PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

Kelly&Ben
26-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Apparantley 90% of people who are not on the organ donation register would accept a transplant if they needed it. I think its pretty shocking and to be honest i would have fallen in that 90% up until today when i took the 3mins out to sign up on the register online.

Just wondered everyone elses views on this? As its quite interesting to know what people think of it etc

Kelly

Roberto
26-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I've allways told my family, if there is anything of use left after I go, anyone's welcome to what they need.

WildCards
26-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I've allways told my family, if there is anything of use left after I go, anyone's welcome to what they need.

Same here.

I used to carry a card all the time but looking in my wallet I don't appear to have one, I'm fairly certain I have signed up to the register in the past though, either way, if anyone is fool enough to want anything of mine they're welcome to it! :p

I-S
26-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I am on the register for organ donation, and do have a card somewhere.

Strangely, I CAN donate organs but not blood.

Lillywotsername
26-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I am on the register but I am still not 100% sure I can donate.... I know that blood is a big "No No" for me to donate

WildCards
26-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Strangely, I CAN donate organs but not blood.

What's that all about?

Nutter_John
26-03-2010, 12:25 PM
There are rules around groups of people of who can donate blood , if you are in one of these groups then you are not aloud to donate blood

miller
26-03-2010, 01:26 PM
yes, i cant donate blood here as ive donated in Ireland in the past, and its same vice versa, weird huh and like they say im sure if they wanted my battered and bruised organs they would take no questions asked!

Nutter_John
26-03-2010, 01:30 PM
IIRC one of the rules is that you can not give blood if you have recieved any blood product in the 1980's

Quote ->
You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980. <-

Ghost_2008
26-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I dont donate blood as I have a completely irrational fear of needles...... however I had a few operations in the mid 80's, so does that mean I can not donate???

Davezj
26-03-2010, 02:39 PM
sound like it.

you should check before your next donation.

miller
26-03-2010, 03:20 PM
They can have my piano anytime!

Kelly&Ben
26-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Glad to see some nice results on the poll here. Put this on another car club and i was quite saddened at how over 50% of replies would take an organ if needed on but are not willing to donate theirs.

I know religious reasons can sometimes come into play too.

Ghost_2008
26-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I would donate, so I will now register online, would anyone want my organs (THC free of charge) though?

I honestly dont know if I would want to accept a organ? I probably would in all cases bar the heart....... more on science than religious reasons........ Apparently the heart has brain cells and actually sends more information to the brain than it recieves, therefore there is every possibilty that it would have an impact on who you are....... we have all heard stories of people taste changing post heart transplant........

djb160
26-03-2010, 07:49 PM
It'd part of our drivers licenses over here, you just tick a box saying you're willing to donate organs. I just figure what the hell, I wont be needing them where I'm going and I don't have any religious or spiritual observances.

Donating blood over here is easy compared to your mad cow infested country, I try to donate every 3 months as I believe it to be a central civic duty akin to taxes.

aboo
26-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I used to carry a card but havent since I had my wallet stolen a few years ago.

My family know that I would donate my orgines if there any good to anyone after the years of abuse they have had & I keep meening to register online. I will have to get round to it this weekend.

Ryan
26-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Much the same here with me Dale. I'm also a regular blood donor (A+ ftw) and my organs are up for grabs should I no longer need them.

My reasons? Where I come from the national blood supply availability is ZERO on some days (I have two friends who are doctors at Baragwanath Hospital) and so I donate out of principle, it only costs me 30 minutes of my time and it's not like I have to do anything except just lie there and bleed :)

Pretty much the least I can do to help up to three people, so why not I thought?

As for organs - well, if they're able to be used why let them go to waste when they could improve someone else's quality of life?

I never know, one day I might need either of the above...

Kieran
26-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I used to carry a card - I signed up when I was about 14. Then I had an about turn on the subject for a couple of years... For reasons that I now cannot remember... Nothing rational I suspect. As far as I know, I'm still on the register and these days I would be happy to donate. The NHS needs good pureblood stock I hear. :D

I think what galvanized my thoughts was my experience with my mother. Although her death was not for want of an organ donation, if I can donate an organ after my own death that means that someone else doesn't have to go through that nightmare unexpectedly, then so much the better.

Nick Mann
26-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I also am sure that I have signed up in the past. I think it was when I used to give blood. However, every time I have tried to give blood in the last few years they have turned me away! (Been to Canada, had Root Canal Surgery, been in contact with someone who had Glandular Fever, etc...)

As I couldn't find proof that I am on the register, I have signed up again. Doesn't hurt to sign up twice, I guess. It takes less than 60 seconds to do it online.

Johnny_Cashed
27-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Glad to see some nice results on the poll here. Put this on another car club and i was quite saddened at how over 50% of replies would take an organ if needed on but are not willing to donate theirs.

I know religious reasons can sometimes come into play too.

Would I donate organs? Hmmmm, I'm unsure. I'm not on the register and I would be concerned about doctors wanting to get organs for transplant so they could get experience/conduct complex operations. No real reason for thinking this I suppose, but it still concerns me - Alder Hey perhaps? Again I feel there's something not right about breathing cadavers.

What I dislike is the proposals that people should automatically be on the register and have to opt out if they didn't want to donate organs. If it's so simple to register and you can do it online, what is stopping people from registering? If there are few barriers to register, then why is it necessary to assume consent? So if I have my religion down as Jehova's Witness, or Jewish, then they'll assume I didn't want to donate, but if I'm atheist my body is fair game?

I also don't agree with the assertion that people who do not wish to donate their organs are terrible if they would accept one to save their life. I'm not brave enough to be a soldier, but I'm glad there are people that are to serve and protect the rest of us. Does that make me hypocritical?

Wobble
27-03-2010, 09:34 AM
this thread has made me think . will be registering online now . what need have i for my organs if i were to die .
would like to think that if a family member of mine would need an organ that they woud be available for them.
fair enough i will be dead but i might save the life of some little boys dad

Kieran
27-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Stuff

Mmmm, you articulated what I wasn't able to there; although I still would donate - These are concerns that I share.

miller
27-03-2010, 10:39 AM
How many cars are kept going on here due to breakers or donor cars!

Simples!

djb160
28-03-2010, 10:38 AM
this thread has made me think . will be registering online now . what need have i for my organs if i were to die .
would like to think that if a family member of mine would need an organ that they woud be available for them.
fair enough i will be dead but i might save the life of some little boys dad

If this thread makes you want to go out and sign up for donation and you can prove you've done so then I reckon not only well done sir to you but the OP should IMO get some major rep points for having actually made a positive contribution to the world.

Kelly&Ben
30-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Sorry only had just to view this thread again now ive been away.

I feel very happy that some of you have registered and that the thread/poll made you think. How nice :)

IMO i think it would be good to have the system where ppl are automatically on the register and have to opt out. Purely so there isnt so many cases of "i would do it if i got round to it" little do we know that such haste means people are dying who could have been saved. And anyone who felt strongly enough to want to opt out then would do (for whatever reason that may be, personal or religious). But thats just my opinion.

I did this poll on another forum, quite saddened to see the results for ppl not on register but willing to take an organ was 72% and followed by comments like "id take an organ but im not donating mine" quite sickening.
Someone suggested the thought of not being able to have an organ unless you were registered but the system would never be so harsh.

Made an interesting read thanks all :)

Kelly