PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch track day whos keen?!

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 05:56 AM
I am wanting to organise a track day for us south island club vr4 members.
The track is powerbuilt ruapuna raceway
We have 2 options
1- A twilight track day which runs in so called "after hours" we are at the track at 4pm get all the cars scrutenered and so on, then when the day people finish with the track at 5pm we go on. I think the minimum amount of people is 12 which will make it roughly 25 dollars each for the twilights session.
this will run 5pm-7pm, (perfect for a bit of after work/university stress relief, as long as you keep your car out of the gravel trap) so 2 hours on the track all up.
I have attended a few of these,
- The first, all the drivers were split into 2 groups and the full track was split into two smaller tracks. group A had 30 mins on track A while simultaneously group B had 30 mins on the B track and then they switched. And then for the last hour the full track was opened and each group had 30 mins on the full track
- The second one I attended was run “open pit” style where pit lane was kept open the entire time and the full track was open also. This style means you are free to enter and leave the race track as you wish, at the marshals say so. This means you can go out on the track, and if you don’t feel comfortable for some reason or you have issues with the car such as overheating blah blah you can come park in pit lane until, for example you can let the car cool down, and then when your ready head straight back out again merging into the current “racing”. This is the day I would prefer to run this kind of day cos then you guys can decide when you want to go out and when you want to come in, rathere then spending 30mins aside watching others have fun haha.
-2 A full day 8am-5pm, this will! Have to be held on a weekend day and will cost alot more. I am unsure of the costs but 100 dollars per person or over. But with the full day we can do more stuff like slalom through the cones and so on but these days involve more ****ing around so in all the twilight “open pit” is best track time for money.
So to sum up
WHO IS KEEN AND WHAT KIND OF DAY WOULD YOU LIKE>>>> AND MOST OF ALL WHAT DATE SHOULD WE HOLD IT??
PM me or reply on the thread ASAP so i can emain canterburycarclub and book the track and get definitive prices

what is required for the track.
-W.O.F
-securely fitted fire extinguisher
-cotton overalls
-helmet (ie motorbike helmet or equivilent)

djb160
24-03-2010, 06:09 AM
If this gets off the ground I'll tag along as photographer.

IMO you'll need to arrange this in conjunction with another club as I doubt there's 12 chchVR4 member on here. When's the Motosoc track day?

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 06:38 AM
oh sweet a photographer will be awesome. pics up for the club. yeah I have a few mates who will be keen, a RX7 and maby a supra too but other then thatim hoping for mainly club members and friends of club members. but ill try work out so people who are not part of cvr4 pay the little extra compared to us members

djb160
24-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Ive got a friend with a r33 that might be interested, if it coincides with his work

scott.mohekey
24-03-2010, 06:50 AM
My car isn't really in a track worthy state at the moment. Otherwise I would be as keen as.

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 06:55 AM
yeah well thats why i have not set a date yet. maby depending on how scotts car goes and what would be a good day for your mate with the r33. we can all vote on the date.

Goku
24-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Well, anytime from May 1st is out for me during the week for about 4 months. as that is when we have peak season, so pretty much no leave. Though I might be able to swing a day during mid week.

chx_wagon
24-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Wheels and Heels car club is doing a track day on April 15th. 1pm-5pm. $20.00
http://forum.wheelsandheels.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=1370
Might be a good one to go to, just to see how it all works for private groups. It was good last year when I went. Cant go this year as cant get the time off

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 10:50 AM
well goku thats why its a 4pm afternoon just sweet talk the boss into finishing early on whatever day. and like i said CVR4 people and any mates that are keen are welcome to come along as long as they dont drive like dicks and pay the fee.

and chx_wagon thanks for the info but i have got my mates help who has organised a **** heap of track days on his own so i have all the info i need thru him but thanks anyway, could you make it to an twilight session? more legunums the better :) haha

! SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED! this is a grip day so any friends you have that wish to come make it clear to them that it is NO DRIFTING as that makes it too expensive and the orgainsers cop the flack for any damage to the grass and walls.

taylor
24-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey bro as we talked about definatly keen. I rekon I could get about 4 cars out. Plus mine...

scott.mohekey
24-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Hey bro as we talked about definatly keen. I rekon I could get about 4 cars out. Plus mine...

