PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Disc sizes

pezza
05-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone with 2000+ non -vr4 galant know the size of the front brake discs? Were front discs upgraded from 257 mm to 275/6mm from 2000 to 2001+ models? (Hmm also wondering if the 8g VR4 brake disc caliper setup bolt onto non-vr4 8g car :-)

I do not have access to the mitz parts catalogue. I have tried doing a search
for previous posts but not found any info on this...

Black diamond mention that they have a 275mm disc size for 15 inch wheels
but this is listed as Aug 2001 onwards?

The car I have is from nov 2000 but mitsubishi parts do not have the dimensions of discs, or wont tell me..? I can see that the front discs are larger than the standard 262mm rear discs...

Also does anyone know if (or ever attempted to change) the hub ends from VR4
will fit on a non VR4 galant, in order to get the 5 studded end? I have my eye on some alloys (again) but 80% of the taaaasty alloys are only avail in the 5 stud 114.3 pattern :-/

Cheers ppls...

Pezzz

Nick Mann
05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
My '98 V6-24 had 275mm discs. When I changed them, I was supplied with 257mm. I guess most had 257 but some had 275. I got quotes from three places and all quoted me on 257mm. I ended up having to take the bits to the parts shop and work it all out! The pad was shogun sized, as opposed to the listed galant size. It's almost like Mitsubishi couldn't decide what to put on!

pezza
05-08-2004, 08:03 PM
HI Nick,

Cheers for that, I kept thinking I was going mad... the guys on mitsubishi parts really scratched their heads... that worried me somewhat... :-)

275mm it is then...

Nick Mann
05-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Mitsubishi knew the size from the chassis number. It was all the other suppliers who were confused. But they were a shed load cheaper! Can't remember all the numbers now, I'm afraid.

pezza
13-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Mitsubishi knew the size from the chassis number. It was all the other suppliers who were confused. But they were a shed load cheaper! Can't remember all the numbers now, I'm afraid.

Hmmm

I just received a call from the garage fitting the Black Diamond discs/pads to my car it appears the front brake pads I received are too small? :headsc:

Does anyone know if the brake pads for the 275mm disc are also different in dimensions to the pads for the 257mm discs?

The problematic part is PP764. Black Diamond do not do a different front pad
as far as they are aware..

Hmm I wonder if the previous owner has been tinkering here... :uhoh2:

Nick Mann
13-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Take an old pad to a supplier. They have actual size outlines of the pads in a big helpful book. I think my V6 had shogun pads instead of galant ones, but again, it was over a year ago and I can't remember.

pezza
13-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Take an old pad to a supplier. They have actual size outlines of the pads in a big helpful book. I think my V6 had shogun pads instead of galant ones, but again, it was over a year ago and I can't remember.

Cheers I will do that... I still have some meat on the pads so will check them again in about a month or so...

Just got back from having all four discs replaced and drove like a learner due to the lack of stopping power of new discs.... I just stopped in time going down the ramp to the car park at work! I think I will be driving down the hard shoulder at 30mph on the Motorway this weekend!!!

Driving around like this for a few days will be an experience! :toilet:

colVR4
15-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Have your disks bedded in yet Pezza? How are they comparing to the standard ones?

colVR4
16-08-2004, 09:03 AM
I am still trying to find out what size pads the V6 Sport requires on the front. I found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10400&item=2486985941&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Does anybody know if these are the right size pads for the front of a 2000 V6 Sport. From the description it looks to be the case. If so I will compare the pads for the shogun with those for the galant on the NeedForSpeed website to see if I have been sent the right ones.

I was hoping that Keiran (Keeper of Part Numbers) would be able to help out here :-D

colVR4
16-08-2004, 09:13 AM
I have checked out the size of the pads that I was supplied with by NeedForSpeed (PP764) and they definately look too small. They are also a different shape at the top and bottom so I need to find out which pad will fit.

At the moment it is looking like I may have to get some standard pads to fit on the front with my new rotors as the pads I have on the moment are very low.....Bu66er!!

pezza
16-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I have checked out the size of the pads that I was supplied with by NeedForSpeed (PP764) and they definately look too small. They are also a different shape at the top and bottom so I need to find out which pad will fit.

Hi Col,

Yup they sure are too small... So need to return mine or maybe offer them to anyone who has galant with the 257mm front disc?

I will also have a chat with Black Diamond at least that they are aware that with this new 1134 Disc a different pad size is required. With all these sizes
is there a standard pad size shape and code used across all pad manufacturers? Does anyone know?

Have your disks bedded in yet Pezza? How are they comparing to the standard ones?

THe discs and pads are eventually wearing in after doing about 250 miles this weekend. I got the standard "Shiinking" sound so accurately described by Isaac and J.A.P. after they fitted theirs but that has more or less subsided now. I havent planted by foot to the floor yet so hopefully will see difference
over the come few days..

Cheers

Pezz

Nick Mann
16-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Remember to release the brake as soon as you come to a standstill. Hot pads in one place on a new disc is a no-no!

If everyone posts part numbers of parts they buy, then we will get a good database of such things.

pezza
16-08-2004, 02:28 PM
If everyone posts part numbers of parts they buy, then we will get a good database of such things.

Sounds like a good idea.. or maybe a categorised ref list of parts/manufacturers. That will be useful..

Kieran
16-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Remember to release the brake as soon as you come to a standstill. Hot pads in one place on a new disc is a no-no!

