PDA

View Full Version : PS and Alt Belts

andydckent
09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Had the car in to the garage as it was due its 6 month oil and oil filter change (amsoil 0w30 of course). I asked the guys at the garage if they could also check the ball joints (which were fine) and have a look at the belts as they are squeeking an awful lot at the moment.

The guy at the garage told me that he thought the belts looked quite old and worn which came as a surpise as they had only been changed last February. Its a local garage I use and my dad has used them for years and knows the father and sons who run it quite well so I do trust them.

The belts that were used were the ones from Camskills. Does anyone else have experience of these belts (or any other belts) wearing out quickly? Is it possible that wear would occur if the belts were new but had been in stock for a long time for example?

Cheers!

Andy

elnevio
09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't have thought those ones would be likely to perish/wear early. Unless you've got another issue, e.g. worn bearing. Obviously, any of the belts that use a tensioner pulley will cause the shiny smooth wear on the outside of the belt. Has there been an oil/coolant spill/spray onto the belts? I guess this could cause premature aging.

In short, my belts from Camskill have been on mine for over a year. Not noticed anything unusual, although a closer inspection may now be required!

andydckent
09-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for that!

Is it easy enough to change these belts on their own or does it require all the stuff to come out like when you do the cambelt?

The squeaking is quite loud, annoying and 'not cool'. Is replacing the belts the only option to make it go away? Do other members belts squeak noticably?

elnevio
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
If you spray some WD-40 onto the belt while running, it will confirm which belt is making the noise, because the squealing will stop! Don't worry, the WD-40 will evaporate and the squealing will return.

Anyway - this article may prove useful! http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26070

White Lightning
09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
An incorrectly tensioned belt can also cause the squeeling. I have improved the squeel that I get from my power steering belt on startup when it's damp by correctly adjusting it but I think I am still going to have to replace it to cure it completely.

andydckent
09-04-2010, 02:23 PM
How would I know if the belt was 'correctly tensioned'? The article Nev linked makes it look not to difficult a task but doesn't mention specific tensions.

*Edit* Just noticed the bit on pressing on the belt to check tension.

apeman69
10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Anybody changed the power steering tensioner pulley? My belts had been on for only 6 months when a cold-start squeal developed that rapidly turned into a very loud annoying rhythmic, almost permanent squeal. On changing the power steering tensioner pulley for a second hand one the squeal is now only prevalent for a short period on cold starts and is less problematic than with the other pulley on. I have a new one on the way from Camskills (£64 unbelievably) and there is some reference on their site to this item needing to be changed frequently and at least when the PS belt is replaced.
Anyone know the lifespan of this pulley?

chugg
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Anybody changed the power steering tensioner pulley? My belts had been on for only 6 months when a cold-start squeal developed that rapidly turned into a very loud annoying rhythmic, almost permanent squeal. On changing the power steering tensioner pulley for a second hand one the squeal is now only prevalent for a short period on cold starts and is less problematic than with the other pulley on. I have a new one on the way from Camskills (£64 unbelievably) and there is some reference on their site to this item needing to be changed frequently and at least when the PS belt is replaced.
Anyone know the lifespan of this pulley?

Funnily enough I ordered one from camskill too (for £64) before Easter (31st March) and still hasn't arrived, phoned them yesterday, and they said they are out of stock till next Wednesday or Thursday (15th/16th April) even tho they took the money on 2nd April, but the bloke (Jim) was very apologetic. I was sure it said 'In Stock' on their website so I checked and it does says in stock but the price is now £103. Curiouser and curiouser!

