PDA

View Full Version : Sold my GT4, got a VR4

russraff
04-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Well, I was tired of the old (1994, 70k) celica GT4 and decided to change. I was going to get a Supra, but ths strange saloon in a sea of subaru's caught my eye.
"what's that one, there, the silver one?" I asked pointing at the VR4
"That is what we call a wolf in sheep's clothing"
I was so intrigued, especially when he said it had a twin turbo V6, that I decided it was between this P reg VR4 and the Supra.
After nearly killing myself on some damp roads with the supra (that second turbo is quite surprising), I decided the VR4 was for me. Only thing now is that some of the folks at the old GT4 Owners club are going to rip the pee out of me something rotten for getting a "boring" salloon and selling my curvy coupe.

Roll on Monday...:thumb1:

Russell

Nick Mann
04-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Welcome!!

Wolf in sheeps clothing is often mentioned. I like to call it stealth! A few choice mods and your mates will have to stop laughing! Talk to BDA fabrications Ltd.....!

calum
04-08-2004, 09:27 PM
you should have kept both. but then you'd have been copying me!

Calum

KiwiTT
04-08-2004, 09:44 PM
:welcome: To C L U B V R 4

YOu find lots of interesting post here and even more when you join up as a paid member, including discounts.

Spirit
04-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Trust me, they won't laugh ! They may misunderstand your thinking at first, but once they see you pull off into the distance they will have respect !

calum
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I know we all like to believe our cars are the best!

The VR4 may be quick, but it's not that quick. My STANDARD gt4 will do a 1/4 mile in 13.9. Don't see very many VR4s managing that.

Also, the gt4 is a better all round drivers car, with better balance, brakes and steering.

I love my VR4, but for what it is - a big lump of a car that has been made to go fast. It certainly ain't no sports car!

Calum

russraff
04-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the big welcome folks. I am seeing some of my GT4OC mates tomorrow, to tell them the news. I wouldn't care at a meet I remember saying "I wouldn't get a Subaru or EVO and such 'cause they are just saloons, nothing special like this [GT4]". Ah, well, humble pie and all that.

Calum:
Strange. I thought the VR4 felt a fair bit faster than my GT4, in gear times especially. Not scientifically measured, mind, but my GT4 will do 40-80 in 4th gear in about 8-9 secs. The vr4 managed it in about 1 second less. Like I said, not scientific or anything, but the VR4 certainly seemed to have more grunt. I totally agree with the handling and breaks. AYC or no, the GT4 is a much more nimble car and the GT4's breaks are stupidly good. On a twisty road the VR4 wouldn't really have a chance. Stearing? My GT4 is very twitchy and whitelines like nothing on this planet, I don't like it at all.
I found the VR4 to be "just right for me" something just ckicked when I drove it. I also drove a GTO (oh, dear) and Supra TT (scary - how do people manage in the snow?) and I still think the VR4 is the best all round car. So I bought one.

By the way, who are BDA Fabrications and how do you join?

Russell

Japmetal
05-08-2004, 02:19 AM
BDA is BigDaveAkers - one of our more practically-able members

He has basically tuned his VR4 Legnum [Estate] to do a 13.5 1/4 mile all by himself - speak to him about buying a custom de-cat pipe for your VR4, he makes them himself ;)

enigma
05-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Wow, my reputation precedes me! Welcome to the club Russ!

I have to say I dont totally agree with Calum :lipsrseal , used to have an MR2 turbo which felt stoopid quick, until I got the VR4! Sure there are faster cars out there, but imaging the suprise when an estate car kicks your ass! I have yet to be beaten away from the lights by anything other than a bike, even though I drive round with moderate boost day to day :rolleyes5 .

As standard I ran 15.4 ish for the 1/4 mile and after 9 months I now have that down to 13.5 and there is more to come, looking for sub 13 on my next outing in October.

As some members will protest I will also add that for a big car it corners exceptionally well, get it lowered and put some new springs and dampers on each corner and you will have a permanent grin :D

All round I think you would be hard pushed to find a more capable and practical car...........in fact for pretty much any money I think you would struggle!

As for BDA Fabrications, it is me! It is not a company, just me in my garage making bits for fellow members. At the moment I just do de-cat pipes (sold about 40 I guess) but will soon get in to downpipes and I am always available for technical advice and trouble shooting. :$

russraff
05-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Trouble shooting, eh? I noticed two things with the car I am not sure about. So what's your opinion on:

Firstly, the front alloy wheels were quite hot after my test drive (like a half warm radiator), is this normal? I suspect not, so I have asked for the breaks to be looked over and fixed if need be. They agreed to do this. Am I right: does the front alloys get mildly hot?

Secondly, and this is the confusing one, but there is a "SRS" light on all the time on the dash. I said that this means that there is a problem with the system and the guy said it maybe, and if there was a problem it would need to be fixed as part of the SVA test. Therefore I was not to worry. Now, this may be true, but I have heard stories of the "bulb" or whatever being disconnected so it looks like it is working. So the question is: Is the SRS light always on, and if not, does it come on briefly during ignition?

Russell

PS I have posted these q's on the technical forum, so this post may require removal

KiwiTT
05-08-2004, 10:23 PM
...As some members will protest I will also add that for a big car it corners exceptionally well, get it lowered and put some new springs and dampers on each corner and you will have a permanent grin :D ...

Yep. Grinning all the way. 30mm lowered. plus firmer springs and adjustable shocks.

I got 3 bars on AYC for the first time today. After the newF1 tyres on, I feel I can start pushing it a little harder.

ako
07-08-2004, 01:50 AM
The VR4 may be quick, but it's not that quick. My STANDARD gt4 will do a 1/4 mile in 13.9. Don't see very many VR4s managing that.

I'd LOVE to see it do THAT. Toyotas a bit um.... Creative with their figures.

Anyway, Well done on the purchase man, Hope you agree with the 6A13 being in another world of sound compared to the good old "John Deere" 3SGTE!!

russraff
07-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Mostly, folks will get nearer just under 15 secs 1/4 mile with stock GT4. Some people have posted mid 14's, from what I remember on the GT4OC website.

"John Deere"? It took me a while to get it, but I'm with you! :-D Yeah, the GT4 has an agricultural sounding engine, but that is probably part of it's charm as a rally car. My mate's MR2 doesn't sound nearly as rough and it uses the same engine. Having said all that, my previous car to my GT4 was a (don't laugh, now) Mondeo ST24 and that sounded like it was running on Angel Delight, it being a V6 and all. So, yeah, in some respects the VR4 V6 engine does have a classier feel to it. It reminds me of my bosses Audi A8 4.2 in the noise the VR4 makes (sans turbos), though hopefully the Mitsi will be more reliable...
What really impressed me, though, was the flat torque curve; on my GT4, you really need to rev it to 5000+ rpm for you to get all the horses and top acceleration. In the VR4 this doesn't seem necessary, and silky smooth acceleration is always on tap. There is a lot more torque in the VR4, and really put the revvy Accord Type R I tried firmly in place. The cars I tested were:
4th= Subaru, fast but I think they must be built in Blue Peter's parking lot;
3rd=Accord Type R nicely built and handles very well but not that fast;
2nd=Supra love them but I would wind up killing myself in the wet
1st= VR4 as it has none of the disadvantages of the above and all the advantages and then some.

Russell

KiwiMR2
22-07-2005, 08:15 AM
:) :) :) :)

paulmc
22-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Good choice.

I agree with Calum though, not that fast out of the box but can be made faster and a very good all round car. I am really satrting to enjoy mine now :thumbsup: