PDA

View Full Version : New Member with questions

Darren
17-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Hello folks, I've been a lurker here for a little while since I only own a Galant GLS. I like to ask if someone could explain the 2 avenues of obtaining VR4's in the UK. My insurance company said that they don't do imports, I had always thought that the VR4 was a rare but official UK import until I read these forums.
So what's the score and is there a big price difference as to non-official vs official ?
What's the diff between the type S and the type R ?

Also is there anyone who knows a good replacement for my front discs INSERT INTO post VALUES (8g gls 2.0l) as Scotland keeps warping the standard ones I've got :p

AntonyBaker
17-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi

I bought my import galant estate vr4 INSERT INTO post VALUES ( known as a Legnum in Japan ) from a dealer in Newcastle. He gave me a great part ex price on my old FTO INSERT INTO post VALUES ( way above what i would have got had i sold private ) and his after sales service was excellent. he sent me pictures of the car while it was held in continment in Japan with no pressure to do the deal until I had a chance to walk around the car and test drive etc. Had I not liked the car there would have been no problem for me to walk away. anyway, I drove all the way up to Newcastle from London INSERT INTO post VALUES ( worth every single mile ) and drove back in the VR4. Since then he has only been too happy to answer questions on the phone. he also liased with the finance company and between them took away a lot of the potential hassle involved.

A great service all round.

I'll post his details to you as soon as I can find them, i cant lay my hands on them right now.

By the way, http://www.Elephant.co.uk will insure the Vr4, I have found that they are just about the cheapest for me.

Good luck with the car hunting.

Ant

Spirit
17-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Darren

Loads of companies will insure imported VR-4's e.g. Direct Line, Tesco's, Adrian Flux etc. There is no real issue with them nowadays as imports are so popular.

The two versions are Type S and Type V - for more info on the differences then look in the spec part of the info pages - go for a Type S if you can.

Pete

Brind
17-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi and welocme to the site!

A lot of insurance companys are a bit funny with the VR-4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (opposite to what spirit just said lol) I tried loads but if they did agree to give you a quote they'd run a mile before you could say "mod" INSERT INTO post VALUES (modifications).

Tescos and Direct line require a tracker, once you pay out for that if you don't have one you may as well have gone with Adrian Flux etc who I'm with and Spirit is with now too.

Most VR-4s upto 1999 are grey imports although Ralliart may have brought in some?? from 99 anyway Ralliart brought them in full time, you can still get grey ones obviously.

Spirits car is a grey and mine is an official but we pay virtually the same insurance prices. So grey or official, it doesn't matter if you get a quote.

Spirit
18-06-2003, 07:27 AM
LOL Brind you're right - I did not word that very well did I - three companies is not loads really is it !

Brind is right , I moved from Direct Line to Adrian Flux due to my mods INSERT INTO post VALUES (I already had a Cat 1 and Tracker fitted). DL want about £80 per 10BHP increase - got all me mods listed with Adrian Flux for an extra £43 a year !

Pete

Darren
18-06-2003, 07:30 AM
I pay £750 for a standard 2.0L GLS , I'm 32 with no penalties but I only have 2 years no claims since I was company car previosly, live in an ok area for car crime. So i'm looking at £2000 for a VR4 :P

Brind
18-06-2003, 07:18 PM
£750 For a 2 litre normal Galant is a lot of money!
Although that will be mainly due to no claims I'd still suggest looking at different insurers!!!
The average we pay here for insurance is £600 including mods.

Darren
18-06-2003, 08:42 PM
lol. most places I tried wanted between £1200 and £1800 per year when I got the car. Best I got was £789 from kwikfit. I had to provide proof of driving a company car to get it down to so little. It must be because the little scallys up north invented joy riding / ram raiding and whilst it's dropped of a lot, the insurance companies jam thier fingers in thier ears and do the LALA song.

I recon i'm looking at a couple of years before a VR4 is realy feasible :INSERT INTO post VALUES (.

By the way, spotted a black VR4 legnum INSERT INTO post VALUES (i think but it was unbadged) outside Block Buster in west denton. Belong to anyone here ?

Dmac1969
14-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Im paying £334 for fully comp insurance on my Galant V6-24V auto thru Esure , altho im 34 and have 7 yrs NCD , but that price includes NCD protection and legal cover. I reckon Id be able to insure a VR4 for under £700.

keira_m
27-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi guys, my bf used www.quotezone.co.uk to find his car insurance, u stick in your details and they go to loads of places and get you a list of quotes straight away, was really handy, definately worth a look imo

SGHOM
27-09-2005, 06:05 PM
just tried it ! /yes
5 refusals, 1 server busy & 3 quotes.

£928...............£755......... and £330.28 !!

Axeboy
27-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Try Elephant

Cheapest by far for me.

ritch_w
27-09-2005, 06:51 PM
£451 to £1550 - for a v6-24 shockin :shocked

i'll be sticking with lifesure if they can renew for less than £400

keira_m
28-09-2005, 11:35 AM
yeah sghom, sounds pretty good, ill probably give it a try myself later in the year

Nick Mann
28-09-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah sghom, sounds pretty good, ill probably give it a try myself later in the year

Sounds unbelievable!! Derek, if you get it for that, please let us know!!!

marmel31
28-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Just to say nah nah nah nah nah I currently pay about 120 pounds to fully insure my VR4 here in New Zealand with a 100 pound excess. We are still pretty lucky over here, insurance isn't too bad unless your under 21 but even then it's cheaper than what you guys have to pay over there.

Nick Mann
28-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Cheapest I have paid on a VR4 is £550. That was standard. Currently paying £800, all mods declared.

I am obviously pretty average (!) see here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8038

D.J
29-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Try Elephant

Cheapest by far for me.

Unless you need to claim from them. A friend recently crashed their month old car(VW) and elephant gave them considerably less than they paid for it, when they finally decided to write the car off. Also when she tried to talk to them about the value of the car Elephant didn't want to know about it.

kornstar
29-09-2005, 11:00 AM
im 19 and could only find one insurance company in nz that would insure my vr4, and thats full for 677 pounds, with a 577 pound excess!!