PDA

View Full Version : open university

AlanDITD
05-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Cna any one explain to me in simple terms how this works?

I know the basics i.e i study from hom etc etc. I take it i would be an undergraduate, but i dont really understand the point system, why its there or what it means....

I just want to know the easiest way of enrolling, the cost involved and the courses i can do.

I loooked on their website and thats where it all got a touch confusing.

Cheers

Nutter_John
05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
You havr failed the first test then Alan , suggest you look at the OU for dummies giude :P

Tis a tad confussing , but points make prizes and you need a whole load of points to get a deegree . You can do quite a lot of courses

AlanDITD
05-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Ahh ok so i pic a subject which could be IT and buisness as a heading, and then i study various selected sub catagories whithin that heading to gain points...and then once i gain enough points i get a degree?

Cheers john,

Just need to find out costs etc now.

stuartturbo
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Yep basic degree is 300points 60 points must be at level 3 120 must be at level 2
I have completed mine like so
Due to my
HNC this gave me 95points
Level 1 course T173 gave me 30
Level 2 course T207 gave me 60
Level 2 course T211 gave me 60
Level 3 course T307 gave me 60

This gave me a BSc open (Bachelor of Science Open)

If you wish to have a specific degree you need to look at what subjects are required.
The next level requires 360points for an BSc honours
The subject will say you must choose courses with a b g t y w etc sufex
The points level is a relation to how long they estimate you would spend on study
10–15 5–7 hours a week for up to 5 months or 10–15 hours a week for approximately 10 weeks
30-point course 7–8 hours a week for 9 months
60-point course 16 hours a week for 9 months

Time frame I got mine in 4 years with 2 little kids which was easier as once they was in bed 7ish had 2hrs a night
I seem to recall a 30point cost about £350 and a 60 was about £650

On a plus when job hunting it seemed to have respect general comment was studying with full time job and family

AlanDITD
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
can you pay it off monthly stu?

stuartturbo
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
yes they offer a loan service never used it though as I was fortunate the my employers at the time paid

chris g
05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Best thing I did after Nurse training...

Completed Honours degree - an education and broadened my mind and life experiences

I really enjoyed Summer School but not all courses have them and AFAIK not compulsory as they were when I studied with the OU

Studying with OU again in my new job...

Kieran
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Whilst not the OU, I'm finding the distance learning I'm doing with the University of Leicester very rewarding. Essentially it's the same as the OU in that you study modules to accrue credits, which you can then use towards a degree. Finding the time is difficult - Be under no illusions here; it's hard work. Two or three hours a night might not sound much, but fitted around a job, it's quite a commitment.

However, the feeling of getting an essay back with a good mark, particularly when you've fitted it around a day job, takes some beating.

stuartturbo
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Finding the time is difficult - Be under no illusions here; it's hard work. Two or three hours a night might not sound much, but fitted around a job, it's quite a commitment. I was lucky in that aspect as I was/am home by 6pm
The worst thing can be motivation
days work then in my case bath and bed kids knowing you have to put a few hours in still

However, the feeling of getting an essay back with a good mark, particularly when you've fitted it around a day job, takes some beating.

Defiantly agree there. The feeling when completed takes some beating as well