Is yours going again?

Adam.Findlay
24-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Sweet so so far that is
-Taylor
-Me
-My friend mark
-Taylors 4 mates
-djb160's friend with the R33
thats 8 so far. 4 more and we are away laughing. now we just need people to agree on a date.

Goku
24-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Pre payment would also be a good idea, to secure the track and make sure people turn up.

I vote mid-late April, like the 21st or so.

taylor
24-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Is yours going again?
Can't keep me off the road long Scott. P

scott.mohekey
24-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Can't keep me off the road long Scott. P

Lol, good to hear.. hopefully mine won't take too long either.

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2010, 01:39 AM
yip prepayment was my plan. and mid april sounds good, hopefully scott can get his car fixed by then to make up another vr4 on the track

Goku
25-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Yea.... maybe mine will be running by then........ or not :P

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Yea.... maybe mine will be running by then........ or not :P
your kidding right. isnt your car sittn in the garage with an empty engine bay??

scott.mohekey
25-03-2010, 04:21 AM
your kidding right. isnt your car sittn in the garage with an empty engine bay??

Last I saw..

chchthomo
25-03-2010, 04:50 AM
dont know if my leggie would handle tracking. but count me in, if its only to make up numbers. my friend with 34 gtr could also be a starter . let you know on him.

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2010, 06:17 AM
dont know if my leggie would handle tracking. but count me in, if its only to make up numbers. my friend with 34 gtr could also be a starter . let you know on him.
well no pressure to come if your cars not up to it man but yeah, my aim is to have as many vr4's out as possible, and a 34 gtr would be wicked haha my fav car

chchthomo
25-03-2010, 06:36 AM
jarod has just confirmed he will be there. but dont know wich car. maybe his 700 hp gti pulsar which he uses for hill climbs, or street races.

chx_wagon
25-03-2010, 07:13 AM
LOL sounds like I would be the only girl there!!!!
Oh and if someone is bringin a R34 gtr, i want to have as many pictures with it as possible. That photo of me and gtr on my facebook page would be legendary, definatley a picture for the fridge!

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2010, 09:02 AM
awesome either or. id love to see the gtr but seeing a pulsar fly past us all will be awesome

Goku
25-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Well, we're test fitting the engine this weekend.... hopefully :D

Oh yea, Scott, I need to borrow your engine hoist :D

djb160
25-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Shame he doesn't have the pink hoist transportation device now.

scott.mohekey
25-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Shame he doesn't have the pink hoist transportation device now.

Lol.. yeah. You can borrow the hoist Kayne, but I can't drop it off to you.

Goku
25-03-2010, 08:00 PM
All good, I can get a van :D

scott.mohekey
25-03-2010, 08:12 PM
All good, I can get a van :D

Cool, let me know when you want to pick it up. Do you mind having it at your place for the next couple of weeks while I move?

djb160
25-03-2010, 09:44 PM
If he does I've got room here.

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2010, 11:00 PM
well kayne when do you expect to have your car back up and running. because we could plan to have the track day aroun the timw when your car and scotts car are both going again.

Archie
26-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm keen (with my N/A pulsar) and my mate might be with his 2001 GT legacy.

Battle Royale...

scott.mohekey
26-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm keen (with my N/A pulsar)

Pace car?

Goku
26-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Lol, yea Scott I can hold on to it for a while.

I don't know when it'll be up and running yet Adam

Adam.Findlay
26-03-2010, 07:33 AM
sweet wellthe numbers are there now. just gota decide on a date. and ill email canterbury car club next week

djb160
26-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Adam you might want to edit your first post so it has more details so there's less confusion.

