PDA

View Full Version : I think I've done one here.

taylor
28-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Got a hold of a Gtech timer last night. Had a nice stretch of road and was having a ball.

Until I decided to dial it up and launch it a few times.

On a launch it made a horrible noise and pretty much went no where. And from that point on it continued to go no where.

In gear it would not so much as move a mm.

Got it home this morning and dropped the transfer case off.

Output shaft of the gearbox is munched. Twisted and cracked.

But if I start the car and put it in gear, the shaft moves, however you cannot turn it by hand. Witch i assume you should.

So is it safe to say that the center diff is munched?

Fixable or should I just replace?

Fluid that came out of the transfer case was like new. and we had it apart. no visible signs of failure. But the munted output shaft of the gearbox has caused a wee bit of the splined teeth to break off.

Im hoping someone has had a similar experince or someone with extensive knowledge can shed some light.

Beastlee
28-03-2010, 09:54 AM
If I remember correctly this is a common issue even on the V6. I'm sure someone will verify but I'm sure that it's just the splined shaft you will have broken.

Kieran
28-03-2010, 12:41 PM
If I remember correctly this is a common issue even on the V6. I'm sure someone will verify but I'm sure that it's just the splined shaft you will have broken.

It's the Torque converter/input shaft splines that shear on the V6, but you're right in that stripped output shafts have been known to go bang on the VR-4.

Nick posted up his tale here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12148&page=2

Nick Mann
28-03-2010, 12:52 PM
My output shaft sheared right through. :afro:

It could be the diff in the box, it could be the output shaft. You'll need to drop the box to find out. That whole assembly is easy to change with the casing apart - you may be able to get that assembly from a knackered box and swap it in. Cheap to get you back on the road if you do the work yourself.

Adam.Findlay
28-03-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah well i helped taylor take the tx case out. to further explain what he described.
Where the gearbox "plugs into" to tx case there are 2 hollow shafts, one inside the other, the inner shaft, when turned (when not broken) clockwise should spin the spider gears in the center diff in the gearbox and the outer shaft should, in turn, rotate counter clockwise. but in taylors case. neither of these shafts can be turned by hand, I had the polygrips on the inner shaft and when i turned it clockwise, the outer shaft turned clockwise also, all be it with considerable effort to do so. the transfer case looked fine on the inside, clean oil and no metal shards on the insde. but the splines on the inner socket where the inner shaft connects to has broken a few teeth off, which in my understanding means the entrie tx case if shagged except the casing and crown wheel as the VC and front diff are all together as one unit in the tx case.
so we went to see my mate mark who has had alot of experience with vr4's and he thinks that if the two shafts output shafts are seized together there is a more then likely probability that the centre diff in the gearbox is fooked too. Taylor and i ran the car through the gears with thr tx case off and the two output shafts turned by power of the engine but when the tx case was on and the drive shafts in the car would not move. so this has us puzzled. is the tx case stuffed and he just needs new tx case and out put shafts or is the centre diff in the gearbox poked meaning he should replace gearbox and tx case alltogether. keepng in mind we can get out hands on a manual box and tx case with ease, just a matter of money.
thanks in advance for any opinions offered. espically from the likes of nick mann who has done in a output shaft.
PS: taylors output shaft is bent and cracked not completly sheered like nickmanns

Nick Mann
28-03-2010, 10:00 PM
The diff in the gearbox is completey open, so those shafts should turn individually by hand, as you suggested.

I can't comment much on the transfer box, I haven't ripped one apart yet.

Adam.Findlay
28-03-2010, 10:32 PM
yip i know its open cos on the spare box we have on hand they spin individually but is there a way to extract the shafts without splitting the box open?? because i think the inner shaft has just twisted and bound itself to the inside of the outer shaft therefore locking the two shafts together. so hopefully taylor just needs new shafts and a new tx case

taylor
29-03-2010, 12:40 PM
yeah well i helped taylor take the tx case out. to further explain what he described.
Where the gearbox "plugs into" to tx case there are 2 hollow shafts, one inside the other, the inner shaft, when turned (when not broken) clockwise should spin the spider gears in the center diff in the gearbox and the outer shaft should, in turn, rotate counter clockwise. but in taylors case. neither of these shafts can be turned by hand, I had the polygrips on the inner shaft and when i turned it clockwise, the outer shaft turned clockwise also, all be it with considerable effort to do so. the transfer case looked fine on the inside, clean oil and no metal shards on the insde. but the splines on the inner socket where the inner shaft connects to has broken a few teeth off, which in my understanding means the entrie tx case if shagged except the casing and crown wheel as the VC and front diff are all together as one unit in the tx case.
so we went to see my mate mark who has had alot of experience with vr4's and he thinks that if the two shafts output shafts are seized together there is a more then likely probability that the centre diff in the gearbox is fooked too. Taylor and i ran the car through the gears with thr tx case off and the two output shafts turned by power of the engine but when the tx case was on and the drive shafts in the car would not move. so this has us puzzled. is the tx case stuffed and he just needs new tx case and out put shafts or is the centre diff in the gearbox poked meaning he should replace gearbox and tx case alltogether. keepng in mind we can get out hands on a manual box and tx case with ease, just a matter of money.
thanks in advance for any opinions offered. espically from the likes of nick mann who has done in a output shaft.
PS: taylors output shaft is bent and cracked not completly sheered like nickmanns

^what he said^

Got the box out today and pulled the bellhousing off. As nick said it was very easy to remove. I did not have a chance to have a good look at it, but can anyone give me some advice on where to go from here...

how do you get the shafts out.
is the unit the same as from auto?
does anyone know of anyone parting a box or have suggestions on who to ring?
anything i should be checking while I have the box apart?My main question is:

yes the shafts are poked, but they still are in tact and were connected to the transfer case, so why wont the car move in gear, is it a poked xfer case or poked centre diff??
Can either be be pulled apart very easily??Thanks for any input you guys have. Where is the ever so knowledgable Bradc when you need him????/help

Adam.Findlay
29-03-2010, 09:33 PM
center looks fine aye taylor (except the shagged shafts)
ahh maby your center is ****ed. hard to tell cos its a sealed unit inside the casing as we saw when we took it apart.
i remember hearing something about evos breaking the spidergears in the front diff because of wheel hop on launching. did you get wheel hop? and if the front diff is fooked then all the power could be slipping through the VC and not making it to the back, (due to your little incident when the rear diff was out)
just a thought but until we can figure out how to analise the tx case its hard to know