PDA

View Full Version : Locating engine number

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone, I've been a member on this forum for a few months, though haven't posted really (only an intro). I'm a frequent member on the ozvr4 site but lately it has been down.

My registration is currently due, and I have been left with the duty of finding my engine number (what is on the registration papers isn't enough) as they need to sight it. I am currently trying to register in a different state in Australia.

My question is: Can anyone help me by telling me where the engine number is hidden on the EC5 motors? If I can find it and have them sight it then it will save me paying for them to pull the engine bay apart until they find it.

Any help would help alot.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

wintertidenz
07-04-2010, 07:34 AM
It should be on the firewall, on the VIN plate?

elnevio
07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
It should be on the firewall, on the VIN plate?
That just shows 6A13 in respect of the engine. The other info is chassis numbers, model code, colour code, etc.

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for your replies. But they need to actually see it on the engine to know its the engine that is registered on the old registration papaers...

Nick Mann
07-04-2010, 08:16 AM
It is on the gearbox side of the block, just below the front head.

You'll probably have to remove a fair few pipes to see it.

:D

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 08:25 AM
It is on the gearbox side of the block, just below the front head.

You'll probably have to remove a fair few pipes to see it.

:D

I've got a bit of an idea... I shall have a look and see what I can see. Thanks

Nick Mann
07-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Stood at the front of the car, put your hand on the oil cap. (710 cap if you are a real n00b!) Move your hand slightly to the right and follow the metalwork straight down (maybe slightly backwards too) until it changes from the grey colour of the aluminium to the dark brown rusty colour of the cast iron. Once you have removed some intake pipework to get your hand that far down, it will be within a couplf of centimeters of the engine number.

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you very much. Learn something new every day, right?

I just had a little look and couldn't see anything (this is without removing anything). I will have another look shortly once I've removed the intake pipe.

Once again, thank you very much!

elnevio
07-04-2010, 10:11 AM
You might need to clean a bit of gunk off with some engine cleaner and a rag to see the number. :)

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I had another go. I removed the intake piping for the intercooler and the snorkle for the airbox. I still haven't been able to see anything. I tried to find the darker - rusty area but that was quite a way down that I only found once I went in from under the car.

It's so gay that I even have to do this! My plan from now is just to have an idea of where it is and just tell the mechanic so he can go straight to it.

I've attatched a pic to make sure I was looking in the correct area?

elnevio
07-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Yep, right direction!

You will need to remove the snorkel, and the inlet pipe from the intercooler (the one partially obscured under your arrow). I think that should be enough to see the number on the block?

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 11:31 AM
That's exactly what I took off... but I couldn't see any numbers or plates... I found a small number code, too small to be engine number though (3 digits)....

Is it possibly staring me in the face? Or is it maybe a little lower then I'm looking?

EDIT: Is it on a plate or just something on the engine?

elnevio
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I might have to have a look myself now! Although probably not possible for me until the weekend!

Nick Mann
07-04-2010, 12:00 PM
The radiator pipe might be hiding it?

It is a long way down to the steel block - there is a rocker cover, cam carrier and head first, all in aluminium.

I've got a non-turbo 6A13 engine sitting in the garage - let me see if I can get a more exact location for you.

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 02:13 PM
The radiator pipe might be hiding it?

It is a long way down to the steel block - there is a rocker cover, cam carrier and head first, all in aluminium.

I've got a non-turbo 6A13 engine sitting in the garage - let me see if I can get a more exact location for you.

Thanks bud. If you could please take a few photos to give me a better idea that would be awsome! I need to know by the end of tomorrow (aust time). So tomorrow morning your time if possible please.

Tomorrow I will have another look and try and get another person to look as well incase I'm missing something.

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Just getting something straight. The engine number is on the the aluminium or cast iron?

Nick Mann
07-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Cast iron.

Nick Mann
07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Not sure how useful this photo is?

It shows a non-turbo 6A13 with a VR4 box lieing next to it. They are actually about lined up, but sitting a couple of inches apart. The engine number is just above where the gearbox bolts on, on the cast iron, well below the aluminium heads. Note, the aluminium heads are different from the VR4 jobbies, so don't expect that bit to look the same!

Hope it helps a bit....

Fazzle
07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Sweet. I'm roughly getting the idea now.

Is it in roughly this spot on the picture you took...?

Nick Mann
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Yep. You can actually see it there, but you can't make out the digits. It's two lines, written close to the angle you have marked, top line just reads 6A13, bottom line has the number.

Fazzle
08-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Very much appreciate your help mate. I've located it on my engine!