PDA

View Full Version : Preventative EvoScan

wipash
30-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey guys,

Is there anyone near Auckland with EvoScan? I'm keen to have my 2000 Legnum 2.4 GDi 'scanned just for piece of mind. Nothing 'seems' to be wrong with it, but I wanna make sure =P

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to get work done on these cars around Auckland? I'm perpetually afraid of bad workmanship, so I'm looking for advice beforehand. I used to go to a place in Highbury, North Shore, but I'm not completely happy with them; an oil leak 'appeared' out the side of the head after they replaced the cambelt, and (when I was brand new to owning a car) they didn't tell me to get a wheel alignment after replacing some part of the steering system, so I went through a set of front tyres. =c

I want to get the valves and cylinders etc decoked, and possibly the exhaust manifold as well, as I've heard they can get pretty mucky.

So yeah, an EvoScan should show up anything that isn't working correctly, shouldn't it?

=P I know that I can't get an awesome amount of performance out of the GDi, but seeing as it's my first and only car I want to make it as perfect as i can <3

Thanks!
Sean

elnevio
30-03-2010, 09:36 AM
If you can, I'd be inclined to get the car on a dyno instead. The dyno operator should then be able to monitor things like Air Fuel Ratio and Exhaust Gas Temperature, as well as getting a power graph, and I'd find this to be much more peace of mind!

wipash
30-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Ooooh, ok!

So I know nothing about dyno's at all =P Any Aucklanders know of a good place to get that done? Also, is it very expensive?

-edit-
With the power graph and other results from a dyno, is there some repository of expected results? Or does someone who knows what they're talking about just interpret them and tell you what's up?

-some more editing-
Also, by 'nothing wrong' I mean nothing out of the ordinary is wrong. It smokes a bit on heavy acceleration and uses oil, but I've heard this is kinda normal for a GDi? Anyway I'll take that up with whichever garage I go to, and hopefully it's just some seals or something that needs replacing.

elnevio
30-03-2010, 09:48 AM
The dyno guy should have some idea. The info provided should be fairly clear - power, torque & AFR plotted against rpm, or some combination thereof. You'll be able to see where in the rev range you are making you peak power.

You can post the graphs up here and we can tell you how good they are, too!

Atik
30-03-2010, 09:50 AM
With the shape of the graph and the other related information that is generated like AFRs, you are able to work out how the car is operating.

There isnt an 'expected' result as such, but most guys here could advise you whats happening with the car. And dont worry, you will pick things up quickly once you start getting involved with the car.

Subaru ETA
31-03-2010, 02:40 AM
we have our dyno days at torque performance in avondale

http://www.torqueperformance.co.nz/

as for workshop - mitsi on the shore are good. they did the ayc service on mine and did the steering rack (im a mechanic myself but i was on ACC at the time and it had to be done) the hourly charge out rate isnt bad either.

if you go to mitsi in Newmarket you get a club discount tho

Ryan
31-03-2010, 02:48 AM
we have our dyno days at torque performance in avondale

http://www.torqueperformance.co.nz/

as for workshop - mitsi on the shore are good. they did the ayc service on mine and did the steering rack (im a mechanic myself but i was on ACC at the time and it had to be done) the hourly charge out rate isnt bad either.

if you go to mitsi in Newmarket you get a club discount tho

They also did not replace the front wheel nuts tightly enough after I had my steering rack serviced. I only noticed in Whangaparoa a day after that one was missing.

Tested the fronts on both sides with wheel brace and all were alarmingly loose compared to the rears (plus one missing). Took it up with them as they were the only ones who'd touched those components since it left the workshop. They replaced the nut but their attitude about the whole thing was disappointing.

That said - they have been pretty good the times I've been there apart from this incident.

wipash
31-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Yeah I've been thinking about going to New Market Mitsi, but I don't get a discount until my membership card arrives =c

Rossco Type-S
31-03-2010, 05:19 AM
If you are going to have in Dynoed, why wouldn;t you get EvoSan to log all the data while it is on the Dyno?