PDA

View Full Version : evoscan knock - anyone got some log files for comparison

kinkyafro
24-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Evening folks,

I've diddling around with evoscan a lot lately (cracking bit of kit for the money incidentally).

Anyway I'm finding I only seem to get knock when pulling away in light driving conditions typically about 25% throttle 1500-2000rpm and an ecuload of 40-60%. certainly not every time and typically a knocksum of 1 or 2 (have seen an 8 once) and was wondering if this was normal.

I am running a tweaked map but have not played with anything below 3000rpm so it's not that. If anyone has some evoscan logs for me to compare against that'd be useful.

Rich.

AlanDITD
24-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Im sure i remember hearing/reading anything under tenwas acceptable...
then again it could have been 20 or 5 i dont know.....there was def a low level thats acceptable though!

kinkyafro
24-03-2010, 12:12 AM
I have 5 in mind but abviously the target is 0 - kinda wondered if it's an artifact of moving to load conditions from closed loop stoich fueling. In which case i'd expect to see it on other cars.

miller
24-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Hmmm ive seen 3 at the most on mine but thats mainly at WOT.

Let me go check some previous logs

Mike

apeman69
24-03-2010, 12:20 AM
I've has similar low knock sums under these conditions:-

Prior to turbo swap
MBC fitted, panel filter - 4000rpm, 30-35% throttle, V-Power, knock sum 12
MBC fitted, panel filter - 6700rpm, full chat, V-Power, knock sum up to 9
MAP-ECU2 and all mods in signature - idling(!), V-Power, knock sum of 1
MAP-ECU2 and all mods in signature - 2500rpm, 30% throttle, V-Power, knock sum of 4

After turbo swap
MAP-ECU2 and all mods - 2200rpm, 35% throttle, 97 RON sh!t, knock sum of 1

I guess what I'm saying is that depending on what you've got in terms of mods, engine condition, fuel, state of tune blah blah then you'll probably get some knock registering with EvoScan. I think I remember someone telling me that it's quite sensitive and will pick up all sorts of 'noise' and that the odd knock sum value of 9 or under is nothing to be seriously concerned about. If it's happening frequently then that's something else!

Turbo_Steve
24-03-2010, 12:26 AM
At that throttle, it'll almost definitely be the vibration of something resonating...probably against the engine!

Phantom Knock...oooOOOOOoooOOOOooooOOOOoo!

apeman69
24-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Here are two logs I found on the memory stick in the car.
Both have knock somewhere.
Hope it is of use but I don't know what mods were done at the time. If they're before July 2009 then it would be MBC. After July 2009 will be MAP2.

Nick Mann
24-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd agree with Steve. Is you car manual or auto? On autos you are most likely to see knock on gear changes, I guess as the car dicks around with the torque loss at the point of shifting. You do also sometimes see knock at suddent lift off from WOT and at WOT through a run, but not often.

My *guess* at those revs and throttle position is that the engine/bellhousing is shifting against the lower cross member due to soggy engine mounts.

Wodjno
24-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I also agree with Steve n Nick. Soft mounts will be allowing the Engine to shift to much on accel and lift, gearchange etc. And they are small values. Get the car on ramps and check the mount on Front Cross member.
And if that 1 needs replacing then they probably all need replacing /yes

Beastlee
24-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Not sure if you can see this but here's one from a while ago that Steve looked over for me.

http://workspace.office.live.com/#leastham/VR4%20Logging/EvoScanDataLog_2010.02.08_17.06.17.csv

I'm going to do some more this week and can post them up for you to see.

kinkyafro
26-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your input gents I've not taken a look yet but having driven around with audio alarms switched on excessive engine movement fits very well - looks like the to-do list is getting another entry.

While theres a few experienced evoscan users here...

Anyone setup a custom guage layout geared towards the vr4? I'm generally using the evo5rsv11 one at the mo but theres a fair few redundant bits on there.

Finally is there a direct linear correlation between injector duty cycle and fuel usage? For example if IDC is 1% at idle and 10% at a steady 70mph does that mean that i'm using 10 times more fuel then idle at 70mph? I was thinking a mpg guage could be created if it works like that.

EDIT:
Or maybe a pence per minute guage :)

Nick Mann
26-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I think there is a latency on the IDC too, plus a voltage change on the fuel pump between idle and WOT? So I would imagine it's not that easy to do an MPG gauge based on that. Although, if the pressure is being controlled and rises linearly with the boost pressure, maybe all the previous ramblings are bolloks. And who wants a real time reminder of how many pounds head for the drain every time you boot it?! :P

Beastlee
26-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Evoscan will do a pseudo mpg reading anyway if you still hav e the speed signal connected. It can guess the power and torque too if you put the right ratios and co-efficients in the setting page.
I must find a way to keep the speed connected but not get restircted to 120mph (I'm in the last place that needs that) so that I can gain the advantages of logging it in Evoscan.

kinkyafro
27-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Evoscan will do a pseudo mpg reading anyway if you still hav e the speed signal connected. It can guess the power and torque too if you put the right ratios and co-efficients in the setting page.
I must find a way to keep the speed connected but not get restircted to 120mph (I'm in the last place that needs that) so that I can gain the advantages of logging it in Evoscan.

Remapped ecu can remove the 180kph restriction mine is currently set to 500kph hadn't considered reconnecting the speed sensing wire until you said that though.

Beastlee
27-03-2010, 10:30 AM
KA, unfortunately that's easier said than done given my current location. I'd love to do a bit of remapping for both the fuel cut and speed limiter.

Turbo_Steve
27-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Lee - won't the EMB clamp the speed signal?

Beastlee
27-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Steve, the EMB only see's the speed as a pulse signal on the additional harness. Don't think I can do much with it as a subsequent output but I'll look at it. I know the Apexi RSM can do it but that's got a completely different function, I wish I'd retained the one from the last car.