PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Piping Heat ??

Wodjno
08-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok.. So don't think this questioned has been asked or answered before :huh2:

And it will probably result in loads of VR4 caining and Bonnet lifting as a result /woot

So last night i was pokeing around under the bonnet as i had heard a rattle from up front while passing over a bumpy piece of road. And as i had been under the bonnet a little earlier changing over the Fuel Pressure Solenoid, was hoping to find a tool of some king rattling around :whistle: But nothing was found :thumbsdow

But whilst leaning on and around the engine compartment, i noticed that the pipework to each Tubby ("Y" Pipe) were at totally different temps..

The Pipe of the"Y" coming from the Front Tubby was barely touchable for 2 seconds.. (Which to me is what i would expect :) )
But the Pipe of the "Y" coming from the rear Tubby was hot, but i was able to lean on it with my hand for as long as i wanted with no Burny Burny effect.. :huh2:

Now i have owned a few VR4's and for a little while now /Hmmm
And maybe it's just something i hadn't noticed before ?
BUT !! I'm pretty sure that on previous VR's after a reasonable ragging session that none of the pipework has been touchable without the BURNY BURNY effect /help
Even to extreme situations where even the Strutbrace is untouchable.. :whistle:

So.. Your thought and Input please ..

Is my Rear Tub not working effectively ? Or is all as it should be, but i've just not noticed before.. ? Or is my Front Tub defective and generating to much heat ?

Cheers

Wodj :D

The Vee
08-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Never noticed TBH. Immediate reaction would be that they should be similar, although the front pipe will pick up all the heat blown through the Rad. Will have a "feel" next time it's been run.

steelie600
08-04-2010, 01:34 PM
hmmm, off to give it a thrashing will report back shortly

AlanDITD
08-04-2010, 01:34 PM
cant say i every noticed either, all i remember was opening the bnnet after raging it and practically singeing my eyebrows.

The temps the turbos get to will be much much hotter than the heat from the rad at the front so i would expect both to be of equal temp.

Wodjno
08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
May the Ragging commence :D

Davezj
08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
yep, noticed this on my car before, that is why i have lagged the turbo pipes from the "Y" back to the turbos.

i think the front one gets hot due to the hot air coming from the radiator blowing straight over it, not had a chance to prove it, but that is my guess, as to why.

but it does get stupidly hot!

steelie600
08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
yup front pipe hotter than the rear!!! atleast my tyres are scrubbed up now LOL

Turbo_Steve
08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
More likely the rear bank runs a little richer because it isn't cooled by airflow.

Davezj
08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
the front pipe is also a lot closer the front head, than the rear pipe is to the rear head, if you catch my drift. so it soaks up more hear from there.