PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer

baka262
07-04-2010, 12:08 PM
hi everybody.

i own VR4 Legnum,
it has Turbo timer and remote controller.
starbo RS 1500 model. timer is working but remote unit is missing.

can you help me with manual?
is it possible to buy remote unit?

thank you

elnevio
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
It has a remote control?

Do you have any pictures of what you have?

foxdie
07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a Starbo G-12 unit and know how it's wired up and configured, but as nev says, pics please so we can get a clearer picture of what we're working with :)

Turbo_Steve
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Or you could just remove it - it's pointless :)

foxdie
07-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Or you could just remove it - it's pointless :)

You know, both you and Brad say it's pointless because we have water cooled turbos, but the peace of mind is there that the whole turbo timer thing is there to help everything else settle down before turning the engine off ;)

Turbo_Steve
08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
What needs to settle down? When you switch it off, the cams, crank, pistons and everything else stop moving - and don't need oil.

Unless you're a complete idiot, you've spent 30seconds idling whilst you parked the car anyway, which is actually better as there was some load pumping the oil around the engine. As the car isn't moving, you've got a hot engine, with hot coolant, getting hotter (it's still burning fuel) with no airflow.

If you're really THAT worried about it, fit an electric fan override (so that they carry on running when the ignition is switched off) and if you're really REALLY worried then fit an electric water pump that does the same - the car will cool down cleanly.

What you DON'T want is for it to cool down to quickly - THAT does a lot of damage.

What it comes back to, though, is that the component that takes the most damage is (as always) the oil. Change it regularly, and cool down times just aren't much of an issue.

VR4WGN
08-04-2010, 01:04 AM
You know, both you and Brad say it's pointless because we have water cooled turbos, but the peace of mind is there that the whole turbo timer thing is there to help everything else settle down before turning the engine off ;)

i agree with Steve there and another good point why theyr bad is imagine you crash... Timer overides ignition therefore constantly feeding fuel to the crash and possible flames to follow with nicely fed fuel.. not very smarth people whom designed these units lol:deal2:

wintertidenz
08-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, but most turbo timers are designed to turn off when the handbrake is not engaged (unless you're silly and ground the handbrake signal wire for the timer directly to ground).

If you have an accident, the first thing you are going to do is turn the engine off (usually without the handbrake up) especially if the car is upside down.

waxer
08-04-2010, 01:43 AM
My car came with a turbo-timer fitted when it was imported from Japan. I'm not sure why because everything else on it is bog-standard. Perhaps an over-cautious owner? Or one who thrashed the hell out of it?
I usually end up overriding it, cos I'm not in the habit of going flat-out through built-up areas, so the car almost always has a good chance to cool down before stopping.
I understand the theory is that the turbos get very hot, so they need to cool slowly to prevent the oil being baked in the turbo bearing and eventually caking it up. Obviously, the best solution would be to keep oil flowing through the turbos until they are cool, second-best would be to keep the water flowing. Keeping the engine running is a cheap approximation of this.
I'm thinking of removing it, because I don't really think it's necessary.

VR4WGN
08-04-2010, 05:32 AM
your Avatar proves somewht cntradicting to your statement:soapbox: "I usually end up overriding it, cos I'm not in the habit of going flat-out through built-up areas, so the car almost always has a good chance to cool down before stopping"/Fever

either way Majority of T.Timers are NOT Grounded by the Handbreak in most cases and if you have a crash chances are slim your going to turn the engine off if your in pain with a broken rib,leg blablabla... rite??

baka262
08-04-2010, 07:43 AM
i missing this unit

http://s40.radikal.ru/i089/1004/6c/3586abe2f15c.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)

baka262
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
actually i am interesting about user manual of turbo timer.

waxer
10-04-2010, 01:38 AM
your Avatar proves somewht cntradicting to your statement:soapbox: "I usually end up overriding it, cos I'm not in the habit of going flat-out through built-up areas, so the car almost always has a good chance to cool down before stopping"/Fever

either way Majority of T.Timers are NOT Grounded by the Handbreak in most cases and if you have a crash chances are slim your going to turn the engine off if your in pain with a broken rib,leg blablabla... rite??

That was my one and only speeding offence! I realise now that my avatar is making me look a bit disreputable, so I think I'll be changing it soon.
I also realise that I've contributed to a thread-hijack here, so I'm going to shut up again for the foreseeable future (sorry baka262)...

666damned
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
i'm with steve on the issue t/timers.....not needed...mine had one fitted when it came over ...took it out straight away......dont bother m8y...(just my opinion..../toycar ),my tubo timer is my right foot.......:d

jdyort
03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I was wondering if I needed to get a Turbo Timer. Glad I read the thread. I have soooo much to learn about them.

andyleaves
22-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Funny reading this...
I was also thinking, I might need a timer.
Obviously not then...

apeman69
22-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Perhaps baka262 just wants the remote to use the remote engine start function (as indicated on picture of keyfob remote controller). Can't think of a reason you'd want the remote just to use the timer.
Good luck 'cos I think they're a few years old and I'd suspect that the manufacturer doesn't make replacements and many users will have broken or lost theirs.

elnevio
23-06-2010, 07:28 AM
That's the only use I have for a turbo timer - in the winter, I can pop out to the car about 10 mins before I leave, start the car, set the turbo timer for 10 mins, take the key out and go back in the house. By the time I'm ready to go, the car is completely defrosted, and warmed up on the inside.

andyleaves
23-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Thats cheating...
Dont you know your meant to sit in the car, teeth knocking together until they break?