PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone on here had Tonsillitis.

aboo
02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
God it knocks you for six.

I started feeling ill on Tuesday night & have been in my bed since except for going to the Docs today.

He confirmed it was Tonsillitis, has gave me anti-biotics & has signed me of for another week.

The worst thing about it is I was of on holiday this week from my work.

mike74
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
bummer dude, i totally sympathise. i had it when i was about 4 years old. to this day i still remember how painful it was & how i could barely swallow. also remember having to eat nothing but ice cream for a week after i got em removed so it wasn't all bad! should be good for the sympathy trip on the misses though :violin:
mine grew back 2 years after they were removed & have been fine since...guess the second set's the keeper...

Jane
02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
/yes

I found wine helped. Lots of wine.

J :D

Nick VR4
02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeap about 20 years ago, on and off for 6 years after I stopped smoking, and was told that having a operation was not a good idea due to my age

But I always get a sore throat before I get man flu now

Hope you feel better soon

ps my Twin sister had hers removed at 25yrs old and was in agony plus now ice cream is a no no dry toast or dry cereal is used

aboo
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
/yes

I found wine helped. Lots of wine.

J :D
I have a case of Stella in the fridge that I bought Tuesday afternoon.

When I was still awake at 5am it did cross my mined to have a few tins.

valleyforge1
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Bloody hell Andy any excuse for a piss up. Ive hear some tales but that takes the biscuit. lol.

Little un is bad at moment but its not tonsilities.

Hope you get better soon mate dont want stella to go out of business while your off supping it all.

apeman69
02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
ps my Twin sister had hers removed at 25yrs old...
She single?

elnevio
02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
She single?
/bradc mode engaged

:P

Rambaud
02-04-2010, 07:09 PM
bummer dude, i totally sympathise. i had it when i was about 4 years old. to this day i still remember how painful it was & how i could barely swallow. also remember having to eat nothing but ice cream for a week after i got em removed so it wasn't all bad! should be good for the sympathy trip on the misses though :violin:
mine grew back 2 years after they were removed & have been fine since...guess the second set's the keeper...

Plus 1 - although I was ~ 10 years old. The ice cream bribe worked. :)

Mine did not grow back.

Turbo_Steve
02-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I had a tonsilectomy at 6yrs old.

Subsequently I was fine and healthy for a number of years, until I hit 17, and started to get bouts of fatigue, and plagued with mouth ulcers (10 or more at once) every couple of months.

Then the migraines started.

4 years ago, I had a wisdom tooth removed. This got rid of the migraines (yay!) and was supposed to banish the ulcers too. Unfortunately, I have had tonsilitis at least 5 times since then. It's horrid, and if you get the fever it annihilates you for 2 weeks.

I've found I typically get it when I'm overdoing it, get a cold or something, and then BAM hey look, here's a fever and a sore throat and stiff and achy.

All I can suggest is that getting ultra ultra drunk can actually banish it....though the only times it's worked, I've had serious alcohol poisoning afterwards. Antibiotics are definitely better.

For my part, it seems, that I just have accept that it's back, and will strike whenever I let myself get too run down.

So yah, you could say I've had it :D

aboo
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I had a tonsilectomy at 6yrs old.

Subsequently I was fine and healthy for a number of years, until I hit 17, and started to get bouts of fatigue, and plagued with mouth ulcers (10 or more at once) every couple of months.

Then the migraines started.

4 years ago, I had a wisdom tooth removed. This got rid of the migraines (yay!) and was supposed to banish the ulcers too. Unfortunately, I have had tonsilitis at least 5 times since then. It's horrid, and if you get the fever it annihilates you for 2 weeks.

I've found I typically get it when I'm overdoing it, get a cold or something, and then BAM hey look, here's a fever and a sore throat and stiff and achy.

All I can suggest is that getting ultra ultra drunk can actually banish it....though the only times it's worked, I've had serious alcohol poisoning afterwards. Antibiotics are definitely better.

For my part, it seems, that I just have accept that it's back, and will strike whenever I let myself get too run down.

So yah, you could say I've had it :DYou'v described it to a tea Steve. First time I ever had it.

Been waking up from the little sleep I'v been getting in a pool of sweat.

Just had 2 cans of beer. That was a mistake on top of the antibiotics.

Turbo_Steve
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Er. Yes. Especially as the beer stops the Antibiotics working.

Ryan
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
All I can suggest is that getting ultra ultra drunk can actually banish it....though the only times it's worked, I've had serious alcohol poisoning afterwards.

Quite the opposite, it is likely to make it worse as you are dehydrating your body, lowering your core temperature and in the process, compromising your immune system even more leaving your body even more prone to infection.

Don't do it.

Turbo_Steve
02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
.though the only times it's worked, I've had serious alcohol poisoning afterwards.

Should I have put that bit in bold?

Ryan
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Can put it in whatever style font you like.