PDA

View Full Version : What would you do to improve F1 ?

SGHOM
24-03-2010, 02:23 PM
??

And stop it becoming a proccession each race? It seems to be heading that way! :stars:
Bear in mind that we cannot alter the FIA rules at the moment.... Kers is banned, so is re fuelling etc.
I would suggest that some of the slower cars pretend they are in a race, & stop pulling over to let others past! I'm not suggesting they block the lead cars.... Just hold their line & make them work for it!

Any other thoughts before I turn the TV off after lap 1 ?

Nick Mann
24-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year won't be so bad. Last year was more interesting than previous years and I had hoped this year wouldbe better!

IMO there needs to be a LOT less dirty air behind the car - that way cars have a chance of slip streaming down the straight. I'd like to see them carry on the rule changes in the aerodynamics that looked to be helping that last year.

Davezj
24-03-2010, 02:42 PM
it does seem it is a case of qualifying is key to this season.
Having a more economical car is a massive plus point.
Allows you to run lighter fuel loads and out qualify your rivals with effectively a slower car, it is just lighter (the lotus way). what is the rule of thumb, every 1Kg of fuel is worth a 0.1 sec a lap or is it 10Kg worth 0.1Sec a lap. anyway as the race progresses you are going to get further and further in the lead if you are a 0.1 sec per lap quicker, the opposition is not going to get closer to you as the race progresses as you are getting lighter and lighter at the same rate. well no that is not quite true the advantage will decrease slightly as the race goes on but by that point you will be miles ahead.

as to the question how to make it more competative, ..........

you could get rid of qualifying after the first race and just reverse the finish positions for the start of the next race. but that is not money making enough for our friend Burny!

miller
24-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I think they should slash the amount of laps and run it over three seperate races per day just like in Touring Cars.

ie second race is a reverse formation of grid setout.

Now thats great fun watching the inform boys making up spaces all the way from the back!

Make it interesting too for the lesser teams aswell

elnevio
24-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Firstly, KERS is still in the regulations, and can be used. Just that all the teams agreed not to use it this season. Although, the new teams didn't agree to that! /Hmmm

I think Mike's idea is great! :thumbsup:

I've also thought along Derek's line before - they should abandon the use of blue flags, and back markers shouldn't have to move out of the way.

Spirit
24-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I disagree with the removal of the back marker regulations purely from a safety point of view. With the speeds these cars are doing, and the costs involved to replace broken parts, I think it's right a slow back marker should move out the way.

Totally agree with Nick that the aerodynamics need to be changed to allow proper slip streaming so cars can overtake like they used to years ago.

How about bringing turbos back ?

elnevio
24-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Well, it's not like the back markers are stationary! And they normally don't have problems crashing into them as it is! But just think - team tactics could play a part here, say, if a 2nd car is out of the points, but still running, could get lapped by the number 1 car, and then do his best to hold up rival teams. I think it would be entertaining!

Anyway, I believe that the aero rules are changing again for 2011, hopefully with less turbulence / more slipstreaming being the achieved result. /yes

As for turbos - how can bringing them back be even remotely wrong! Yes, yes, yes - bring it on!

Plus, if they reduced the engine capacity again (I think the 1980s' turbo ones were 1500cc?), then this would probably have an effect on reliability. And I think that reliability (or lack thereof, rather!) should be a more integral part of what transpires in a race.

miller
24-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Maybe just give them all free reign to design or race whatever they want! Now that would see some innovating machines!

Nick Mann
24-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I like the idea, Mike, but I think it would have to be a new formula rather than a development of F1. It would be fascinating to see what people came up with!

chris g
24-03-2010, 05:19 PM
No wings at all

Greater ground clearance

Manual gearbox and clutch

Tyres as used in 60's before large sticky rubber

Shoot Bernie Ecclestone!

elnevio
24-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Leave the collapsed tunnel at Spa - F1 needs more jumps! :D /rally

AlanDITD
24-03-2010, 05:23 PM
They should all be armed with guns and rocket launchers imo. No Slip streaming as missle lock would be to easy....

No steering wheels, only PS3 controllers..and people pouring random oil slicks on the track.

even id watch it then.

miller
24-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Not guns and rockets but maybe banana skins and mushrooms!

AlanDITD
24-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah lighting strikes, star power and boost.....

You gotta have rockets though....watching alonso splattered all over the track, priceless.

Oh and i think LSD would be useful....

Ghost_2008
24-03-2010, 07:13 PM
So shrooms, LSD and guns..... it sound like a party!!!/Hyper /Hyper

But in all seriousness, what about a points system and a list of legal options. So you have a lot more variables.

For example: Turbos, Nitrous systems, Kers, variable diffusors/wings, options in airodynamics, etc etc

Each option comes with a price tag so a each team has a limit.

I'm sure you get the idea...

elnevio
24-03-2010, 07:15 PM
So, like Fantasy F1, but with real F1 cars and stuff! :rolleyes4

AlanDITD
24-03-2010, 07:44 PM
But in all seriousness,

you failed at this point! :D

Turbo_Steve
24-03-2010, 08:04 PM
How about making them all race their production cars! :D :D

Not too bad for Ferrari and McLaren, but a bit of a bugger for team-brawn, I suppose.

