PDA

View Full Version : stumped

lovecorners
27-03-2010, 01:01 AM
hey guys been lurking in the shadows for a year or so now have a few questions.
in the process of replacing rear diff for second time (paddock abuse) have a 97 manual legnum vr4 and have purchased a 2000 legnum ayc diff but the shaft from c.v to ayc side of the diff wont fit into new diff seems to have 1 less tooth this is the shaft originally on car.
If when garage mitsi wellington replaced diff for the first time and used an evo diff(?????) would this cause the difference?? have done heaps of research and everything i've read said all should be compatible. I don't think the existing diff is an evo because was no spacers on rear mounts. Will compare crown and pinion when have opportunity.
Its a pain in the arse spent till eleven last night under car on driveway with mate who's a mechanic and he couldn't figure it out our only other option is to swap bearing out of the old knackered diff into the new but don't really want to pull it all apart.
So its a bit long winded but anybody got any ideas?? Will be having another crack at it tomorrow so any help would be awesome

p.s ill try post some photos off the diff casing just bout cracked in half the whole way round and pinion almost totally stripped

Wodjno
27-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi and Welcone to the Club.. /yes

That is strange ?

1st.. The mounting Lugs on the EVO Diff are 10mm thicker than ones on VR4(reason for spacers) So should be able to tell if EVO diff fitted before.

2nd.. If EVO diff or VR4 fitted before, driveshaft splines should be the same and should fit this time also.

3rd.. Is it possible that previous owner of Diff had CV joint failure? Instead of replacing with OE 1. Have used another inner shaft from some other car and replaced bearing also in AYC diff.
I know it's a bit Fantasy land /Hmmm But u never know.. /help

Cheers

Wodj

lovecorners
27-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Yea that's why im confused im first nz owner and blew the diff not long after purchase, took to mitsi in Wellington which was a big mistake, them being rather clueless about these cars. Would be surprised if they'd used non oem parts with them being mitsi dealers.

So as far as anyone knows the evo and vr4 splines should be compatible??? looks like we'll be stripping both diffs tomorrow then and making one out of the two. Will post photos, have made a pretty impressive mess considering car is standard and I don't launch as a rule.

Cheers for the ideas wodj

Wodjno
27-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Would be surprised if they'd used non oem parts with them being mitsi dealers.

3rd.. Is it possible that previous owner of Diff had CV joint failure? Instead of replacing with OE 1. Have used another inner shaft from some other car and replaced bearing also in AYC diff.

I mean't the Diff u have to replace your busted 1 ? Where did it come from ? Do you know it's history ? It could have diferent bearing in the Diff..

lovecorners
27-03-2010, 12:00 PM
According to mechanic it is from a 2000 legnum vr4 with 105,000 ks on it so was well chuffed for the $500 it cost, new diff looks absolutely mint in and out so think the original replacement has to be the issue was 18 months ago now so cant chase it up. Was done under warranty so they probably did the cheapest fix they could, definatly wasn't the quickest because it took them three and a half weeks

lovecorners
27-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Heres a couple of photos if ive figured out the uploader correctly, reasonably computer illiterate. Will post more once diff is stripped........

lovecorners
27-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Well spoken to mechanic i bought new diff off. Hes going to send propshaft down so hopefully on the road by wednesday pity cars been off the road for three weeks now and getting sick of ****-box hondas haha.

Though it gives me a chance to do cambelt now i suppose so all good in that regard

bradc
28-03-2010, 04:01 AM
It should fit straight in, I'd guess that your dead diff has something non-oem in it.

lovecorners
28-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Cheers man just spoke to guy in taraunga that i bought it from and the new diff has a 31 tooth spline whereas typically our diffs have 30 teeth. Seems strange so I'm quite curious now why its different. Hes sending shaft monday so will be able to compare tuesday. Hope that the fact its different is a good thing but at least i'll be back on the road tuesday
Has anyone here bothered tapping in and fitting 12mm bolts as i've read in a few posts?? If so was it worth it?? Cheers