PDA

View Full Version : Still have a nasty "Clunk"....

godzilla
11-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Just replaced the tie rods and rod ends on both sides, brand new OEM front roll stopper and prothane inserts on all the rest of the engine mounts.

After all that, I still have this disgusting, nasty "metalic" clunk coming from what sounds like the front left side. It only happens when going over sharp, big bumps or high speed dips.

I thought that replacing the mounts would have fixed it as they were pretty much stuffed. The knock when at lock going up driveways/gutters has been cured as the tie rods were shagged too.

I am running GAB coilovers set at as high as they can go ( just below stock hight ) and 18 x 7.5's +40's with 225 x 40's.

The three bolts atop the struts on both sides are up super tight. And the car had the recall work on the control arms done.

Is there anything else I should now try to eliminate?

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Hey bud, how you been? Haven't spoken to you since I bought my car!

Try checking out your knuckle joint on the left side suspension. It could be shot... Mine is shot and clunks quite alot. I didn't know what it was until I went for my blueslip to change the rego to NSW and the mechanic picked up on it and failed me for it...

Here is a picture of a knuckle I've just found on google images. No idea what car it is from but it is the part in the middle of the pick. If it is loose or worn then that could be something to try replacing?

EDIT: I should include the link hey? Here it is.
http://www.banskimotorsports.com/images/toe_rod_kit_knuckle_2_5l0t.jpg

godzilla
11-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey mate, im good! Has been a while.

I wish it was that (Tie rod end) but as i said, mine are brand new as of yesterday. The knock i was getting with my worn tie rods was only on rough roads where it would chatter and on lock when going up a driveway etc.

Do coilovers have anything that can fail on them?

eyeballprawn
11-04-2010, 07:30 AM
strut top bushing worn?

godzilla
11-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Hmmm, how do i accsess that Dylan? What does that part do and were does it sit? I think Dawso may have mentioned that too.

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Oh ok sorry I didn't realise it was the same thing!

What type of hat is on the coilovers? The coilovers I use to have on my lancer had the pillow ball mount and I use to get a clunk noise from the left side which turned out to be the pillow ball was rooted (knocking around in it's seat)...

eyeballprawn
11-04-2010, 08:28 AM
And some cars have bearings there instead. Basically, all the stuff up the top where the strut mounts to the body you should check out. I'm not sure how much can be accessed from the top or what you need to remove the strut to access from underneath sorry. At a guess from working on other cars you probably have to come in from underneath. :(

godzilla
11-04-2010, 08:31 AM
The coilover should come out in one piece, should'nt it? Or should i take it to a suspension shop?

godzilla
11-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Oh ok sorry I didn't realise it was the same thing!

What type of hat is on the coilovers? The coilovers I use to have on my lancer had the pillow ball mount and I use to get a clunk noise from the left side which turned out to be the pillow ball was rooted (knocking around in it's seat)...

Thanks Ant, i am going to add this to the list by the looks.

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
If you take out the whole unit and move the camber plate around you should notice whether it is stuffed. It's not too expensive but it will be a common problem with coilovers on Australian roads unfortunately...

One question Trev, where did you get your knuckle from? And how much?

godzilla
11-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140349784364&viewitem=)

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
God damnit! I had to get it done for them to pass my blueslip (it's ordered but a few weeks shipping) and it cost me $186 for one knuckle... I lost out this time! Did you fit it yourself? It looks simple but I've been told the nuts can be on at <140psi...

godzilla
11-04-2010, 10:15 AM
OUCH!! That is a rort!

Yep, fitted them yesterday. Took me about 4 hours all up but that was including waiting nearly an hour to get a wheel alignment.

If you were only fitting the tie rod end (what you are referring to as a knuckle) it would take like 15-20 min a side including taking the wheel off and refitting! I took my time and i also had to go for a trip to the nearest auto shop as i didn't have a spanner big enough to get the tie rod off.

Yea, the lock nut for the rod end was tight but not THAT tight.

Fazzle
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Bugger! This mechanic has stooges me! He's also charged me $60 for labour. I might buy a kit and replace all of them once i've got a bit of cash again. I'd say the part is expensive because he got it through Mitsubishi. Next time I need any parts I might sent you an email if that is ok? You seem to know where to get things!

I had to get it done though as I couldn't afford to have my car off the road while I got one

godzilla
11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah , the OEM units are a rip. I would imagine he would have used it. He could have asked around and found that there are tie rod ends available off the shelf at repco etc (roadtek or something like that) for around 20-30 bucks.

Ask me what ever you want mate, if I can help I will. But I cannot take credit for finding that particular part as I got that info from Kat and Rob back home (OZVR4) at the begining of the year.

Back to my prob. The more I think about it, the idea of a rooted strut bush etc makes sense. I noticed today, even after the new tie rods that when stationary and turning lock to lock, I could still feel a slight knock.

w1k3d
12-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Mine also suffers from this symptom! I have had various mechanics check it out. No one could explain it. In the end they all just come up with "replace the strut"; but I'm not convinced.

Seems weird how everyone that has experienced this issue, seems to occur on the left side.

Fazzle
12-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Yeah it is odd but it is true. I've got 2 friends who also had coilovers in their lancers and had the same problem on the left side.

Here is a photo of my pillow ball when I was inspecting it when I first suspected it was the problem. I was able to roll it around easily with my fingers and slightly up and down... It was shot! The pic just shows what part to look for.

andydckent
12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Guys I have this exact problem!!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40361

It seemed to have gone away during the winter but now its getting warmer again its coming back.

How do I solve it?

Cheers!

Andy

godzilla
12-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Andy, from reading your thread you have solved the knocking caused by the tie rod, correct? That was what was happeng to me when turning and going up bumps( big or small)

My other clunk is when going straight and over large bumps. I will be checking out my strut tops on the weekend.

I am not sure that weather could have anything to do with your prob. Your symptoms have reduced after the tie rod fix. Have you changed any driving habits since it had warmed?

andydckent
12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
We thought that we had solved the problem by changing the tie rod but the same noise came back soon after. Not changed driving habits since its warmed up but it does appear to get worse on hotter days?

The Vee
13-04-2010, 12:05 AM
If the noise is being made when the vehicle is stationary but turned from lock to lock, it is unlikely to be the strut as they do not turn on these cars only up & down whenmoving or "bounced" when stationary. If you've checked all else, like swivel joints, rubber bushes etc, have you checked the actual steering rack mounting is secure. One other thing to check on the strut if it is coming from there is that the damper piston top nut is tight and that the rubber bush and metal sleeve are aligned correctly.

godzilla
16-04-2010, 03:35 AM
UPDATE

Just had my car inspected at a Pedders suspension shop. They have found that BOTH front strut top "connections" are rooted. Now i have GAB coilovers, are the strut tops universal or will i have to source something from GAB?

He mentioned that the ball had come away from the rubber or something. Make any sense?

godzilla
16-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Bump

Fazzle
16-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd try go through GAB but anyone who makes coilovers for our car that look simular should fit...

godzilla
16-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I have tried looking for a GAB distributers but it seems they don't excist?

Also, are you sure any may fit? Of course the three bolt holes will be fine but what about centre hole size and depth etc?

godzilla
17-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Bumpity bump bump /Wyhy

Just keen to know if anything evo will fit.

Ta

godzilla
18-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Pics. First is drivers side and the others are the bad passenger side

godzilla
19-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I am dying here, please someone put me out of my misery lol

Are the strut tops the same - VR4 & Evo?
Do i have to use GAB tops or is there universal?

Thanks

Trev