1. A list of who is Attending and whether they're confirmed, payed, unsure etc.
2. A list of what needs to be brought to the track, overalls, helmet, fire extinguisher, etc

Adam.Findlay
26-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Adam you might want to edit your first post so it has more details so there's less confusion.

1. A list of who is Attending and whether they're confirmed, payed, unsure etc.
2. A list of what needs to be brought to the track, overalls, helmet, fire extinguisher, etc
cheers bro have done. i dont know whos attending. so can who every one attending please post and say so, and also say how many of there mates are keen?

taylor
26-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Adam. I thinK at this stage we should list who is interested. And try get numbers of high teens to twenties. Until we can get dates and a rough cost, it'l be hard to get anyone other than me and you to a confirmed stage.

Then I suppose update the main post as people start paying later on.

taylor
26-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I have:

Ash - GSR
Jeremey - r32
Dan - 30det laurel
Tom - turbo starlet
Phil - rs legacy
Charith - A31
Brad - 400hp s13
all at interested stage. Want to know dates and $$

I'm in regardless.

If worse comes to worst I have a few mates with non turbo cars who would be keen to come out for a bash aye.

scott.mohekey
26-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm interested if my car is ready. I have a work mate with a twin turbo gto that is also interested.

Adam.Findlay
27-03-2010, 12:50 AM
sweet well with all this interest we could have enough numbers to do a full day at a reasonable cost? is anyone keen for this??
and i will email cant car club this afternoon about details and get definate prices

djb160
27-03-2010, 06:23 AM
I spoke to Dan today and he's come as long as the date suits, so he needs a fair bit of warning. So thats a 340kwt R33.

I'll ask another friend if he wants to bring his RA.

Archie
27-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Pace car?

Oh yeah!!:beerchug:
How secure does a fire extinguisher have to be? In glovebox/spare tyre well? Can we rent helmets like through motosoc?

chx_wagon
28-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Im still at interested stage. Would need more info and amount $$$

djb160
28-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Another friend is tentatively interested at this point. WRX RA.

Adam.Findlay
28-03-2010, 09:24 AM
ahh fire extinguisher has to be mounted in a solid position and easily reachable from driver seat, my extinguisher is mounted on the left of the centre console horizontally.
will hopefully be getting price list tomorow or this week and ill chat a date over with the cant car club guys. thanks to everyone for all the intrest and help

taylor
28-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Well Im probably not going to be able to make it now lol.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=528369#post528369

Il come out and marshall tho

Adam.Findlay
28-03-2010, 09:54 PM
yeah sucks about you car taylor but if you decide to get that new box you got my help to jam it back in there. we already halfway there to gettn the box out all we need is a engine hoist and to undo the bell housing bolts to drop the box out. + all the little things like engine mounts and so on

Goku
28-03-2010, 10:04 PM
^^ easy then :D

Also if anyone needs fire extinguishers we have them here at my work

Adam.Findlay
28-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Righto I just emailed the track people will post up all information they return ASAP

Adam.Findlay
29-03-2010, 03:05 AM
here is what i got in reply today..

Hi Adam

Thanks for your enquiry.

Twilights opportunities are gone as daylight saving kicks in next weekend.

Hires as follows, Full day full track weekdays 1350 plus clubrooms 100, half day is $800
Weekend days if/when available 1800 plus clubrooms 100

Nothing available in April Weekends at all May Sunday 9 available.

What you need to do is outline what you would like to do [the activity] and how [control/safety] and we will work with you to come up with a match for activity/safety requirements.

A full day is probably too long for road cars unless you have 30 odd cars so would suggest a half day to kick off. Behaviour on any given day will control the future hires for any group

so it looks like a half day is what we are going for IMO

djb160
29-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a $25 entry that means we'd need about 30 odd paying attendees. That's a lot. Going by how these things usually work, if we take how many people say they're keen/attending/etc and remove the "standard" 50% fails-to-turn-up ratio we aren't left with many people.

