PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug removal can get worse!!

Archie
25-03-2010, 03:08 AM
I just bought a little pulsar with an SR18 for a runaround hack. It was missing a bit, I'm pretty sure it was because there was water in the spark plug well (they're pretty deep and I just washed the motor). Took them out, got rid of the water, and put it back.

But THEN, on tightening the plug up, the little rubber grommet inside the spark plug spanner came out and is now stuck around the plug, way down in this well. It's a **** of a situation.

I've tried a knife to cut it and digging it out with a coathanger/screwdriver. Anyone got any other ideas?

Gly
25-03-2010, 03:12 AM
blue tack or tape on a stick

scott.mohekey
25-03-2010, 03:18 AM
A very large drill bit? /pan

Ryan
25-03-2010, 03:35 AM
I have a spark plug with the same annoying "feature". I remove the rubber thing from the plug spanner when reinserting the plugs and only use it to take plugs out.

Perhaps remove the plug - get the grommet off and then put it back would be my suggestion.

elnevio
25-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a spark plug with the same annoying "feature". I remove the rubber thing from the plug spanner when reinserting the plugs and only use it to take plugs out.

Perhaps remove the plug - get the grommet off and then put it back would be my suggestion.
:iagree:

The grommet is only completely necessary to assist in getting the plug out, not when it goes back in!

Turbo_Steve
25-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Thirded. Plug out, Grommet off, plug back in. Easy money.

Archie
26-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Nah, thats not the issue. The spark plug is in there, wound tight, with the rubber grommet out of the socket squashed down around it.

So I can't get the spark plug out! The rubber stops the socket getting a hold of anything.

Blue tack and duct tape weren't strong enough to pull it, it's wedged in there pretty firmly. Wish I knew something that would dissolve the rubber. Maybe a soldering iron to melt it a bit? Would petrol dissolve it & not hurt the block?

Johnny_Cashed
26-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Could you superglue a screw to the end of a long screwdriver and use that to bite into the gasket? Then find something to pull the screw out with? Might be a stupid idea but...

elnevio
26-03-2010, 01:01 AM
The rubber grommet should force itself back into the socket if you push it in hard enough and keep wiggling it until the socket is over the hex part of the plug where it should be. I have had this happen to me too.

Archie
26-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Nev, you're a legend! That worked! I've mangled my spark plug, but I got it out at least. Cheers CVR4 :)

Now to find the source of this misfire... Its only under load. That means gas going wrong right?

Archie
26-03-2010, 03:22 AM
No worries I think its sorted! God knows what it was, but hey!

scott.mohekey
26-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Im guessing it was misfiring due to the broken spark plug and the rubber jammed in there? /pan

... I know I know.. not funny.

elnevio
26-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Good stuff! :rabbit:

Turbo_Steve
26-03-2010, 08:45 AM
That means gas going wrong right

Almost definitely not - usually means it's time for new plugs!

Glad it's all sorted for you, dude.