time (10 mins!) I was away from the house /wall

Still, I'll get to go on an economo-trip in the 306 to collect it! I'm loving 60mpg :D

Gonna be a shock when I take the VR4 to Donegal!

elnevio
24-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Aye, you're probably right, Nev! I shipped an AYC diff out to a chap on Monday, and sods law, the courier came to collect exactly in the middle of the only time (10 mins!) I was away from the house /wall

Still, I'll get to go on an economo-trip in the 306 to collect it! I'm loving 60mpg :D

Gonna be a shock when I take the VR4 to Donegal!
Now remember, you have to stop at those things called "petrol stations" !

Jesus-Ninja
24-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Now remember, you have to stop at those things called "petrol stations" !

:D Do they have V-Power in Eire? And is it cheaper than the UK?

Louis
24-03-2010, 09:11 PM
You can fit the evo 8 alloy rad, you have to cut off one of the locating studs at the bottom of the rad (drivers side), and re drill your top mount brackets, You don't need to cut any of the car. The rad cap is to the right of the top hose and the original top hose and bottom hoses from you VR4 will fit (the top reaches over ok).
The EVO 8 rad is about 40mm deep, if you also use thin fans in the normal position, you still have more room than the standard set up. If it were an auto you need to get a seperate trans cooler sorted out. I don't have any good pics but here are a couple from when I did the engine covers.

Wodjno
24-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Quick question..

Is the V6 N/A Auto and Manual Rad the same as the Vr4's ?

scott.mohekey
24-03-2010, 10:37 PM
In my experience, yes.

Louis
25-03-2010, 12:31 AM
As far as I know, some of the NA ones are thinner, (VR4 ones are something like 26mm and the thinner type are about 17mm), I ran with one of the thinner ones through a summer with no problems.

stuey
25-03-2010, 03:38 AM
As far as I know, some of the NA ones are thinner, (VR4 ones are something like 26mm and the thinner type are about 17mm), I ran with one of the thinner ones through a summer with no problems.

Me too, mines a brand new V6 auto one, seems a tad thinner, but no temp issues at all last summer.. Those sexy Ali one's weren't on ebay about a year ago or i wouldv'e had one..

Jesus-Ninja
25-03-2010, 08:41 AM
You can fit the evo 8 alloy rad
cut off one of the locating studs at the bottom of the rad
re drill your top mount brackets, You don't need to cut any of the car
the original top hose and bottom hoses from you VR4 will fit

That's my definition of "fits" :thumbsup:

Bought the Galant 32mm one now though - doh. Still, I'm sure it will be up to the job. :)

Jesus-Ninja
25-03-2010, 08:12 PM

You were right - AM delivery :(

But he left it outside the front door! :)

Roberto
25-03-2010, 10:00 PM
:D Do they have V-Power in Eire? And is it cheaper than the UK?

Nope, best you can do is visit the Maxol garages and get thier unleaded, it's an E5, so a better octane rating compaired to the normal unleaded.

Jesus-Ninja
25-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Hmm, perhaps I need to fill up in Holyhead and then hope I can grab some as I pass through NI on the way to Donegal.

Jesus-Ninja
26-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Well, back on topic....

What a POS!!!! Seriously, the rad looks like it's been made by a blind welder who received instructions down a crackly phone line in a language he didn't understand. EDIT: I apologies, that's not fair to blind people. A blind man would have done a better job even if he wasn't a welder.

None of the mounting points for the fans line up, and none of them are perpendicur, so when you do get a fan mounted in one corner, it doesn't sit flat, and you have to strain the fans to get them up to the other points (which of course don't align.

Both the bottom pegs are at the extremes of the rad, but one should be 6" in from the end, so it won't mount at the bottom. Haven't even tried to finish fitting it.

What a pile of.... :annoyed:

Jesus-Ninja
26-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Update - I now have it fitted.

The air filter snorkel no longer fits.

The bonnet doesn't close.

Kitty's VR4
26-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh that sux Nick, was it the wrong Radiator supplied or was it just a POS, all the same that sux.................

Jesus-Ninja
26-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Nah - just crap. Should have been in a jig when the lugs were welded, I think they guessed.

That said, I'm persevering, largely 'cos I can't be arsed to fanny around shipping it back. So long as it doesn't leak, and it cools my fluids, it's going in :smash:

Lump hammer sorted the bonnet issue. Snorkel - well, I've been looking for an excuse to route it somewhere better than stock.....

Kitty's VR4
26-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Oh dear.... still truly sux.....

If we see anyone else lining up for one of these POS we'll wave the STOP sign at them.....

Shyte's me no end, when you buy an alleged plug and play part and it fails to deliver...

Louis
26-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Man, that's crap, sounds like they sent the wrong rad??, could it be a rad for an earlier VR4 (the one with the evo 4 cylinder??)

Jesus-Ninja
26-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Man, that's crap, sounds like they sent the wrong rad??, could it be a rad for an earlier VR4 (the one with the evo 4 cylinder??)

Well, maybe, I don't know what those are like. But it's the fact that everything is out by just a few mm, and not consistently either - ie in various directions. The fact that the bosses / lugs that the rad bolts tap into aren't square with the face of the rad is what makes me suspect it's just crappy. You tighten one up, and the rad sits raised at the other corner by a couple of inches.

Oh well, you live an learn. Still, it was the cheapest option, and in the end I made it work, albeit with cable ties and a hammer.