Anyhow, I dont think you need to change it unless it is worn and excessive play in bearing and is noisy, it is probably just good service practice to replace it every 50000 miles or so. I repacked my existing one anyway with grease which has made it abit quieter but is still buggered (noisy and wobbley).
What happened to me was I was going along the seafront and the waves were larger than I thought and all of a sudden a the sea come crashing over the sea wall at least 30ft high and soaked the car. Nasty. So I made a hasty retreat off the Marine Drive and went home. Next day after about 20 mins driving it started with a horrible whirrrrring, I reckon as there was alot of water on the road after the wave crash that it's splashed up and got in the pulley bearing and washed it out a bit with horrible sea water. so I took off the belts (and replaced with new ones anyway). I started the car breifly without the PAS/AC belt on and the noise had gone. Theres a possiblity its the PAS or AC pulley but the old tensioer needs replacing anyway, we'll see when I get the tensioner fitted (once it arrives!)

chugg
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
BTW I rang the local Mitsi garage and they had them for £87.86

swinks
10-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I had same problem and PAS tensioner pulley was mostly to blame. ! hour work and replaced.
Here's thread:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47364

To good access to PAS tensioner you have to:
1. Loose whell nuts
2. Jack up front driver side of car
3. Take wheel off
4. Unscrew 3 screws mounting plastic cover underneath (12mm)
5. Undo 3 to 4 clips and take this cover off
Access from underneath. Locking and adjusting nut is 14mm

apeman69
16-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Funnily enough I ordered one from camskill too (for £64) before Easter (31st March) and still hasn't arrived...
Just spoken to Camskill and the parts are in customs at Birmingham airport (50 of them) so they should have possession of them late next week: for anybody who's waiting for one (including me).

White Lightning
16-04-2010, 05:07 PM
BTW I rang the local Mitsi garage and they had them for £87.86

Yep, I got one next day from Mitsi at the same price recently.

My original pulley had some play in it and I was getting some noise from the belt on startup (worse when damp). The car had done just over 70k at that time so I was assuming it was still the original pulley. Changing the pulley and correctly tensioning the PAS belt has almost eliminated the noise on mine and I now only get a slight bit of noise when it has been raining a lot (damp). That said, I have got a brand new belt to fit at some point so hopefully that will cure it completely.

chugg
17-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Just spoken to Camskill and the parts are in customs at Birmingham airport (50 of them) so they should have possession of them late next week: for anybody who's waiting for one (including me).

Nice 1, cos mines still not arrived. I phoned em yesterday too, didn't get the same story as you, but he said they should have them by Tuesday.

Beginning to wish I'd just got it from Mitsi now!

chugg
21-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Did you get your pulley apeman?

I phoned them again today but got another different story. They still have not arrived in the UK yet from America because of the present flight situation. A plausible enough story in itself, but they first told me they are coming from Japan, then your post says they are in the country awiting customs release, and now they say they are not in the country and coming from USA. Hmmm. So I just asked for a refund (they debited my card on 2nd April), still not got the refund yet like but I'll give it a day or 2, and ordered one next day from Mitsubishi albeit dearer, but hey ho, gen parts and all that.

I did notice JAS had them for £69.99 plus delivery on their eBay shop and own site tho.

I suppose it's the old saying of 'check with supplier before placing an order' !

chugg
21-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh, and apologies OP, seemed to have hijacked your thread somewhat!

apeman69
21-04-2010, 07:56 PM
chugg: haven't got it yet. I'm off on hols next week so I'll leave it until I come back. I suppose everyone's getting inaccurate info with the flights situation though the conflicting stories do seem a bit strange. It is possible that Camskill have reordered with a different supplier knowing that there was a delay in them coming from Japan.... then the airspace ban. Speaking to different sales personnel often brings up different interpretations of a company's current position (left arm/right arm syndrome).

chugg
21-04-2010, 09:22 PM
chugg: haven't got it yet. I'm off on hols next week so I'll leave it until I come back. I suppose everyone's getting inaccurate info with the flights situation though the conflicting stories do seem a bit strange. It is possible that Camskill have reordered with a different supplier knowing that there was a delay in them coming from Japan.... then the airspace ban. Speaking to different sales personnel often brings up different interpretations of a company's current position (left arm/right arm syndrome).

Cheers for the reply apeman, what you say makes sense, I'm sure no one wants to complete the sale more than them, thats the aim of any business.
I've order a few things in the past from them, just filters, rack boots etc and service has been great.
I suppose the bug bear is that they say In Stock on the website, and they took the money, then nothing from them, not even an email or phone call, and I could realy do with the pulley cos t the car is whining worse than Maggie Thatcher on the sherry. Just driving round is embarrasing!
Ah well, worst things happen!