PDA

View Full Version : Big Ouch

AntonyBaker
17-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Girlfriend had a bit of an argument with a lampost in a car park on New Years eve, was trying to cut across all the empty parkind spaces INSERT INTO post VALUES ( towards the exit ); as the car park was totally empty and in the dusk light out of the blind spot sprang a large unlit post.

Looking at teh damage you'd think she was doing at least 20mph at the time of impact, not so, she was in fact travelling at 9mph, I wouldnt have believed it myself except I was in teh passenger seat.

Total approximate damage was 6,500 quid, Elephant.co.uk coughed up after I convinced them that their book prices on what the standard Galant is worth, bears no relation to the VR4. Because the full impact was taken by the wheel which was turned therefore exposed, pushed the wheel back into the arch and pretty trashed the front suspension, then the roll off from the tire meant that the lampost traveled down every driver's side panel as teh car was still moving. Had the car not been so heavy the damage probably would have stopped with the front.

Anyone else suffered a heart breaking moment like this with their VR4 ?

AntonyBaker
17-06-2003, 04:41 PM
...another ouch...notice the position of the wheel inside the front arch..

AntonyBaker
17-06-2003, 04:43 PM
...one more ouch....needless to say....This did cast a cloud over our New Years celebrations.

Spirit
17-06-2003, 05:32 PM
:Cry1:

My wallet has just run and hid away hoping it never has to suffer the same pain !

Pete

Brind
17-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Ah damn! unlucky.

May be the damage is so bad because she carried on driving, regardless of speed a lampost won't give in easily to flimsy car metal.

Again, unlucky! :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( at least it's back to its former glory now.

landy
17-06-2003, 10:28 PM
damned bad luck !!:INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :Cry1: :bawling:

i shouted in horror when i saw these photos. partly because i have never seen a picture of a legnum with even a scratch on it before, but mostly because it looks almost identical to my own legnum INSERT INTO post VALUES ( a shudder went down my spine ):nervous:

glad everything's ok for you now though:D

AntonyBaker
17-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Ok ok leave it !

I did not know Ant had even posted these pic's until I got home from work.

I have nothing to say in my defence..... it just jumped out on me honest guv !
And the funny thing is I was discussing at the time how much it would cost to have a dump valve fitted.

I have to say though, at 4:30pm New years eve I was sitting on the floor of an empty carpark crying my eyes out !
How sad am I !

Oh the shame !

Lisa
The VR-4 killer.

haydar
17-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by AntonyBaker
Ok ok leave it !

I did not know Ant had even posted these pic's until I got home from work.

I have nothing to say in my defence..... it just jumped out on me honest guv !
And the funny thing is I was discussing at the time how much it would cost to have a dump valve fitted.

I have to say though, at 4:30pm New years eve I was sitting on the floor of an empty carpark crying my eyes out !
How sad am I !

Oh the shame !

Lisa
The VR-4 killer.

How's the car now??? All fixed I hope :)

AntonyBaker
17-06-2003, 11:09 PM
I am pleased to say our baby is back looking better than when we got her.

We had such trouble getting the repairs done. As Antony mentioned above Elephant wanted to scrap it, we had to fight our case and finally we won.
I hope none of you experience what we went through, but one word of warning that we found out to all grey owners.... beware of the small print of not giving you a loan vehicle while yours is being repaired.
We found this out the hard way, but we got round it by telling them that we wanted to go to a garage of our choice, not the one they wanted it to go too.
We learnt that 9 out 0f 10 times its the garage that supplies the loan car not the insurance company, so as long as the garage is happy jobs a good'n !

The garage really went to town matching the colour and everything, they even sprayed over a few small stone chiips we had on the bonnet with the left over paint, and repaired a crack in the rear bumper that had nothing to do with the accident.

For reference if anyone lives close the garage we used was Neweld in Chertsey Sirrey - 01932 567371.
I cannot speak highly enough of them.

Lisa
The VR-4 killer

P.S. Ant has just told me off for posting on his name so I am going to register as myself :)
And so the flood gates open, I can talk the hind legs off a donkey and like nothing more than eating TT's for breakfast.

-LegnumVR4-
18-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Big ouch.

-LegnumVR4-
18-06-2003, 06:16 AM
More....

Spirit
18-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Lisa - :D welcome aboard - hope you have fun here !

Legnum VR4 - those are nasty pics :Cry1:

Pete

AntonyBaker
18-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Now that, is horrific !

Ant

Roadrunner
18-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Nah, should polish out with a bit of luck .... :D