PDA

View Full Version : odd queries on my VR4 i am getting

russraff
05-08-2004, 03:08 PM
I will be getting my "new" P reg VR4 on Monday. However, I noticed two things with the car I am not sure about. Anyone shed some light?:

Firstly, the front alloy wheels were quite hot after my test drive (like a half warm radiator), is this normal? I suspect not, so I have asked for the breaks to be looked over and fixed if need be. They agreed to do this. Am I right: does the front alloys get mildly hot?

Secondly, and this is the confusing one, but there is a "SRS" light on all the time on the dash. I said that this means that there is a problem with the system and the guy said there maybe so. But if there was a problem it would need to be fixed as part of the SVA test, therefore I was not to worry. Now, this may be true, but I have heard stories of the "bulb" or whatever being disconnected so it looks like it is working. So the question is: Is the SRS light always on, and if not, does it come on briefly during ignition?

Thanks in advance,
Russell

richieelliott
05-08-2004, 03:35 PM
my srs light is always off! apart from at start up and front wheels on mine are always hot so cant help there!

Nick Mann
05-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Your alloys will help disperse heat from the brakes. If you were really test driving it, especially if it is an auto, the brakes would have been working quite hard....

The SRS light does come on when you start the car. It is one of the last to go out.

Good luck!

russraff
05-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Looks like there may have been a problem with the SRS system. I am sure they will have fixed it, they seemed like genuine people.

Or I have been had, one of the two. :undecided

If you were really test driving it, especially if it is an auto, the brakes would have been working quite hard....

I was as this is what the car is built for. At one point, going around a roundabout in Cramlington (NE of England) there was briefly 3 lights on the AYC meter! Scary stuff, but you don't know how fast you are going. In my old GT4 the noise reminds you, but the VR4 is too civilised for that.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, has anyone got a flip out display on their VR4, or other Galant for that matter? If so can you get English software for it? The one in my car I am getting looks like a standard Mitsubishi installed one.

Russell

Nick Mann
05-08-2004, 06:18 PM
You have confused me with 'flip out' display. The standard VR4 display is part of the dash...?

Search the site for MMCS to get an idea of the standard package. Post a piccy of yours to see if anyone recognises it.

russraff
05-08-2004, 06:33 PM
I will try. The car is going though it's SVA test at the moment, so I can't take a picy. If the car is back at the dealer, then I'll see about a pic tomorrow.

Russell

Nigelator
05-08-2004, 08:29 PM
ur SRS light will come on if there is a problem with ur air bags, like its had a crash and they never repaired the air bags, ($6000 per bag I hear is standed in New Zealand), allthough u have a cheeper option,,,,,, get a 12volt variable timer from an electroncs surpler,, run the light though that,,, $200-300 NZ,
I dont trust Import inspections or anyother inspection!
My car went though them and came out clean,,,Not ture! major problem with front suspention, and my gals sis got her car imported and it had it's import inspection and they forgot to "DO UP" the BRAKE NUTS AND BOLTS, took it for a couple drives and big bangs and **** wooh no brakes!

but ur wheels are ment to get hot! u generate so much heat with ur brakes 300-400 degrees with a normal stop I would expect and 800-1200 down a hell of a hill (like Aucklands bombay hills) hence the reson u shouldnt put on **** brake pads and u can feel or brakes failing or spongy driung a big stop