Even a half day is a lot of track time where I suspect most would only be wanting a couple of hours at most. Unless we piggyback on another large club or open day I honestly can't see this happening now that the evening option is out.

Goku
29-03-2010, 05:23 AM
I dunno Dale, a half day might work out fine for a few people. I mean if we say upped the fee to $50 (Which is still cheaper than the 90-120 most clubs ask) then we'd only need 16 people to get the ball rolling.

chchthomo
29-03-2010, 05:34 AM
i agree $50 for half day sounds resonable. i have 3 confirmed starters.

djb160
29-03-2010, 06:05 AM
So are we semi-officially going with $50 for a half day? Just so I can re-ask people.

Adam.Findlay
29-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a $25 entry that means we'd need about 30 odd paying attendees. That's a lot. Going by how these things usually work, if we take how many people say they're keen/attending/etc and remove the "standard" 50% fails-to-turn-up ratio we aren't left with many people.

Even a half day is a lot of track time where I suspect most would only be wanting a couple of hours at most. Unless we piggyback on another large club or open day I honestly can't see this happening now that the evening option is out.
yip that price was based on the 300 dollar fee of the twilight day. so now that is ruled out we have to up the price.

Adam.Findlay
29-03-2010, 06:29 AM
and yeah 16 would be a great number for a half day maby up to 20 people would be fantastic.

Goku
08-04-2010, 11:50 PM
How are we going on this people ?

Do we have a list ?

Adam.Findlay
09-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Ive been a bit flat out lately with tryn to find a job and sorting out my mates cars and so on but so far the list of definite people is
1) Taylor -club member PFL black galant
2) Adam(me) -club member FL White legnum
3) Mark -Friend white RX-7 series 4
4) Arthur –Friend red mk3 supra
5) A few of Marks friends -Red MKIII supra, another rx-7, and a few other nice cars
The maybe list is
1) CHX_WAGON –registered user
2) Archie – club member
3) Chch tomos friend with either the gtr or pulsar
4) Ash – GSR
5) Jeremey - r32
6) Dan - 30det laurel
7) Tom - turbo starlet
8) Phil - rs legacy
9) Charith - A31cefiro
10) Brad - 400hp s13

Thats enough people to start a good half day or even a full day prices as posted above are
Full day full track weekdays 1350 plus clubrooms 100, half day is $800
With the people we have we can do a half day for roughly 60 dollars per person and full day for around $100, but in saying that if we were to go full day I would prefer to have around 20 people which would make the price around $70.
I am swinging toward the idea of a full day,
But now we need to get a date and marshals/flag wavers, I think we need 4 marshals. Any volunteers 
Weekends are more expensive still but if it is an issue for people to get a day off work i think we may have to. I would aim for a Monday or Friday weekday, i think the track has quite a few free Friday’s so that would be ideal.
FEEDBACK PLEASE>>>>
And taylor alot of the people on this list are your mates so can you get in contact with them and ask if between 70 and 100 dollars is acceptable to them for a full day.

Adam.Findlay
09-04-2010, 05:49 AM
a good date for me will be the 23rd of this month. what do you all think of this

taylor
09-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Ive been a bit flat out lately with tryn to find a job and sorting out my mates cars and so on but so far the list of definite people is
1) Taylor -club member PFL black galant
2) Adam(me) -club member FL White legnum
3) Mark -Friend white RX-7 series 4
4) Arthur –Friend red mk3 supra
5) A few of Marks friends -Red MKIII supra, another rx-7, and a few other nice cars
The maybe list is
1) CHX_WAGON –registered user
2) Archie – club member
3) Chch tomos friend with either the gtr or pulsar
4) Ash – GSR
5) Jeremey - r32
6) Dan - 30det laurel
7) Tom - turbo starlet
8) Phil - rs legacy
9) Charith - A31cefiro
10) Brad - 400hp s13

