PDA

View Full Version : Converting stock BOV to full atmospheric

Fazzle
10-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey everyone,

I just got back from a cruise with some friends. One of my friends has a FPV Typhoon (Australian made 4L 6cyl turbo). He has unplugged the plumb back and plugged up the pipe making the stock BOV fully atmospheric.

I contimplated doing this to my car to see how it sounded but thought I'd ask some peoples opinions first. I have the evo metal replacement BOV.

Would it be bad for the car in any way? Or would it just be the same as running a full atmospheric BOV? I don't want to buy an atmospheric BOV because my girlfriend hates them... This way I could get away with it and easily enough plumb it back.

Opinions please.

Anthony

Wodjno
10-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes you can...

Fazzle
10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
So, it's safe? It's only really to see how it sounds. I don't plan on keeping it that way all the time.

Turbo_Steve
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
The issue with doing it the way you descibre is that you cannot vary the spring strength. So you may find it leaks a little at idle, which makes you car run a bit poo.

You may also find it increases the likelihood of the car stalling when it comes to a stop - and aftermarket atmospheric will have a stronger spring in, which holds it closed under vacuum if there is no pressure on the positive side.

The factory unit is designed to have -ve pressure on one side of it, helping to hold it closed.

mattnz
10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
As above, you might leak a bit of air that will be permanently lost to atmosphere, but all you really need is a 34mm bung for the recirc pipe.

Wodjno
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
But if you just want to try it, to hear it !! Then yes you can /yes

But as stated above.. the OE recirc is made for 1 job.. And thats to recirc..

If you want the best of both worlds ? Then Google GFB Stealth FX :D

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks everyone. I might just give it a go for giggles. I'll test how much leaks on idle and how the car drives then report back to this thread.

millzy_88
11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
I tried it, sounds funny and if you have 30 mins spare do it for ****s and giggles but i wouldnt keep it that way as it is too soft. Almost stalls when it vents most of the time and rather than a tsh noise you get a long sssssshhhhhhhhh.

millzy_88
11-04-2010, 06:24 AM
I tried it, sounds funny and if you have 30 mins spare do it for ****s and giggles /toycar but i wouldnt keep it that way as it is too soft. Almost stalls when it vents most of the time and rather than a tsh noise you get a long sssssshhhhhhhhh.

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Oh really? Do you have the metal or plastic bov? I wonder if that would make a difference? I've been at work l day so haven't had a chance to get a bung. I had my friend look at his work though and they only had 32mm or 36mm. Does the 34mm bung fit on the inside or outside?

When my friend did it to his car it had a bit of a flutter sound to it. Sounded quite cool!

Sounds like the car struggles from what you described there?

Subaru ETA
11-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Hey everyone,

I just got back from a cruise with some friends. One of my friends has a FPV Typhoon (Australian made 4L 6cyl turbo). He has unplugged the plumb back and plugged up the pipe making the stock BOV fully atmospheric.

I contimplated doing this to my car to see how it sounded but thought I'd ask some peoples opinions first. I have the evo metal replacement BOV.

Would it be bad for the car in any way? Or would it just be the same as running a full atmospheric BOV? I don't want to buy an atmospheric BOV because my girlfriend hates them... This way I could get away with it and easily enough plumb it back.

Opinions please.

Anthony

those things are very sensitive to well pretty much anything! he will find that it will start running poorly and over fuelling ALOT

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Well, his tuner recommended him to do it as a bit of a **** factor. He's had problems with it leaning out on his 16psi tune. So he's running it on a more mild 9psi tune. Recon that might have helped that?

Subaru ETA
11-04-2010, 08:21 AM
what model is it BA, BF or FG? I would be careful with it if it is a BA or BF running a 16psi tune as they like to break vavle springs with that sort of power...no doubt it is about 320kw at 16psi?

is it running like a Herrod motorsport reflash or something is it?

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't know too much about fords unfortunately. I think it is a 2004 model maybe?His car is the donor car for DJR performance. I think it runs about 380kw on performance tune.

Subaru ETA
11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
that would be around about a a BA Mark II. i would be very carefull with that sort of power. we use to break valve springs at 300kw. even std ones broke valve springs!

Ford ended up putting a stronger aftermarket set of valve springs in them....we even broke a set of those in one of our more powerful ones!