When I was fumbling about with a pot of waxoyl over the weekend in Hordak's wheel arches, I discovered what happens to your disc if this happens! I've got a dirty great pad print on my offside disc! :sad3: :rolleyes5

pezza
11-09-2004, 11:11 AM

At the moment it is looking like I may have to get some standard pads to fit on the front with my new rotors as the pads I have on the moment are very low.....Bu66er!!

Just an update;

FInally found the pads which fit the larger 275mm front disc (with a lil help from Nick :-b ) The Pad pattern which ferodo and Black diamond and a few other manufacturers use is a 765. The pad is 150mm by 60mm and 15.7 or 16mm thick
With black diamond the part number for the disc is KBD1134 and pad PP765
Ferodo's pad is FBD765 and DS2500 compound FDS765.. They also do this in the 2000 compound.

The smaller disc which is 257mm as fitted to GLS is black diamond part KBD459 the pad is the 764 pattern which is 128mm by 48mm (I think) and same thickness as above.

I hope that this is useful.. to someone? :rolleyes5

Cheers

Pezz

Kieran
02-12-2004, 02:04 PM
It certainly is helpful Pezz! Just had a call from the dealer (hordak's 81,000 mile service is underway) and my brakes are apparently singing "Please release me, let me go......" :lipsrseal :$

And seeing how they want £108 :wtf: :wtf: just to do the rear pads, I shall be ordering some BDs and doing it myself!!!
:rolleyes5

Kieran
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Ok - So I've ordered the pads, but Need For Speed don't seem to stock the Black Diamond Part KBD1134, which is the 275mm disc - They only show the 256mm one...

Any ideas? How did you order the 275s? was it over the phone or online?

pezza
04-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Ok - So I've ordered the pads, but Need For Speed don't seem to stock the Black Diamond Part KBD1134, which is the 275mm disc - They only show the 256mm one...

Any ideas? How did you order the 275s? was it over the phone or online?

Hi Kieran,

they did not seem to show it on the site but I did call NFS gave them the part number and they ordered direct from Black Diamond. U can ring black diamond and order directly but NFS seem to have a nice discount! Black Diamond number is here (http://www.blackdiamondperformance.com/contact.htm)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Pezzz

Kieran
13-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the help.

Black Diamond Predator pads (front and rear) are now waiting to be fitted. :)

And I found out the other day that one of the two outlets for Carparts Direct (http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/) is about 5 mins from my house!! :-b

So, I ordered a set of Rossini perfomance brake discs from them! (See HERE (http://www.partsdirectderby.co.uk/Rossini_drilled_and_grooved_Performance_Brake.html ) for more info)

I picked them up on Saturday and I'm waiting for a free weekend to get the job done. :-b

Prices - £166inc for the fronts, Drilled and grooved, with the Rossini engraving, and £129 for the rears, same spec. Bit more than Black Diamonds, but I placed the order last Monday and they were ready for collection on Wednesday! Pretty good I think!

For reference - Mitsubishi wanted £162inc for each axle for standard, non grooved, non drilled brake discs! :rolleyes5

Kieran
28-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Now....

I am just about to throw a bloody great big spanner in the works here people. :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

I ordered a set of PP765 pads for the front of the car, as some of you V6 owners have done.

I went to fit them today.... And they don't fit! They're to large to fit in the pad cradle - and the old pads are also a different shape.

One quick trip to FittaPart and we managed to find the application. God knows where this pad comes into things, but it's a pukka listing, nonetheless.

I believe that most of you have this pattern of Pad:

http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pn.asp?PartNo=DP954&LineNo=88441000

This however did not fit my car - Instead, I've ordered a set matching this pattern:

[http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pn.asp?PartNo=DP1614&LineNo=34491000

Weird! My car is a 2000 model year, but it's using pads listed for 2001 models onwards?!?!?!

Therefore.... V6 owners - before you order pads - CHECK FIRST!!!

I really am surprised at how esoteric the whole brake pad thing is!! It seems that there are several variations for pads, depending on which particular V6 you have!! :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

pezza
29-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Now....

I ordered a set of PP765 pads for the front of the car, as some of you V6 owners have done.

I went to fit them today.... And they don't fit! They're to large to fit in the pad cradle - and the old pads are also a different shape.

I really am surprised at how esoteric the whole brake pad thing is!! It seems that there are several variations for pads, depending on which particular V6 you have!! :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

This is very odd indeed...

What are the dimensions on the pad that you have now? I wonder..

I experienced the reverse scenario... I was sent (I think 764s) as listed on needforspeed and motorsportworld... These were too small!

My car was not a sport V6 and these needed the 765 pattern... I got these from black diamond. I think NickM used the standard 765 ferrodos on his 2000 sport estate.. these fit the shogun...so your saloon is different yet again??? :headsc:

Kieran
29-12-2004, 02:59 PM
This is very odd indeed...

What are the dimensions on the pad that you have now? I wonder..

I experienced the reverse scenario... I was sent (I think 764s) as listed on needforspeed and motorsportworld... These were too small!

My car was not a sport V6 and these needed the 765 pattern... I got these from black diamond. I think NickM used the standard 765 ferrodos on his 2000 sport estate.. these fit the shogun...so your saloon is different yet again??? :headsc:

The dimensions of my pad are listed on that second link.

I think I may have spotted a pattern though..... My car is one of the 'high-spec' Sports, with the titanium finish console, electric mirrors and different fogs, as well as some other detail changes.

Nick Mann's Sport wasn't and neither is your V6-24. Your cars are both estates too.

Hmmm..... Col V6 Sport... What pads did you use (his is a 'hi-spec' sport too, BUT it's an automatic)....

More research needed! I guess I could find the answer if I could get this PI$$ing CAPS CD to work....