PDA

View Full Version : Help needed....

Jared81
09-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm about to give up on my car completely.

Failed its most recent warrant because of low brake pad and disk on the front RHS. Mechanic had to use a welder or something to free up the brake caliper, and then skimmed the disk.

Then the rego expired and due a host of other financial commitments, I decided to apply for an exemption until I had the time/money to get other things looked at - namely the fact that my battery was completely drained in the space of 4 days.

I decided to jump start the car last night (money is not so tight now) and took it for a drive. The battery was completely dead prior to this drive - and weird stuff happened for the first few minutes - heater came on, front interior light flicked on, then I noticed that the ABS light was glowing as well as another little light at the top right - depicting a car skidding around. Neither light went off for the entirety of my short (and very careful) drive.

Tried to start the car again this morning, it ticks and ticks and ticks, the board lights up, but it won't turn over.

I had a similar problem last year, and the mechanic replaced the battery along with a faulty air flow meter. He said the alternator was fine.

It is honestly one problem after another with this freaking car.

First question is obviously whether anybody here has any ideas as to what's going on, second question is whether or not I should keep the bloody thing at all!

Nick Mann
09-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Your battery is still not holding enough charge. Maybe it wasn't charged enough?

aboo
09-04-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd agree with Nick. Try checking your voltage at the battery when its running to see what the alternator is doing.

Jared81
09-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I think I'll replace the battery outright - I'd probably have to spend almost as much on fuel just taking it for a decent drive to build the charge!

Cheers guys, I'll see what happens.

elnevio
10-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Does indeed sound like the battery needs replacing again. Even a 12 month old battery will give up the ghost if it's completely drained itself.

Subaru ETA
10-04-2010, 08:03 AM
pull the battery out and give it a slow charge on a proper charger.

the abs and trac lights are probably just on because the battery voltage is too low. the codes will probably read something like "voltage too low"

have you check the amp and volt reading out of the alternator? before you jump started it did you check the battery voltage?

and just because the brakes have needed replacing that is no reason to sell a car! every car wears its brakes out...just thank christ you dont have brembos on it!

Turbo_Steve
10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
If it's been left discharged for more than a week or so, it's probably knackered the battery TBH. They really REALLY don't like being stored uncharged - especially the "sealed, zero maintainance" style. If it's got the little fill holes in the top, you could potentially drain it and replace the elctrolyte, but by the time you've done this in an environmentally friendly, non-illegal way you might as well have just replaced it.

Jared81
18-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Replaced the battery, all is well. :)

Thanks guys.

elnevio
18-04-2010, 11:53 AM
:thumbsup: