PDA

View Full Version : MMCS mod idea for ipod input! Electrics knowledge sought.

mcbrood
31-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi all,

I know you can get iPods etc via MMCS if you have the TV tuner module, but I don't (and many others don't) and they seem hard to come by...

...so my question is this: based on the pinouts shown here33472

Would it be possible to wire the TV audio in to a 3.5mm stereo socket, then mount that in the dash, to run iPod sound over the factory stereo?

The only reason I can think it wouldn't work would be that the MMCS controller needs to receive some other signal from a TV unit to turn on the TV inputs? Does anyone have an idea how to do this? I note there is a TV "switch" input on the pin outs. Anyone tried this before? I think it would be a useful mod for several people.

Thanks heaps!!

p.s. thanks to http://mmcs.mylivepage.com/wiki/516/418_Pinout_for_all_modules_except_TV-Tuner for the pinout diagram :)

eyeballprawn
31-03-2010, 02:07 AM
The tuners do pop up from time to time, as some people don't care about the input and the TV itself doesn't work outside of Japan.

I do have one, but will be interested to hear if you have any success with this.

Something kind of related that I found out was that the power on the TV modules connector #3 (which you cropped off the pic & intended for a non-existent video player module) isn't activated unless TV is selected on the head unit. I haven't checked the tuner's main power, only that connector, but I'm betting that it doesn't turn on at all until selected.

I also did a bit of research into naming the station presets over on OZVR4 but it stalled :(

mcbrood
31-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Currently if I press TV on my headunit, I get a japanese message (I guess it says no TUNER present or something). So I can only presume it is looking for some sort of signal from the tuner. I'm guessing I need to find out what that signal is, and if it can be easily emulated, in order to turn on the TV (iPod) audio. This might not be hard to figure out using a multimeter, TV tuner, and a bit more auto-electric know-how than I have...if anyone feels like having a crack it'd be awesome! And potentially a popular mod for those still with a factory MMCS?

Thanks!

Subaru ETA
31-03-2010, 03:25 AM
i dont know what its like with the MMCS but my airtrek has MDS (the new version). to run my ipod i just had to unplug the audio output for the tv and get one of those $12 AV to head phone cables from dickmith and it works fine. i just set my head unit to tv manually and it plays the ipod

mcbrood
31-03-2010, 03:32 AM
i dont know what its like with the MMCS but my airtrek has MDS (the new version). to run my ipod i just had to unplug the audio output for the tv and get one of those $12 AV to head phone cables from dickmith and it works fine. i just set my head unit to tv manually and it plays the ipod

There are no AV inputs because my car is missing the (seperate) TV tuner module. I guess I could try wiring a socket straight to the back of the cassette deck...

...anyone got any tips about how to remove the fake wood dash/centre console, so I can get at the back of the head deck?

Cheers.

Subaru ETA
31-03-2010, 03:33 AM
search is your friend. there is an article somewhere on how to do it

eyeballprawn
31-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Probably the easiest option would be an FM transmitter or one of those cassette adapters.

mcbrood
31-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Probably the easiest option would be an FM transmitter or one of those cassette adapters.

I have an FM transmitter (Belkin) but it is crap...too much interference anywhere near a city...have also tried a cassette adapter, and that didn't work either (admittedly it WAS from the $2 shop...).

I just thought this would be an elegant solution if it were possible...

Turbo_Steve
31-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I think what you're going to need to do is find a very very friendly person who has a TV tuner, and ask them to cut their loom between the Head and tuner and analyse the signals they see. I would GUESS that there will be Audio L+R, a power line or two, a few earths, and some comms lines.

If you're lucky, these will be "On/Off" (channel up, channel down, Tuner available, etc) which means you could make up a bodge cable that will do the job.

If you're unlucky, the headunit will ask the Tuner to identify itself using an unknown serial protocol. And at that point, you're probably boned.

eyeballprawn
31-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I will send you the workshop manual, it's in Japanese but has all the inputs & outputs and what the signals they expect are. There's also instructions on how to go into diagnostic mode and check operation of connected modules.

mcbrood
31-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I will send you the workshop manual, it's in Japanese but has all the inputs & outputs and what the signals they expect are. There's also instructions on how to go into diagnostic mode and check operation of connected modules.

MINT! Thanks heaps, much appreciated