Thats enough people to start a good half day or even a full day prices as posted above are
Full day full track weekdays 1350 plus clubrooms 100, half day is $800
With the people we have we can do a half day for roughly 60 dollars per person and full day for around $100, but in saying that if we were to go full day I would prefer to have around 20 people which would make the price around $70.
I am swinging toward the idea of a full day,
But now we need to get a date and marshals/flag wavers, I think we need 4 marshals. Any volunteers 
Weekends are more expensive still but if it is an issue for people to get a day off work i think we may have to. I would aim for a Monday or Friday weekday, i think the track has quite a few free Friday’s so that would be ideal.
FEEDBACK PLEASE>>>>
And taylor alot of the people on this list are your mates so can you get in contact with them and ask if between 70 and 100 dollars is acceptable to them for a full day.

10 - written off. It was gonna happen, probably a good thing not on the track haha
9 - sold
5 + 6 Hopefully will have their cars running by the track day. Were supposed to be running like two weeks ago now so who knows.

Il talk to the others and see if their available

taylor
09-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh and adam. Im probably only keen on a half day. with my problems lately dont wanna brake anything and the cost of fuel....

Adam.Findlay
10-04-2010, 02:40 AM
yip well if we get enough people to do a full day and we run it open pit you can enter and leave the track as you please so you can spend as much or little time on the track as you want

Adam.Findlay
10-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Hello Adam

12, 17, 20, 24 of May is all we have available during the week, nothing in April.

I am not comfortable that you have the people available and experienced enough to run this day and so would insist that we have someone controlling the day for you. This is much more than just having the track available for cars to go round and round. As Motorsoc found out open pit does not mean people will come in when their brakes have gone. What they had happen last time out could have ended very badly and I can not afford to have any day end badly because people insist on going as fast as they can for as long as they can.

You need to control all aspects of the day. Too much can go wrong. We will run your day for you and will provide the brief, the programme, the control and will show you what the expectations are. This will cost an extra $400 to the 1350 track hire for a week day. You must gather the money before the day and be able to pay the cost so really it is a hundy each for a full day or say 60 for a half day....if there are more than 20 you can reduce the cost, if less the cost increases.

Or you can join others who are experienced at running track days and pay their cost. I can put you in touch with these people if you like.

Let me know what you want to do and when and go from there.

djb160
11-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Still think going in on another clubs day would be the smarter choice. I'll volunteer for marshaling/flag waving etc as long as I'm told what's involved.

Adam.Findlay
11-04-2010, 02:04 AM
yeah but what other clubs day could we attend, I dont know of any so thats why i am trying to organise our own day

taylor
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
1/2 1/2 day with the d1nz/drift south boys??

djb160
12-04-2010, 06:40 AM
So do they get one 1/2 of the day and CVR4 the other half?

taylor
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
yea id imagine so

Adam.Findlay
13-04-2010, 03:48 AM
well let me know guys and ill try get it sorted

Archie
04-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Are you chch guys goin to the motosoc one?

Adam.Findlay
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I am dude. sunday right??
I am friends with ben foote so i will talk to him about helping me organise the club vr4 day.
are you part of motosoc archie?? good to see another vr4 out there

Goku
11-05-2010, 02:50 AM
When I get back from Hong Kong, we'll have a meet up and discuss our options a bit more, how does that sound ?

scott.mohekey
11-05-2010, 02:56 AM
When do you get back?

Adam.Findlay
11-05-2010, 03:44 AM
yip a group face to face to discuss a plan will be good

djb160
11-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Kaynes back on Sunday sometime

Goku
13-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I get into Auckland at 6am, then fly out again at 10am to CHCH, I'll be home about 2ish.

I probably won't make it to the workshop day the following weekend, as there are things I have to sort out when I get home. How does the weekend after sound to everyone for a meet up ?

djb160
14-05-2010, 03:01 AM
mexican and movie evening? Burritos and nachos etc. Oh and your Mantis died sometime yesterday bro, Sorry Janelle. Cats and fish seem okay though