PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Read Receipt

pedro
07-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know how to set up read receipts with hotmail for free.

I Have recently sent an email with an invoice attached, and the company claims they didnt receive it, even though i have proof in my sent items that it was sent.
The email wasn't bounced back either.

welshman010
07-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Are you using your browser for the mails or an application, eg outlook, live mail etc

Turbo_Steve
07-04-2010, 09:28 PM
They may not have recieved it - their spam filter may have taken one look at a hotmail address and simply 'lost' the message.

pedro
07-04-2010, 09:29 PM
just hotmail, so my browser i guess....

welshman010
07-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Cant do using browser. There is an option if you use windows live mail to access\send your emails.

pedro
07-04-2010, 09:44 PM
They may not have recieved it - their spam filter may have taken one look at a hotmail address and simply 'lost' the message.
I send them an invoice almost every week. I recon she deleted it by mistake

Cant do using browser. There is an option if you use windows live mail to access\send your emails.
I found a site called didtheyreadit.com. They offer read recipt option in hotmail with a months free trial, but i want more than just a month!!

Turbo_Steve
07-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd setup Outlook to your Hotmail account, dude. Or switch to a better e-mail provider.

pedro
07-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I'd setup Outlook to your Hotmail account, dude. Or switch to a better e-mail provider.

Ok, thanks for the info guys!!/thankyou

WizardKing
07-04-2010, 10:18 PM
As well as switching providers, I always urge customers to install a third party e-mail application, e.g. Incredimail, et. al. for security and privacy purposes.

. . . . unless they think it's acceptable for Microsoft (or others) to have copies of what they send and receive !!

Turbo_Steve
07-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Although MSOutlooks security isn't exactly legendary, it's not known for relaying mail back to MS? It would massively impact it's popularity in the Corporate world if MS were able to breeze into exchange mail stores or even end user PCs and browse mail?

I'm 100% behind using a different mail client, but only because I think diversity is the key to flexible software. I'm not a fan of Thunderbird at all, for example.

WizardKing
08-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Don't forget that Windows 2000 Server was considered to be a secure OS, initially.

Then the lid was blown off when the facts escaped. Not only was it possible to remotely operate people's webcam/audio, in secret, Gates had implemented the technology in a deal with the Fed's !

Turbo_Steve
08-04-2010, 01:03 AM
All of which is still there in Win7.

Unless the app (or OS) is actively phoning home, or compromised by additional MalWare, then your firewall router is protecting you. I am not aware of Outlooking phoning home - I'd see the traffic in my SysLogs?

wintertidenz
08-04-2010, 01:23 AM
I think Microsoft would get their ass suedf if there was a way for them to see confidential emails within companies, and I have never seen the MS Office programs 'phoning home' with the exception of activation or online help.

I wouldn't recommend to people the IncrediMail app either, it's full of spyware and other nasties.