Ghost_2008
24-03-2010, 08:26 PM
you failed at this point! :D

Cheers Alan.........:jester:

Well they need to do something because it going down the pan :toilet:

My point is the more variation in the cars the more exciting it would be, especially if they could vary the car from race to race to a larger degree than they do now..... though thats probably a funding restraint than anything else....

martin_y
25-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I dont have the answer, except there is some REAL racing starting on the 11 April.

Moto GP !!

psbarham
25-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I dont have the answer, except there is some REAL racing starting on the 11 April.

Moto GP !!

oh yes, about time too, proper racers with balls of steel.

WildCards
25-03-2010, 08:38 AM
They should bring back in race fuelling. Watching a driver fight to keep his position after refuelling against the lighter cars was always something I enjoyed and promoted alot of overtaking attempts in the past, H&S gone bonkers again I fear.

Remove the tyre limitations, allow teams to race on whatever tyres they want and use how ever many sets in a season/race as they want.

Allow proper team tactics, lessen the dependancy for clean air and widen the points structure even further.

Humpty's Revenge
25-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Easy solution, start refueling again and get the drivers to change teams every time they race, theres enough cars to go around for all the season.

Or hunt down Max Mosley in a pace car or something giving him a head start of around 2 seconds.

At the moment F1 is the most boring motorsport I have ever had the pleasure of watching for a couple of hours!/STP :soapbox:

chris g
25-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Get them to race on 'proper' tracks...

Gey rid of boring sanitised 'flat for global tv coverage' and Bernie gets the money circuits...

Shoot the old git...

peter thomson
25-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Get them to race on 'proper' tracks...

Gey rid of boring sanitised 'flat for global tv coverage' and Bernie gets the money circuits...

Shoot the old git...

I think you got this one in the wrong thread Chris

SGHOM
25-03-2010, 12:31 PM
What about going the A1 route & having a power button for overtaking ?
An extra 80 bhp to be used a maximum of say, 8 times per race ? /toycar

chris g
25-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I think you got this one in the wrong thread Chris

Not clear why it's the wrong thread

Another suggestion to improve F1...

More serious than fantasy...

Well apart from shooting Bernie...

miller
25-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Simple, its never going to get exciting anymore as too may rules and regs spoil what should be the greatest spectacle of racing on the planet.
A1 GP tries to level the playing field but it doesnt get the coverage it deserves. Plus im not totally convinced on A1 GP

BTCC and WTCC for proper racing, proper motorsport each and every time.

Simples

elnevio
25-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Yep, chuck em all in touring cars!

As for A1 GP - that was disbanded a couple of seasons ago now!

miller
25-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Yep, chuck em all in touring cars!

As for A1 GP - that was disbanded a couple of seasons ago now!

Couple?!

Last season! Hmmm British and Dubai Organisers....when they not winning they take their ball home /STP /STP /STP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Grand_Prix

Worthy winners last season! :curtain:

elnevio
25-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I stand corrected! /notworthy

Although it does demonstrate the lack of visibility for the A1 GP!

miller
25-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I stand corrected! /notworthy

Although it does demonstrate the lack of visibility for the A1 GP!

Whilst your being stood corrected please feel free to accept a couple of these gracefully

/pan /pan

:2thumbsup its not everyday i get to pan a mod

peter thomson
25-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Not clear why it's the wrong thread

Another suggestion to improve F1...

More serious than fantasy...

Well apart from shooting Bernie...

oops no it's me that's in the wrong thread, and I agree with the Brenie comment

miller
25-03-2010, 01:58 PM
oops no it's me that's in the wrong thread, and I agree with the Brenie comment

It was orginally in a different thread but a moderator has split it and added it onto this thread Peter! So you were right in the first place :karate:

chris g
25-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I started to wonder if I had posted in wrong thread earlier this morning as I used back button and was in a thread that should not have had a post...

Had looked through a few quickly this morning and posted 'quick reply' but too quick to get it in right thread...

Shoot me as well as Bernie, both getting too old for the modern world...

elnevio
25-03-2010, 03:09 PM
It was orginally in a different thread but a moderator has split it and added it onto this thread Peter! So you were right in the first place :karate:
I checked the mod log and I couldn't see it as ever being moved! Odd...

Mike - fear my shiny banstick! :evil3:

No wait - I'll save it for Bernie...

peter thomson
25-03-2010, 03:44 PM

I was sure I hadn't made a mistake. very strange

miller
25-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Peter,

Seems we have really great mods these days! lol

ERR wassup here? NUTTER!

Turbo_Steve
25-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Ahhhh! Guilty as charged! Sorry for the confusion.

I went to move this earlier today, and got a "Request timed out" message, (stupid work proxy) and figured it had failed and got distracted by someone having a hand-flapping, sky-falling moment.

I await my panning with good grace.

[/stands to attention]

elnevio
25-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I wondered where my Red button had gone!